Amplifier for Audiolab M-DAC and ATC SCM 40 Speakers

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
All,

Would like to check on your experience and suggestions regarding my setup. Currently redoing my system and I made decision to keep only digital sources. I have M-DAC and for several months it works great and I have no real complains about its sound quality. My speakers are ATC SCM 40, which I like and do not think will be selling them any time soon. So, right now I need amplification in between these two, and since M-DAC has a built-in preamp I thought of buying a stereo power amp instead of an integrated. What amp would you suggest as good partner to both M-DAC and ATCs?

My current short list includes the new Quad Platinum Stereo and Musical Fidelity M6PRX. Can anyone comment on their performance? Maybe any other suggestions? I am going to audition these, but with Quad it is sort of more difficult and it also takes time to combine all the components in one demo room, so wanted to get your opinion first before I start arranging anything. I more or less know MF music presentation, but have very little knowledge about Quads.

My music preference is jazz, but I also listen to many of the other genres except for rock music (especially heavy styles). Prefer detailed sound, but with bit of smoothness at top end.

Thanks

markvh1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

i can only recommend the ATC power amps. I have gone through a steady upgrade path to finally reach the ATC SCM40's with the ATC P1 power amp. They go fantastically well together. I don't reckon I will be upgrading again. They sound great with anything. Am currently playing Muse Absolution. Sounds fantastic, then play Madeleine Peyroux or Melody Gardot, they sound out of this world. Rick at Musicraft is your friend to discuss what goes well with ATC speakers.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
For jazz and wanting detail with just a touch of smoothness at the top end, as well as the P1 you might also want to consider primare amplification, such as the a33.2 (which I use with 40s).

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
While I have no doubt it will sounds great with a decent power amp, my understanding/experience of the mDac is that is has a digital volume control, rather than a true preamp built in.

None of the equipment that I have used or owned with digital volume control has sounded as good as a dedicated amp or preamp. It tends to sound flat and no where near as musically satisfying, for want of a better way to describe it.

If I were you I would demo the mDac acting as pre with a power amp, but also compare the mDac fixed output into a similar price integrated amp, as you may prefer the latter.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately ATC power amp is not an option for me since they are not being actively sold and usually out of stock where I am and I do not want to buy it without dealer demo, etc. This would have probably been an ideal combination though.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
gregvet said:
While I have no doubt it will sounds great with a decent power amp, my understanding/experience of the mDac is that is has a digital volume control, rather than a true preamp built in.

None of the equipment that I have used or owned with digital volume control has sounded as good as a dedicated amp or preamp. It tends to sound flat and no where near as musically satisfying, for want of a better way to describe it.

If I were you I would demo the mDac acting as pre with a power amp, but also compare the mDac fixed output into a similar price integrated amp, as you may prefer the latter.

Very intersting comment, thank you. I actually heard from others that M-DAC sounds best when used as preamp (with volume control enabled), and I am going to test it to see if this indeed true or not.

dragon76 said:
Unfortunately ATC power amp is not an option for me since they are not being actively sold and usually out of stock where I am and I do not want to buy it without dealer demo, etc. This would have probably been an ideal combination though.

Hi dragon76

What amplification did you audition SCM40 monitors with?

What amplification are you currently using?

Other then the Quad and MF what other power amplifiers are available for you to audition?

Your maximum budget?

Btw, could you clarify as to what you mean by ATC's P1 power amplifier not being actively sold?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
dragon76 said:

Hi dragon76

Other then the Quad and MF what other power amplifiers are available for you to audition?

Your maximum budget?

Btw, could you clarify as to what you mean by ATC's P1 power amplifier not being actively sold?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

For some time I've been using Plinius 9100 as my amplification, and it is rather old right now and will be moving (along with my vinyl setup) to another home, so looking right now at some new amplifier. Plinius was and is a very good amplifier and works fine with ATC, and I can potentially replace it with 9200 or Hautonga, but the current pricing for the latter makes it an overkill for my current system and the room.

Re my statement that 'ATC is not actively sold..' I meant that I am not in the UK and where I am the ATC amps are not very popular and it is hard to find one at dealers, most of them sold on preorder basis, which is something I do not want to do. However if I manage to find one available I'll definitely consider it.

My budget is lower the better, but I can happily consider options around 1500-2500 pounds.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi dragon 76 I run a mf m6i with my atc scm 40s and it sounds fantastic the mf m6 power amp delivers 260w per channel

and will Be a good match for your speakers good luck :) :)

dragon76 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
dragon76 said:

Hi dragon76

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

For some time I've been using Plinius 9100 as my amplification, and it is rather old right now and will be moving (along with my vinyl setup) to another home, so looking right now at some new amplifier. Plinius was and is a very good amplifier and works fine with ATC, and I can potentially replace it with 9200 or Hautonga, but the current pricing for the latter makes it an overkill for my current system and the room.

Re my statement that 'ATC is not actively sold..' I meant that I am not in the UK and where I am the ATC amps are not very popular and it is hard to find one at dealers, most of them sold on preorder basis, which is something I do not want to do. However if I manage to find one available I'll definitely consider it.

My budget is lower the better, but I can happily consider options around 1500-2500 pounds.

Hi dragon76

Thanks for your reply.

I feel finding ATC's P1 power amplifier will be worth the time and effort as the P1 pairs well with the M-DAC and SCM40 monitors.

Anyway NAD's C275BEE power amplifier is also worth consideration. The C275BEE has got very good quality of power and a presentation which is smooth, fast and detailed which should suit the genre of music you listen to. Simple and robust amplification at a fair price
smiley-smile.gif

Out of interest what colour did you choose for your SCM40's please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Anatta

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Simaudio Moon 330A & Bladelius Balder

Both are slightly warm and smooth sounding which the ATCs will benefit from and they're within your budget.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
gregvet said:

the volume control in the M-DAC is indeed digital. The internal bit rate is however, 32bit. Quite enough to be able to process volume without raising the noise floor signicantly unless you are using the control right down the bottom end of its range which is extremely unlikely. I use the volume control on my M-DAC with its output feeding the power amp section in my amplifier thus bypassing the preamp & its switching entirely. I can, by changing inputs on my amp, run through the preamp stage but the sound is slightly worse. The M-DAC can be set to fixed out but is identical to the variable at 0dB. My normal listening levels have me setting the M-DAC from between -20 to -30. Below such levels the volume is low enough to mask any theoretical ill effects anyway.

Some people prefer their M-DAC running into their preamp so YMMV. One issue is that power amps are really meant to be partnered with their own preamps so the total gain is shared differently from brand to brand & the input impedance of the power amp can vary significantly. There's no set standards as there with so-called Pro audio where mixing & matching is much easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts