Questions about using UnitiQute as a pre-amp into Marantz PM-KI (power amp) / Naim NAP 100

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I would be very grateful for any answers the forum can provide to the following:

I bought a second hand Naim UnitiQute (the original one, 30WPC into 8ohm) to act as a network player and DAC for 24/96 files off a NAS drive and also streaming Spotify (Via Apple TV). I want to use the UQ as my main hi-fi where the speakers are floor standing Tannoy Precision 6.4’s (8ohm and / Recommended Amp 20-200w).

I understand that the UQ may not be designed for this type of set up but thought the amp in the UQ could be beefed up with a power amp to help drive the speakers (I do like to play loud and they also get used for parties) so I was considering buying a second hand NAP 100 (Naim power amp) in due course. However, as I have a Marantz PM KI Peal Lite which can be used in power amp mode I thought this would be suitable to use in the interim.

Having set up the system as described above (UQ pre outs to Marantz power amp) I found there was no difference whether I ran the UQ through the Marantz or if I just ran the UQ to drive the speakers directly.

Is this what I should have expected? I thought a power amp would have added some oomph! Driving the speakers louder at a lower source volume and also improving SQ at mid and higher volumes.

If I run the UQ straight to the Tannoy’s will this be too much for it if played loud for long periods?

Would the NAP 100 be the right power amp option for the Tannoy’s?

Another issue is that by using the pre outs on the UQ and having the Marantz in power amp mode, I lose the ability to hook up the sub-woofer (the Marantz disables the pre outs in power amp mode) and presumably if I go down the route of the NAP 100 (or any other power amp) then, will I lose the pre-outs and so the sub-woofer again?

Thank you very much for your advice,

Alex

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
You should definitely hear an improvement with a good power amp, I did with the NAP100. Not sure what the Ki is rated at but it might not be that much better then the 30w in the Qute. naim seem to give a very conservative figure when it comes to its power amps which tent to perform well above what is stated.

Have you disabled the speakers in settings on the Qute when attaching the power amp, this makes a difference. As it turns off the built in amp. And gives more power to the pre.

As for the pre-out, there is only one set, so you will lose ability for a sub. However with decent speakers I wouldn't bother with a sub anyway.

hope this helps even a little.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions going on here that it is difficult to know where to start.

First of all the rated power difference between the Naim and the Marantz is not that great. Given Naim's reputation for amplifiers that drive harder than their ratings suggest, the power difference will be pretty small, in volume terms anyway.

Secondly the pre out levels of the Naim are about half of what is required to drive the Marantz power section to full output, so the volume settings will need to be much higher when using the extra power amp. Not a big issue if you understand why.

Thirdly, expecting either of your amplifiers to get the best from a pair of £2000 speakers is being somewhat optimistic, the quality mismatch is quite large.

Best solution, use the Unitiqute into the Tannoys in the normal manner, the speakers are sensitive enough to produce decent levels for hi-fi listening. If you want to improve the quality of this setup, buy a Nap 100 in due course. It will not go significantly louder but the greater control will improve clarity, articulation and the rest.

For party situations remove your Tannoys and use something like a pair of Mackie MR8-2 active monitors, driven from the pre outs on the Unitiqute, They cost about £400pr and, along with your subs will get the job done, party wise. There are plenty of other options. mostly more expensive but there are a few to be had cheaper if you are prepared to look at less well known systems, Studiospares Activ8s for example are just £250.

Perspective..... If you blow your speakers and either of your amps, quite possible in a party situation, the repairs could easily be more than the cost of the Mackies......

LordHill

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies on this,

Dommer. Yes, I did disable the speakers on the UQ. From your reply (and Davedotco below) I now have an understanding as to why the Marantz is not adding any value to the set up, so thanks to both of you for that. I will now consider selling the Marantz so I can think about a NAP 100 however I do still like having a sub in the mix.

I note the comments that a more suitable amp should negate the need for a sub but I remain sceptical that the Tannoys will be able to create the same bass that the two larger cones in the sub can. I would be happy to be proven wrong! Just to be clear, the sub is turned way down and its really more of a feeling of bass (not sound) that i find makes the music more enjoyable.

Davedotco thanks very much for your detailed reply, clearly I’m out of my depth here! But, having fun in the process and learning along the way, with help from you and others.

I bought the UQ to effectively upgrade a Sonos Connect (ZP-90) + external DAC. For the total cost of Sonos+DAC the second hand UQ seemed like a better option in terms of spec and SQ for similar money. That’s how I have ended up with the (two!) wrong amps for the speakers.

I don’t want to change speakers for an occasional party and do want a system that will be robust enough to work in all scenarios. Do you think the addition of the NAP will make the system more robust or have I just set off in the wrong direction? Do you have any recommendations, please? I could sell the Marantz and the UQ and so would have a budget in the range of £1,000-1,250 (but could top it up if you have particular idea) and would need a network streaming option.

Thanks again for your advice.

Alex

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Alex,

I think you underestimate the difference in the demands made on a hi-fi system in two separate situations.

Most of the time the Unitiqute will drive the Tannoys to pretty decent levels for hi-fi use with two or three people in the room, in fact it will do that without using more than a watt or two in average terms.

However get twenty or more people in the room, all chatting and having a good time and the combination of the noise level produced, the absoptive qualities of that many bodies and music at party levels will easily require 100 (yes one hundred!) times the power, maybe more. A system that 'will be robust enough' to work in all scenarios is easy enough, just way beyond your budget.

The suggestion of using a pair of active monitors as party speakers is actually the cheap option, a hi-fi that can manage both the quality and the output levels will be a lot more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS