Naim 5i powerful enough for KEF LS50?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I do appreciate your input Overdose. The problem is that it's impossible to demo ADM in Belgium. I would audition these speakers if I could because I absolutely see the benefits of such an approach.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
I do appreciate your input Overdose. The problem is that it's impossible to demo ADM in Belgium. I would audition these speakers if I could because I absolutely see the benefits of such an approach.

No problem. I guess Ulft is too far?

Overdose said:
plastic penguin said:
Overdose said:
Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the music.

Not again, please. Just because you like active speakers it doesn't mean they are to everyone's taste.

The OP wouldn't know if they were to his taste as he clearly hasn't heard actives, much like many other naysayers it seems. My opinion is no less valid than any other so far and might actually be the perfect solution in this instance.

Maybe instead of displaying you negative bias, you could constructively advise the OP why active speakers and in particular, the ADM9s might not be ideal?

OD - couldn't agree more. Of course they could be the perfect solution, or they may not. If the OP had originally asked about the virtues of actives, that would be different. As he's looking at upgrading to (possibly) LS50s he'll have to decide whether the traditional route or actives is the better option or not.

I'm not a naysayer. How could I be without hearing them. On a personal level, I have so many analogue sources that a trad amp is preferable. Even if the ADMs might be technically better than my Leema there's little chance they'll have the tonal qualities I look for. Plus I actually like boxes. Strange cat I know. :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
This is starting to veer off topic (sorry OP), but I feel that I need to qualify why I (and others probably) recommend and rate the ADMs so much.

I am fully sold on actives for the usual reasons and depending on budget, would recommend a variety of active speakers. The thing is that the ADMs are not just the active speaker component, but also preamp and DAC. It is this that makes them a suitable recommendation for a wide range of situations and budgets up to and beyond £2K (how much further beyond £2K will be open to debate).

Other actives are available of course, but most in the sensible money ballpark are proaudio. It is only Dynaudio Xeo range that currently offer something close to the ADMs in terms of function and looks as far as trad hifi goes, but having had very similar speakers in the form of the BM5A, I would recommend the ADMs over the Xeo 3's for at least two reasons.

Brand A or B might be the topic starter, but it's only reasonable to suggest brand C or others that the OP might not be aware of and might also be a better solution.

It might seem alarming to some, but it really isn't like a Borg invasion, simply that the ADMs tick a lot of boxes. :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Overdose said:
Audiofoolius said:
Active speakers have a great price-performance ratio , but at this moment (as I already have a decent system) I am not really interested in that option. From what I have read about ADM I also fear that they might sound a little too analytical for my taste.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'analytical', but active speakers generally suffer from less distortion than passive speakers and in the case of monitors, are designed to reproduce the music as closley as possible to the recording. That's not to say that you'll find that a good thing, but they are not typically designed to have any inherent colouration, although design limitations mean that obviously some will exist.

Your initial post suggests that actives could be ideal for you. I understand that you have a system that you are happy with, but you intimated replacing speakers and then possibly having to upgrade the amp. For the same overall outlay (taking into consideration any residual value of existing kit) you could achieve the same result via actives, possibly even with a sub. The ADMs are my second set of active speakers, they might well be my last.

Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the music.

Not again, please. Just because you like active speakers it doesn't mean they are to everyone's taste.
You are being a bit of a nununana if you ask me.

I would say OD's post was entirely reasonable given the OP's wishes and subsequent posts.

I would say to the OP. Forget the ADMs for now. You can't easily try them, and you don't want to risk a punt. NO worries.

At the very least, find a pro-audio shop. Go and ask if you can demo in shop some pro-monitors for around the same overall outlay as you would be spending. In fact I would say halve it, then add around 150-200 for a preamp/DAC. I am 100% certain that for three quarters what you are willing to splash out on Hi-fi gear, you will acheive a much more precise and clear High Fidelity sound than you would with your passives. OD is right, the clarity and detail is not for everyone. But I would definitely recommend you at least give it a whirl. It will cost nothing and you may just have an epiphany...which is exactly why people who go active irritate the hell out of stuck-in-the-mud die hards who reply with the likes of "oh no, not again" to a piece of perfectly valid advice.

T

the record spot

Overdose said:
This is starting to veer off topic (sorry OP), but I feel that I need to qualify why I (and others probably) recommend and rate the ADMs so much.

You didn't. A link to a relevant thread would've been fine, of which there are several. The ADMs are unsuitable for reasons of the OP can't readily access any and if they turned out to be unsuitable, returning them is going to be expensive. I wouldn't do it and I live in the UK, never mind the additional burden of international postage and insurance to the value of the speaker cost plus the postage itself (to cover the full outlay). Not viable, IMO.

To the OP, You probably don't need to go the Nait XS. Find a well specced amp that's powerful enough to drive and grip your LS50. Something like a Harman HK990, or secondhand AVI Lab Series amp, HK6850 or HK6950 amongst others. See also some of Sony's higher end ES amps like the 630, 670, 770. They'll all be more than capable.

Oh, and while they're the flavour of the month and hyped to high heaven just now, other speakers do exist beyond the KEF LS50....some may be worth your attention...!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
I have not heard the 685s but I have heard the CM1s which are similar but have more bass than the 685s I

They have less quantity and depth of bass than the 685s, although they do produce a lot for such a little box.

Audiofoolius said:
Thanks for the interesting remarks!

I am not looking for speakers that have more bass than the 685's, just better quality.

Apologies, it's just that you said more punch rather than more balanced/better quality/more detailed or anything along those lines.

I think the main question, which can only be answered with an audition, is do they go deep enough, because I think the quality of the bass they have is good.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi Audiofoolius,

I swapped my PMC Twenty 22 for the AVI ADM 9.1 RS speakers, no regrets. I like the ADM more then the expensive PMC's. I live in Holland by the way, Rotterdam.

Maybe you could ask the AVI dealer in Holland if you can send them back if you don't like them?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
poldo said:
Hi Audiofoolius,

I swapped my PMC Twenty 22 for the AVI ADM 9.1 RS speakers, no regrets. I like the ADM more then the expensive PMC's. I live in Holland by the way, Rotterdam.

Maybe you could ask the AVI dealer in Holland if you can send them back if you don't like them?

If he wanted to try them, he could buy them direct. Legally they fall under distance selling regulations and Avi would have no choice but to accept them back. That's why I risked it at the time.

It's different for the 40s as they are "made to order".

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Overdose said:

You didn't. A link to a relevant thread would've been fine, of which there are several. The ADMs are unsuitable for reasons of the OP can't readily access any.

If you bothered to read the thread rather than try find a reason to fault the ADMs9 (which seems to be a fixation of yours for some reason), you'd find that my recommendation came before the OP mentioned his inability to be able to demo them. The recommendation was not for your benefit or your ilk anyway, so as suggested, why not just try some sort of constructive response to the benfefit of the OP?

You are starting to come across as a little bit obsessive and dare I say it, irrational in this regard.

T

the record spot

OD: If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd have seen that I snipped all but the first two lines of yours. I stand by it.

And to point out, for the nth time, I've said on many occasions what my views are on the products both current and past of AVI and it's a matter of record on here. If you can find where I've decried them (the ADM9), am biased against them for the product they are, or suchlike, then please point it out. If you do, can you also point out the many times where I have talked them up. Balance and all.

I'm not obsessive about the product at all, far from it in fact, so again you're shy of the mark. And as for not commenting on a post, well, you put it up on an open forum. My comment was based on your feeling "the need" to qualify why you like them. You didn't need to. Rather straightforward.

And I'll reserve the right to respond to a post where I see fit against your right to post whatever you choose in the first place. That's freedom of speech, sorry if it rains on your parade.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
The ADMs are ust one of the active speakers now available, they no longer have the market to themselves. Also bear in mind that all active speakers do not sound the same, so one person's accurate is another person's unlistenable

I'd have a listen to the Dynaudio Xeos range if I were you. They're active, and wireless to boot, plus Dynaudio are well supported by local agents in many countries. Alternatively, they also make active monitors if you don't like the idea of wireless. There's also the ATC actives, which are pricy, and the Linn Majik 109s, which have the advantage you can start off using them as passives and add the amplifiers later. Price is around the £900 mark as passives.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
OD: If you'd bothered to read my post, you'd have seen that I snipped all but the first two lines of yours. I stand by it.

And to point out, for the nth time, I've said on many occasions what my views are on the products both current and past of AVI and it's a matter of record on here. If you can find where I've decried them (the ADM9), am biased against them for the product they are, or suchlike, then please point it out. If you do, can you also point out the many times where I have talked them up. Balance and all.

I'm not obsessive about the product at all, far from it in fact, so again you're shy of the mark. And as for not commenting on a post, well, you put it up on an open forum. My comment was based on your feeling "the need" to qualify why you like them. You didn't need to. Rather straightforward.

And I'll reserve the right to respond to a post where I see fit against your right to post whatever you choose in the first place. That's freedom of speech, sorry if it rains on your parade.

You do witter on don't you?

T

the record spot

0.jpg

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, to answer the original question. I don't think a Nait 5i will have any problem powering the KEF's. I've heard the Nait 5i on a full size monitor gold speaker and it could get it to painful volumes.

It's always nice to talk about combo's with speakers but always try to hear the match first.

Things can seem perfect in your head while the actual execution may leave much to be desired for.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
SolarGlider said:
Well, to answer the original question. I don't think a Nait 5i will have any problem powering the KEF's. I've heard the Nait 5i on a full size monitor gold speaker and it could get it to painful volumes.

It's always nice to talk about combo's with speakers but always try to hear the match first.

Things can seem perfect in your head while the actual execution may leave much to be desired for.

It's nice to know that the Nait 5i is able to do power such speakers. Although being able to reach high volumes doesn't necessarily mean that an amp is powerful enough to get the most out of speakers. It's a postive indication, but no guarantee.

I'll try to find a dealer who has these speakers and ask if I may audition them with my own amp.

Active speakers are a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I can just about stretch my budget to buy the KEF's.
smiley-smile.gif
I don't plan to buy a new amp in the next couple of years.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
Active speakers are a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I can just about stretch my budget to buy the KEF's.
smiley-smile.gif

The idea is that you sell the amp (I got £580 for my Nait 5i two years ago) and add the money to your speaker budget. That should - just about - get you the latest version ADM9s which have their own amps, DAC and remote controlled pre-amp all built in.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Audiofoolius said:
smiley-smile.gif

The idea is that you sell the amp (I got £580 for my Nait 5i two years ago) and add the money to your speaker budget. That should - just about - get you the latest version ADM9s which have their own amps, DAC and remote controlled pre-amp all built in.

That was my thought, but there might still be the earlier versions available at the outlet I mentioned. That's where I bought mine and they were considerably less than the new RS model.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Audiofoolius said:
smiley-smile.gif

I understand that. I actually bought my current amp second hand in the summer of 2010 for less than £580. So selling them now for a similar price is not really realistic imo. I don't have the intention to sell them right now too to be honest. I like the Naim sound signature a lot too. I maybe should have stressed that a little bit more in my opening post.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts