DVD Upscalong & 24fps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking now of buying the Panasonic BD35 Blu Ray player, but was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison on its upscaling of DVD's alongside one of the best DVD decks, such as the Denon 1940?

I think it would be a good feature in the magazine, getting the best from your DVD collection at various price points....

Also, do any Blu Ray players play DVD's at 24fps, or is that unique to Blu Ray?

A

Anonymous

I've read that the Panasonic players fail quite badly on some of the HQV benchmark tests. Not a concern for me as I have a separate DVD player, but still...

I seem to remember that some BD players (although it might have been HD DVD players) can be forced to output DVDs at 24fps, but there's no real benefit to doing so. Content is stored differently on DVD than it is on BD.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
philnavigator:
I am thinking now of buying the Panasonic BD35 Blu Ray player, but was wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison on its upscaling of DVD's alongside one of the best DVD decks, such as the Denon 1940?

I think it would be a good feature in the magazine, getting the best from your DVD collection at various price points....

Also, do any Blu Ray players play DVD's at 24fps, or is that unique to Blu Ray?

I used to have the Denon 1940 and my current BD player is a better upscaler. Not a lot in it but better all the same. I paid £200 for the Denon (you can get them for £150 now) and £300 for the Sony (you can get them for £220 now), so no brainer really. As for 24 fps on dvd - no.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, this is exactly what I joined to ask! Although I have a Denon 2930, which is a superb upscaler. I've got a massive DVD collection but want to get into Blu-Ray but don't want to get rid of all my DVDs. If I buy the Panasonic DMP-BD55, can it upscale as well as the Denon 2930?! I don't have room for both in my cabinet! Hopefully Clare Newsome or someone else is on line that can help?! Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I definitely think this is worth a feature in the mag, covering a few different price points and what you can get from your DVD's. I noticed in another mags recent awards issue that there three different DVD players under £160, that were rated as being excellent upscalers, so it makes you wonder what you would have to pay for a Blu Ray player that will equal that level of performance with DVD's.

Theres no question that Blu Ray is superior, but I for one won't be repurchasing all my movies in another format, I will only switch to buying new releases on Blu Ray from the point when I buy a deck to play them on, so I want the best I can get for my exisintg collection.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely! But surely we must be in the right place to get an informed answer?! The guys that did the reviews on all these players must have a pretty good idea as to their upscaling abilities and how they compare to eachother? As I said before, my Denon 2930 is pretty awesome, but is the technology now updated and surpassed by even the cheaper, modern DVD players? Probably not, but maybe! That's what someone at WHF need to tell us....... hopefully.....

A

Anonymous

It sure does, and I noticed the comment about the video on the 35 & 55 being the same, so I will happily save some cash and go for the 35, as pairing its HD audio with something like the Yamaha 863SE will be fine for me.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I have a Yamaha S2700 DVD player, which cost £900 at launch. I also recently purchased the Panasonic '35 Blu-ray player and, apart from the merits of the Blu-ray sound and vision, have been really impressed with its standard DVD upscaling quality. I can discern little difference - both vision and sound - between the Yamaha and the Panasonic players.

As I say, I'm really impressed with the Pana '35, both Blu-ray and standard DVD duties.

(Yamaha RX-V3800 amp, Monitor Audio Gold Reference speakers 5.1)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts