Dual subs or one better sub?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Sounds like minds made up get the ported and let us know how you get on?

probably change my mind again soon. i want the piano black finish that only the sb-2000 has for some reason..hopefully buy one early next week!

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Why not go for SB2000? Sealed subs are less fussy regarding placement.

what other subs are there upto the price of £650 that are in the same league as pb-2000 or sb-2000?

want to consider all options and you seem to have a fast knowledge of all things subwoofers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I know how to make a subwoofer sing rather than know the whole market.

However I have never had a ported sub to play with other than one I designed and built years ago. Wish I knew then that was for pa not home audio.

I know the more expensive end of the market better.

The pb2000 doesn't come in gloss odd, keeping the cost down

Only other sub I can think of is the monolith.

Bear in mind with sealed subs you need a lot of power to get the low end out of it because the low end is boosted so if you want a lot out output you need a lot of power

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I know how to make a subwoofer sing rather than know the whole market.

However I have never had a ported sub to play with other than one I designed and built years ago. Wish I knew then that was for pa not home audio.

I know the more expensive end of the market better.

The pb2000 doesn't come in gloss odd, keeping the cost down

Only other sub I can think of is the monolith.

Bear in mind with sealed subs you need a lot of power to get the low end out of it because the low end is boosted so if you want a lot out output you need a lot of power

im getting the pb-2000 for sure. not even gonna demo the sb. read a review of it on avsforums and the pb-2000 shook his pants a few times and hit him in the chest. hopefully i will feel the bass a bit of this sub too as i only have felt it once with my dali at extreme volumes (about 110db) and it wasnt even that noticable.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I thought it was you whom we have been through this before.

The room is shaking because you have a node or many nodes. Your right clean bass doesn't do that. I have had 1 bk xls400 do bass you feel though no problem and that's not the best of subs for movies.

Have you tried what I suggested before re the alignment of your bass i.e setting the distance to be properly in time??

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

The room is shaking because you have a node or many nodes. Your right clean bass doesn't do that. I have had 1 bk xls400 do bass you feel though no problem and that's not the best of subs for movies.

Have you tried what I suggested before re the alignment of your bass i.e setting the distance to be properly in time??

you mean the thing you posted on this thread? no. it looked difficult to setup and i think the sounds are fine as they are anyway. i still want a pb-2000 so if i have issues after getting it i shall use that as last resort (if i can work it out)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

you mean the thing you posted on this thread? no. it looked difficult to setup and i think the sounds are fine as they are anyway. i still want a pb-2000 so if i have issues after getting it i shall use that as last resort (if i can work it out) 

It's easy you download the file and burn to a dvd

Then play it in your player and listen to the sound and adjust the sub distance.
Nothing could be any easier.
That's the easiest thing to do for setting up bass properly, the rest is much more difficult

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
im getting the pb-2000 for sure. not even gonna demo the sb. read a review of it on avsforums and the pb-2000 shook his pants a few times and hit him in the chest. hopefully i will feel the bass a bit of this sub too as i only have felt it once with my dali at extreme volumes (about 110db) and it wasnt even that noticable.

Nugget2014, in future it's always useful if you give the actual internet link, because it saves other people's time if they want to contribute. And you mention avsforums, I couldn't fnd a review of the PB2000 on www.avsforums.com at all. However, bigboss mentioned an audioholics review, and I found this one http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000 which mentions, as you do, shaking his pants legs, but note that the SB2000 also does that, not only the PB2000. However, as you yourself mentioned avsforums, what I did find on the avsforums website was this review of the PC2000, which for some reason you seem to have overlooked http://www.avsforum.com/svs-pc-2000-subwoofer-official-avs-forum-review/ and the review says that it sounds as good or better than the PB2000. Reference Home Theater also reviewed it here http://referencehometheater.com/review/svs-pc-2000-subwoofer-review/ (which also embeds a link to a PB2000 review http://referencehometheater.com/review/svs-pb-2000-review/) and lastly, there is a user's review of the PC2000 here http://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/subwoofers/l/svs that the PC2000 is exactly the same price as the PB2000, so it's just a case of deciding if you like the look of the cylinder as opposed to the box. I happen to have two SVS cylinder subwoofers, but I know that their appearance is not to everyone's taste.

I've looked into the PC2000 because I myself will be getting one early in the New Year, a late Christmas present from my pension fund!

Please let me know if all this has been useful to you, because if it hasn't been useful, I'll back off completely.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They do make sense but remind people of this

312-Jb5mWcL.jpg
*blum3*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
nugget2014 said:

Nugget2014, in future it's always useful if you give the actual internet link, because it saves other people's time if they want to contribute. And you mention avsforums, I couldn't fnd a review of the PB2000 on www.avsforums.com at all. However, bigboss mentioned an audioholics review, and I found this one http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000 which mentions, as you do, shaking his pants legs, but note that the SB2000 also does that, not only the PB2000. However, as you yourself mentioned avsforums, what I did find on the avsforums website was this review of the PC2000, which for some reason you seem to have overlooked http://www.avsforum.com/svs-pc-2000-subwoofer-official-avs-forum-review/ and the review says that it sounds as good or better than the PB2000. Reference Home Theater also reviewed it here http://referencehometheater.com/review/svs-pc-2000-subwoofer-review/ (which also embeds a link to a PB2000 review http://referencehometheater.com/review/svs-pb-2000-review/) and lastly, there is a user's review of the PC2000 here http://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/hi-fi-speakers/subwoofers/l/svs that the PC2000 is exactly the same price as the PB2000, so it's just a case of deciding if you like the look of the cylinder as opposed to the box. I happen to have two SVS cylinder subwoofers, but I know that their appearance is not to everyone's taste.

I've looked into the PC2000 because I myself will be getting one early in the New Year, a late Christmas present from my pension fund!

Please let me know if all this has been useful to you, because if it hasn't been useful, I'll back off completely.

i heard he pc-2000 isn't quite as good as the pb many times from people on reviews and videos etc. And I prefer the ported look. The pc has. Down firing driver which I don't like I prefer front firing

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
i heard he pc-2000 isn't quite as good as the pb many times from people on reviews and videos etc. And I prefer the ported look. The pc has. Down firing driver which I don't like I prefer front firing

The avsforums link that I gave reviewing the PC2000 said that it was at least as good as, maybe slightly better, than the PB2000, and the other link also liked the PC2000 quite a lot. Still, if you don't like down-firing subwoofers, that rules it out. I myself currently use six subwoofers, two ported and four sealed, but all down-firing!

I'm sure that you'll be very happy with the PB2000.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
when i hear that sealed integrates better than ported. it wouldnt solve the issue that i currently have would it? where i get better bass in 1 seat and the other 2 arent as great. i suspect not but want to confirm. its quite annoying how its deeper and a bit louder! my damn room is impossible to fix. tried every placement for my sub..

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Seen a sunfire hrs-12 go for £350 on avforums looked up the specs seems an amazing sub although quite old. How does it compare to newer subs such as pb-2000? At £350 it seemed bargain.. Although be lucky to find another one again

nugget2014 said:
when i hear that sealed integrates better than ported. it wouldnt solve the issue that i currently have would it? where i get better bass in 1 seat and the other 2 arent as great. i suspect not but want to confirm. its quite annoying how its deeper and a bit louder! my damn room is impossible to fix. tried every placement for my sub..

That's why best to demo both sealed and ported. The last thing you want is a boomy sub because of wrong placement.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
give me your room dimensions width height and lenght and I will put it into rew sim for you and see what comes out

I will need your seating location as well

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:
give me your room dimensions width height and lenght and I will put it into rew sim for you and see what comes out

I will need your seating location as well

17l 10w 10h is that what you mean?

Yes and where do you sit?

i don't know how to tell you to make it useful information. Well I sit 2ft from the back wall! Was 4ft from back wall but kept moving sofa back to see if sound improved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts