Does Unitiqute has anough power for KEF ls50?

aras.g

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello

My first hifi system and first post :)

A long story short. After a lot of auditions of speakers chosen ls50. Kefs would go with Naim Unitiqute. But now after some reads I have doubts about UQ power. Looks like ls50 are power hungry. So another way to go could be Naim 5i with srtreamer (pioneer n-50) or Unitilite. Couldn't get audition by my self so far so trying to ask advice. Maybe somebody already done comparison and did you hear any improvement with 50w per channel over 30w?

aras.g said:
Hello

My first hifi system and first post :)

A long story short. After a lot of auditions of speakers chosen ls50. Kefs would go with Naim Unitiqute. But now after some reads I have doubts about UQ power. Looks like ls50 are power hungry. So another way to go could be Naim 5i with srtreamer (pioneer n-50) or Unitilite. Couldn't get audition by my self so far so trying to ask advice. Maybe somebody already done comparison and did you hear any improvement with 50w per channel over 30w?

Welcome to the forum.

It would be interesting to know where you auditioned them with and with what.

Yes, they are pretty inefficient so why have you decided on them?

jjbomber

I heard the LS50s with the 30wpc Heed Obelisk. There weren't any problems there, so I don't think that the LS50s can be that power hungry. I was about 8metres away, so they were at a decent volime. I don't think there will be any problems for the Unitiqute. As always, audition first.

aras.g

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough. I did almost all auditions with Unitiqute and it sounded fine but I red on forums that some fellows is buying this speakers for 10k systems so I consider that more powerful amp could give me even better sound.

aras.g

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Welcome to the forum.

My first audition was at Rischer Sounds. We did try Tannoy DC6T SE, Dali Ikon 6 MK2 and Dynaaudio DM 3/7. They doesn't stock Naim so we used Cambridge Audio amp. Never had HiFi before and doesn't know where to start, so I tried what they suggested. Left disappointed. None of them was close what I was expecting. Second time gone to Cymbiosis. This time after couple weeks in forums I had my list what I want to try: Rega RS5, Spendor A5, KEF R300, Totem Aros, Kudos X2. Unitiqute on the other end. Again, none of them I was completely happy.Third time I was visiting Audio-T. All speakers again with UQ. We started with KEF R500. For my taste to muddy and to boomy. After follow Monitor Audio Silver 8. I like it more than KEF, but it still wasn't what I wanted. Next one was PMC Twenty 21. Play button. Couple seconds. Large smile on my face.Performer was staying in front of me. Sound stage like this I din't experienced before. Bass was so controlled and trebles so sweet. It was so pleasure to listen it. So this is sound what I was looking for.After that I was strongly suggested to try KEF ls50. And again, so wide sound stage. So clear all instruments. Nice controlled bass. And almost half a price of PMC's. I think I still liked PMC's a bit more because of sweeter trebles but the price is a lot higher for them. Though would like to try PMC DB1i. Maybe they are not far for twenty 21.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
aras.g said:
Al ears said:
Welcome to the forum.

My first audition was at Rischer Sounds. We did try Tannoy DC6T SE, Dali Ikon 6 MK2 and Dynaaudio DM 3/7. They doesn't stock Naim so we used Cambridge Audio amp. Never had HiFi before and doesn't know where to start, so I tried what they suggested. Left disappointed. None of them was close what I was expecting. Second time gone to Cymbiosis. This time after couple weeks in forums I had my list what I want to try: Rega RS5, Spendor A5, KEF R300, Totem Aros, Kudos X2. Unitiqute on the other end. Again, none of them I was completely happy.Third time I was visiting Audio-T. All speakers again with UQ. We started with KEF R500. For my taste to muddy and to boomy. After follow Monitor Audio Silver 8. I like it more than KEF, but it still wasn't what I wanted. Next one was PMC Twenty 21. Play button. Couple seconds. Large smile on my face.Performer was staying in front of me. Sound stage like this I din't experienced before. Bass was so controlled and trebles so sweet. It was so pleasure to listen it. So this is sound what I was looking for.After that I was strongly suggested to try KEF ls50. And again, so wide sound stage. So clear all instruments. Nice controlled bass. And almost half a price of PMC's. I think I still liked PMC's a bit more because of sweeter trebles but the price is a lot higher for them. Though would like to try PMC DB1i. Maybe they are not far for twenty 21.

This.

The DB1i Gold is comparable price wise to the LS50 and a whole lot less demanding of the amplifier, a better match, on paper at least.

You need to bear in mind that, whatever you have heard so far, the Uniqute is limited in terms of power. I'm sure that it will drive the PMCs to reasonable levels on 'sensible' music without problem.

However should you ask a bit more, by playing some heavy rock or some bass heavy music of some kind, even some more dynamic classical material, you will find that you run out of power pretty quickly. This is very much something you will need to work out for yourself.

Finally, I shall throw the proverbial 'spanner in the works', and suggest using the AVI DM5 active speaker driven off of the Uniqute's pre outs. These are fine speakers in their own right and their active configuration will give you a substantial gain in both output capabilities and control, particularly in the bass region....... :twisted:

churchill1963

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Naim 5i with the LS50s and have had no problem power wise. You should really do a home demo the both to find out which you prefer. Advice is ok but nothing beats listening in your own home.

aras.g

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
This.

The DB1i Gold is comparable price wise to the LS50 and a whole lot less demanding of the amplifier, a better match, on paper at least.

You need to bear in mind that, whatever you have heard so far, the Uniqute is limited in terms of power. I'm sure that it will drive the PMCs to reasonable levels on 'sensible' music without problem.

However should you ask a bit more, by playing some heavy rock or some bass heavy music of some kind, even some more dynamic classical material, you will find that you run out of power pretty quickly. This is very much something you will need to work out for yourself.

Finally, I shall throw the proverbial 'spanner in the works', and suggest using the AVI DM5 active speaker driven off of the Uniqute's pre outs. These are fine speakers in their own right and their active configuration will give you a substantial gain in both output capabilities and control, particularly in the bass region....... :twisted:

Thanks for advice. Very interesting about AVI DM5. Just can't find where to audition them. Nearest place is their factory, but it's more than three hours one way run. :wall:

Maybe somebody who got them could offer short audition? :pray: I'm from Lincolnshire. Really want to try them.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
aras.g said:
davedotco said:
This.

Thanks for advice. Very interesting about AVI DM5. Just can't find where to audition them. Nearest place is their factory, but it's more than three hours one way run. :wall:

Maybe somebody who got them could offer short audition? :pray: I'm from Lincolnshire. Really want to try them.

Check http://hddaudio.net/index.php

Members there have been known to offer home dems if you can get to them.

Bear in mind that the DM5 is not exactly the only active speaker in it's class. The Kef X300a offers a large slice of LS50 performance in an active configuration and the music/home studio stores are full of active monitors in this price range.

A particular favourite of mine is the Adam Artist 6, a slim and reasonably domesticated floor stander that can be had for about £900, bit more than the LS50 but of course no stands are required.

ARTIST6.jpg

Yes they do come with grills and, if you really want, you can get them both in the same colour.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
They look normal , even nice , I thought actives where supposed to look like someone left a welding set out in the rain <S>

James

True.

But for domestic situations the Artist 6 is very appealing, there is a black grill that covers the drive units and in reality they are smaller than they look.

Driven by something like the Uniqute they are a real 'off the wall' option that looks great domestically.

That said, dispight being the spawn of the devil, the AVI actives are very presentable too, I do have a fancy for a pair of '9s in piano black.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Went and had a look at thier website and I was supprised , I'd proberly spring the extra 50 quid for the cherry , and this is the reason I was supprised :

http://www.fwhifi.co.uk/

Guess Five ways needs to update thier photos

James

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Just purchased my Qute 2 this week. During the demo I listened to it hooked up to my own Dynaudios and the following speakers

Neat Motive SX1 & SX3

Guru QM10two

It drove all of these speakers with ease including my own which quite surprised me. If it wouldn't have completely blown my budget I'd have walked out with the Guru's (£1795). I decided to stick with my original speakers for now in the hope I can find something that comes close to the Guru's for less money. I was keen to try the Guru Juniors but the dealer told me Guru are switching production to China and have had several issues which means there are currently no Juniors available anywhere (if this is incorrect please point me in the direction of a dealer with some Juniors in stock)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

Very interesting, Dave. Where did you hear them? Could you do a longer write-up? I'm sure people would be interested.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Very interesting, Dave. Where did you hear them? Could you do a longer write-up? I'm sure people would be interested.

Matt

An old friend who was the first to play me ADM's is something of an acolyte when it comes to all things AVI. He got to try a pair quite recently and feels that they are exceptional, better than his 9Ts in most respect.

So, I am kind of cheating a bit, his 9Ts sound great in his setup, if the DM5s even come close, they will be very good indeed and outstanding value.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Matt

An old friend who was the first to play me ADM's is something of an acolyte when it comes to all things AVI. He got to try a pair quite recently and feels that they are exceptional, better than his 9Ts in most respect.

So, I am kind of cheating a bit, his 9Ts sound great in his setup, if the DM5s even come close, they will be very good indeed and outstanding value.

Well, I guess that’s only fair. Nobody minds a bit of cheating. They are surely “fine speakers in their own right”, if an AVI “acolyte” says so.

Thanks for the clarification.

:cheers:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Matt

Well, I guess that’s only fair. Nobody minds a bit of cheating. They are surely “fine speakers in their own right”, if an AVI “acolyte” says so.

Thanks for the clarification.

:cheers:

Matt

Apologies, that was truly a poorly phrased post...... :silenced:

I really should have said have a reputation of being "fine speakers in their own right", very poor on my part as I have really not heard them.

I have an ex colleague who has 'been around the hi-fi block' a few times who is seriously into AVI speakers. He has two pairs of late model ADM9Ts, (pre RS) and was responsible for introducing me to the delights of active speakers.

He is an old friend whose judgement in these matters is pretty good, his streamed ADM setup sounds outrageously good for the price and he 'knows' a couple of people who are quite active on the HDD forum. He got to try a pair of DM5s at home and reckons that, performance wise, they are close to his ADMs, if he is even half right, then the DM5s are seriously good.

Really should have made that clear from the outset, though that said, I stand by my comments on how they should be able to add value to the Uniqute, you may not like the results but the extra power, punch and presence should be pretty clear,

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When i auditioned the ls50, it was with the rega brio and even that for me is quite underpowered when listening to massive attack or jeff beck live at ronnie scot. Listening to norah jones was nice though

So if possible, slightly more power would be good for the ls50 to fulfil its full potential.

Just imho...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

I really should have said have a reputation of being "fine speakers in their own right", very poor on my part as I have really not heard them.

I have an ex colleague who has 'been around the hi-fi block' a few times who is seriously into AVI speakers. He has two pairs of late model ADM9Ts, (pre RS) and was responsible for introducing me to the delights of active speakers.

He is an old friend whose judgement in these matters is pretty good, his streamed ADM setup sounds outrageously good for the price and he 'knows' a couple of people who are quite active on the HDD forum. He got to try a pair of DM5s at home and reckons that, performance wise, they are close to his ADMs, if he is even half right, then the DM5s are seriously good.

Really should have made that clear from the outset, though that said, I stand by my comments on how they should be able to add value to the Uniqute, you may not like the results but the extra power, punch and presence should be pretty clear,

No worries, Dave, I was only teasing. I was pretty certain you hadn't heard the DM5s.

:wave:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

No worries, Dave, I was only teasing. I was pretty certain you hadn't heard the DM5s.

:wave:

Matt

No, you were right to pick me up on that.

There is no problem in suggesting equipment on reputation, so long as you (me in this case) make it clear that this is the case.

I didn't do that in this case, not deliberately but by being very loose with my language.

It is one of the reasons that I rarely comment on budget components in specific terms, I try to keep my comments fairly general when refering to some of the carp that passes as budget hi-fi these days.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I found the UnitiQute alone was just a little weak in the power department, so I paired it with the NAP100 and am now enjoying a fuller and more precise sound. I am however running the KEF R100 not the LS50s. If you're worried about power try the unitiLite as it's got a 50w power amp like the nap100. I bought my unitQute before the lite was available. However, I prefer the look of two box setup anyways.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts