DV7001 vs CD6002

Nohairnick

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi All -

My Marantz CD50SE (purchased in 1990) has finally expired beyond 'fixableness' (now in very small pieces in a landfill -RIP!!) and I want to buy another CD player (and amp, and speakers, and TV -but that's another story) but also want a reasonably futureproofed DVD player as well.

I guess I'm not unique in trying to minimise the amount of kit sitting in the rack - a far cry from my younger years when I tried to impress my friends with the huge slabs of black plastic sitting glowing in the corner!!- and for this reason I'm hoping that someone out there can give me a realistic comparison of the CD playback quality between the Marantz DV7001 multiformat disc player and the CD6002.

They have both received rave reviews and scored well, but within the boundaries of their respective classes.

The bottom line is, I would love a one-box solution but will I get significantly better sound and video reproduction with the CD6002 + a mid-range stand alone DVD player (such as the Denon 1940), this combination being roughly the same price as the stand alone player.

I hope whatever I get will last as long as my old model!!

Any advice or opinion is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Nick

Nohairnick

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
Morning to you!

Both these options retail at £500 - £600ish and that's pretty much what I anticpate spending. Obviously less is better- but I won't penny pinch and I don't mind spending (a bit) more if there is an even better solution out there.

Cheers,

Nick

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Truth is, any DVD player, however good (and the Marantz is very good) will still be a slight compromise when it comes to CD playback. If you really want the best sound with your music, then a dedicated CD player such as the Marantz CD6002 is the way to go.

Nohairnick

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm still in a quandary though.

How would DV7001 do in a test as a stand alone CD players? Would it trounce £150 machines but struggle vs £250 units?

I'm not sure I could justify spending £600 on a DVD player alone - it is the added bonus of quality CD playback that gives the DV7001 its main benefit.

Given the choice of a DV7001 -or- CD6002 + Denon 1940 what represents the best overall value? How much of the DV7001's £600 is a premium for its musicality (that may not get used)?

I know that the bottom line will always be to go and listen for myself but this is easier said than done! I respect the opinions of those of you that make a living out of doing it for us!!

Regards, Nick

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO the DV7001 would be pretty near to the CD6002 in terms of CD playback. As a compromise, it's a lot less compromised than most DVD players at its price.

Nohairnick

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your views. It's much appreciated.
emotion-21.gif

Regards, Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts