dynaudio dm 2/7 with marantz pm6003 or yamaha a-s500 or myryad z142?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
dear audiophiles,

I just had an extensive listening session with dynaudio dm 2/7, xavian primissima and chario delphinus. I listen exclusively to classical music, mostly piano/violin, solo or concertos

I must say demo-ing speakers in my location is little tough and i have little chance to try out the amps and speakers.

I am currently settled on the dynaudio dm2/7. I sampled it on a ~433 pounds Myryad z142 and it sounded great. I heard raving reviews about the marantz and the yamaha. I don't know how these amps perform. Will they perform better than the Myryad z142 or worse? Do they have enough power for a 12x10 ft living room with about 1 feet from a wall?

I know I am supposed to try them out myself but it was already hard finding Dynaudio in my location. I can barely afford the myryad z142 but every saving helps

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Revan

samiur:
dear audiophiles,

I just had an extensive listening session with dynaudio dm 2/7, xavian primissima and chario delphinus. I listen exclusively to classical music, mostly piano/violin, solo or concertos

I must say demo-ing speakers in my location is little tough and i have little chance to try out the amps and speakers.

I am currently settled on the dynaudio dm2/7. I sampled it on a ~433 pounds Myryad amp (model unknown) and it sounded great. I heard raving reviews about the marantz and the yamaha. I don't know how these amps perform. Will they perform better than the Myryad amp (sorry about the missing model) or worse? Do they have enough power for a 12x10 ft living room with about 1 feet from a wall?

I know I am supposed to try them out myself but it was already hard finding Dynaudio in my location. I can (barely) afford the 433 pound Myryad amp but every saving helps

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Revan

Hi Revan

Fwiw, i've extensively used the A-S500 with DM 2/7's and this combination works superbly
emotion-2.gif

Btw, where are you based please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

i agree with rick
emotion-11.gif
, the dm 2/7s are fantastic speakers that work brilliantly with the as-500
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the quick replies!

I am in Hong Kong. The dealers here can be classified into 2 categories, big chains and small shops.

Big chains usually carry 2 to 3 brands of speakers, 2 to 3 brands of amplifiers, and 1 to 2 brand of power system/cables etc. Price is the recommended price marked by the local distributor, the Chario Delphinus sells for ~HK9,200 to HK10,800 (about 724 to 850 pounds, at 12.7 conversion rate) a pair, with at most 5% credit card deduction. Big Chains also carry goods such as air conditioners, and washing machines...

Small shops carry about 5 to 10 brands and about 30 models of speakers. Amplifiers choices are limited to about 10 to 20, and include AV receivers. Price is MUCH cheaper than big chains. The Chario Delphinus sells for ~HK8,800 (about 692 pounds) a pair. Some shops are shady and are known for carrying re-packaged (used/display) models.

In terms of listening experience, big chains are usually worse. Usually there is no dedicated showroom, or 1 at most. Cheaper models (<600 pounds) are displayed "in the open", that means along with other speakers. Service is as poor as you can imagine and the staff knowns nothing about hi-fi. In one audition the staff started talking after 1 minute of playing, bah!

Small shops are better, they usually have 2 to 3 small showrooms. The problem is you don't often get to use them. I auditioned a pair of ~700 pounds speakers with a ~200 pounds amp, and they had me listen to the speakers along with the movie-playing TV! Most shops adopt a give-or-take attitude towards buyers of cheaper equipments (<1000 pounds systems!), showrooms are reserved for big buyers, bah!

Since the brands are limited, one doesn't get to try out different amp. In the shop I eventually settled in, I was presented with 1 choice for ~250 pounds amplifier, 1 choice of 433 pounds amp, and 3 to 5 choices for >1000 pounds amp.

For all shops, exchange can be done only within 7 days of purchase upon proof of defect. Usually a customer has to drag the damn speaker to the shop to prove his claim. If you don't like the equipment you can sell them, but the shops won't take them back. Warranty is done poorly. Again a customer needs to take the damn thing to wherever the distributor is located. On-site examination costs about 20 pounds each. Parts and workmanship are covered but if the goods need to be sent to a foreign country for repair, customer pays for shipping (!!!). For all the hassels you get from sick service, you do get the absolutely lowest price in the planet. The price is cheaper than most of Europe, US, and even Mainland China!

I eventually settled for the Myryad z142 despite the positive reception of the Yamaha here. Afterall it is listed at 900 pounds in the UK, and I supposed it should beat the 500 pounds king (Yamaha). The second reason is that the local distributor did NOT import the A-S500, they only sell the A-S300 and A-S700 (338 pound). I wasn't in a gambling mood, so I bought everything I saw: the Dyna 2/7, the Myryad, and the cables (sound from heaven). I am happy with the setup, now Heifetz doesn't sound screechy anymore!

A

Anonymous

Sure I am obliged

A word of warning though, I wasn't able to AB test many amplifiers. I have not tried this amp on other speakers

Testing was done in a dedicated audition room with about 4 Wesley Snipes (shoulder to shoulder) between the Dyna 2/7, and 1 Wesley Snipes from the speaker to the side wall (approximate). About 2.5m from screen to speaker, and 2m from speaker to sofa.

Only 3 amplifiers were tried with the Dyna 2/7, one ~200 pound Teac, one ~433 pound Myryad, and one ~1600 pound Cine something. Testing material was the last movement of Heifetz playing Scottish Fantasy

I had extensive listening experience with the cinexxxx and it was good. The harp was clear and well shaped. The violin sounded natural, the strings sounded very life-like, with definitive bounce to it. Bass was good with a lot of punch without the cello sounding muddled (i.e. bass with details). I cannot comment on the sound stage though, because the CD has a very terrible soundstage reproduction (instrument came either from left OR right, not center)

The Z145 compares very favourably with the 1600 pound CineXXX. I could not tell the difference except by the end, where Heifetz was playing solo. The highs were a little bit not as sweet. It could be just my perception. All in all I am very happy with the string reproduction (violin, harp and cello, at different position!)

The Teac was a nightmare, the violin was screechy throughout. The highs were distorted to intolerable level (much like my headphone DT990 250ohm).

Hope that helps :D

A

Anonymous

hi link

You can try it out at 10/F, Yau Shing Commercial Centre, Mong Kok Exit E2. The shop is called Wah Yan AV Shop or something.

Have fun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts