Standmounters for Naim UnitiLite...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to buy standmounters for a Naim UnitiLite (which I can also change since I haven't purchased it yet).

I have a liking towards a sonic character that is transparent, open, agile, natural, rhythmic and balanced. I like a good amount of bass, but I need it to be just right, tight but yet, deep and low. I currently have a Naim Nait 5i with a CD5i, with KEF Q500s and I thoroughly enjoy it. The forwardness, the detail, the clarity and the beautiful character of the vocals really really pleases me!

Now, I'm looking at these standmounters (in order of preference)-

1.) KEF LS50

2.) ATC SCM7 (Haven't ever heard these with Naim, so I don't know how the combination will sound)

3.) PMC DB1i

4.) Dynaudio Focus 160

5.) ProAc Studio 110

I'd want a speaker that is designed or can deliver ideally "the closest to studio sound"...

I might or could go in for the Naim NAP 155XS + NAC-N 172XS, if I can...

I don't doubt Naim's power cause have had a pretty long experience of the current that a Naim can maintain... Just am worried about if the tonal character matches with the design of the speaker... Yes, I still think Naim is a little fussy about pairing, initially they were more, but I think they still are...

Cables are the NAC A5

Coud use all the input that I can get!

Thanks! :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you have a distinct list, I dare not weave any comment on that list, by the mere fact of only having heard the ATC SCM 7, but I found them with little response at low frequencies, preferred the SCM 11! And my finalists were the Dynaudio Excite 12 and ATC SCM 11.

During my journey in the purchase of my system, I have read many things on the net, and where it appeared Dynaudio, always appeared NAIM!

Seems they are a GREAT/magical combo.

All the best

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I think you have a distinct list, I dare not weave any comment on that list, by the mere fact of only having heard the ATC SCM 7, but I found them with little response at low frequencies, preferred the SCM 11! And my finalists were the Dynaudio Excite 12 and ATC SCM 11.

During my journey in the purchase of my system, I have read many things on the net, and where it appeared Dynaudio, always appeared NAIM!

Seems they are a GREAT/magical combo.

All the best

Thanks for your reply mate!

hahaha! I hope Im able to get somewhere with a distinct list...

Yes I did have that concern about the ATCs, but sometimes I feel good amplification remedies the bass response, and makes it more punchy and low...

I have no problems with the Dyns at all really, except especially with the Exites... I felt they were one of the most engaging speakers I've heard in a long time...

Just looking to find if there is something better, after the launch of the LS50s, I was really impressed by atleast what they even claimed to achieve through the monitor "studio like sound"... And I do believe tha Naim and Dyns will go well together, after all, they are both who beleive in pace, rhythm and timing...

What do you think about the PMCs?

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

I probably will in the next few weeks...

Tell me, do you think the Nait 5i or the one that I'm considering, the NAP 155XS, would lack in power for the PMCs or the Dyns?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I own the PMCs and they havegood bass, for their size. They are also reputed to be a good match with Naim, but I think they are a bit coloured, and somewhat lush to my ears - Not really what you'd call a studio sound.

It all depends on your definition of deep bass and what music you listen to. The PMCs seem to start rolling off around 60Hz, and although you will get some of what is going on at 50Hz, it will be down a few decibels. Seeing as you've been using floorstanders, I suspect that the PMCs won't quite go deep enough with enough slam, let alone the ATCs or LS50.

As I listen to a lot of electronic music, I ended up supplementing the PMCs with a sub. Not needed for all music, but even on some rock music, I found it made a difference in creating a fuller picture.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply...

Wow! Im really surprised you find the PMCs coloured... thanks for the heads up though!

Its hard to explain what I mean by deep bass really, but i despise boom of any kind... I'd like the bass to be in its sonic position and not eating up the rest of the range, several speakers I heard recently, the mid-range just is swallowed by the booming bass... so i'd like the bass to be punchy, tight and rounded.

I think I'll sette in for Naim NAP-155XS and 172 as my pre and power combo...

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Are you actually changing your current set-up? If so I would suggest that any Uniti product will be a sideways step with no or little improvement for the outlay. SuperUniti may be worth looking at however, especially if you keep your CD5. If, you want a streamer then why not an ND5XS with your current kit?

As for speakers, Naim and Dynaudios are a great match and I have used my Contours on two Naim systems over the past 10 years. They generally require a bit of juice, although newer designs are supposedly easier to drive, but my Contours sounded great on the end of a 45 watt/ch NAP140 power amp.

A

Anonymous

Hello hone_U2, and everyone else! I'm a frequent browser but first time poster here, I've seen it can get a little heated so please be gentle! :rofl:

I often post on other forums, mainly from the pro side as I'm quite a keen amateur home studio user, by which I mean that I'm not brave enough to play my music anywhere else! :rockout: :oops: I use some rather serious Genelec 8040a's for this.

The reason for my first post here is that I'm in a similar position to the original poster. My lounge system consists of a Naim UnitiQute which I use to play music from the PC and I've just spent the weekend auditioning upgrades from my ancient Mission 731's which date back to my student days.

My room isn't the largest, approximately 13' x 10' and the speakers sit about 6" from the wall either side of the fireplace. The UnitiLite certainly looks to be a decent bit of kit and if the sound of my UnitiQute is anything to go by should make a great system, presuming the character is similar which I'd guess it is?

I listened to options offered by my local dealer in Brum, they have quite a good range on offer but I won't say the name in case it's against any rules. I'd set a budget slightly below hone's but listened to a good selection and from memory these were my thoughts, remembering my tastes are more monitor than Hi-Fi speaker if there is such a distinction:

1. Focal 806V: Too bright and too boomy, they were a little on the large side but I thought the front port might mean they work well near walls. Didn't seem to. Didn't work for me.

2. Elac BS 243: I was tempted by the heavily discounted price and they had excellent treble but I wasn't convinced by the bass which sounded a little overdone in comparison. Might sound good in a larger room.

3. KEF R100: Very nice and a good size, lovely midrange. Something a little off with the bass again though, a touch boomy and one-note with heavier material. For the size though, very impressive and look good.

4. Dali Ikon 1mkII: Similar to the Elac's, very nice treble, perhaps a little on the bright side but I wasn't convinced with how well it integrated with the bass. These ribbon tweeters seem to be very good in their own right but hard to merge with the other drivers, they make me want to listen to a full-sized panel speaker though!

5. Acoustic Energy 301: I'd not seen these before but the assistant told me they have been very well reviewed recently and that Acoustic Energy design on Naim, I've no idea if this was just salesman talk or true mind you! I found these had the best mix of the qualities I was after, they seemed to integrate very well and had a lovely tight bass but not lightweight with it. It was a huge bonus that my girlfriend felt they were the prettiest of the selection! :rofl: I didn't buy there and then as am always keen to research my purchases but the reviews do look good, not seen much talk on them though. Has anyone else heard them?

6. Another speaker which I can't for the life of me remember, total blank. I didn't like it so probably for the best. :oops:

As I said before, this may be a little below your price range hone but it may be worth listening to the Acoustic Energy's if you can't find others that fit the bill. In my opinion they have that studio sound that you are after and I know their other models from the Pro side where they seem popular. I'm tempted to give them a try as well since my Genelecs are also getting a little long in the tooth. I'll keep this quiet from my girlfriend for a while I think. :rofl:

Dave.

The AEs have just been reviewed here: http://www.whathifi.com/review/301

And another magazine gave them 5 stars in their March edition too. This sector has never been more competitive!

Referring back to the OP, for under a grand, I'd want to hear the new Sonus faber Venere 1.5 too, though unsure how they would go with the Naim sound. I have heard and liked Naim and PMC, but that was a c £15k system using the Fact.8 speakers.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply... It would take me god knows how much time to gather so much info on my own... Thanks for that really...

The thing is, I was only thinking of the Uniti, because of budget constraints... I do definitely prefer separates more than one-box...

I've spent my life around floorstanders and its very hard for me to appreciate the detail, mid-range and bass from a bookshelf unless its very very good... I had really liked my friend's PMC TB2is through Quads... So I added PMC on my list... And so slowly went on to appreciate Dynaudios as well...

My source and power is definitely Naim... whether the XS series or the Uniti, time will tell... or rather my pocket! :rofl:

I completely agree with your speaker reviews of the one's you've mentioned...

Ive personally never liked the Focals... the Diablo's though slightly impressed me...

I really really liked the KEFs R100s, they were phenomenal... I heard them through a Denon 1710AE, and i felt they were lacking in the bass a little too... Although I can't say I felt they were boomy... they are quite fussy about the partnering though I've felt...

Which is why I added the LS 50s... I really really like them!

The only Dali model that I've come to like is the menuet...

And to be honest... i've never actually auditioned the Acoustic Energy's... i would have to find the New zealand dealer...

I'll keep posting my views and findings after Im able to audition some of these...

Thanks again!

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow! 15k is more than I can even dream of spending for now...

But i would like to know what you think of PMCs lower range... specifically the i series...

Sonus Faber... hmm... could you please post your opinion if you can and tell us what you thought of those...?

I've heard Sonus Faber, toys and stuff... and appreciated them... i felt a slight emphasis on the vocals... Im not sure i can say I liked them really...

Id love to know what you think...

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Recently had a chance to try out the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 speakers and they sounded great, clear and expansive with a nice tight and tunefull bass. Have not heard them with Naim, but as someone else mentioned you should definitely give them a listen.

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, did not take special not of the equipment they were hooked up to, i listened to more than 15 different set-ups that day. Though all listened was done using the same music on cd.

On that day the only two standouts i listened too was The Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and Proac Response D-1.

The Proac have a very nice and smooth midrange presentation but as a whole i prefered the sound from the Sonus Fabers which seemed more open and expansive. (Note: They were listened to in different rooms and with different amps/sources).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Neat Petite SX, around the £1300 mark. Their floorstanders are also good - to my ears the Elites were the pick. Heard them with an all Naim system - the XS series components.

hone_u2 said:

But i would like to know what you think of PMCs lower range... specifically the i series...

Sonus Faber... hmm... could you please post your opinion if you can and tell us what you thought of those...?

I've heard Sonus Faber, toys and stuff... and appreciated them... i felt a slight emphasis on the vocals... Im not sure i can say I liked them really...

Regret I've not the heard the i series other than fleetingly. Might hear some tomorrow at the Bristol show though.

I love the Sonus faber 'house sound' though mine are now over a decade old. As you say, if you love the voice they are particularly fine. Not heard the Venere range yet, as they still very new, but I believe worth seeking out - that was my point. They look great too, whereas PMCs are just boxes. In the UK, the defaults seem to be Neat and PMC with Naim gear.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Exoticsounds said:
Sorry, did not take special not of the equipment they were hooked up to, i listened to more than 15 different set-ups that day. Though all listened was done using the same music on cd.

On that day the only two standouts i listened too was The Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and Proac Response D-1.

The Proac have a very nice and smooth midrange presentation but as a whole i prefered the sound from the Sonus Fabers which seemed more open and expansive. (Note: They were listened to in different rooms and with different amps/sources).

Thats alright man! I really like the ProAcs... The studio 110s are on my list at the moment...

i have to check the Sonus Fabers out...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
hone_u2 said:

Regret I've not the heard the i series other than fleetingly. Might hear some tomorrow at the Bristol show though.

I love the Sonus faber 'house sound' though mine are now over a decade old. As you say, if you love the voice they are particularly fine. Not heard the Venere range yet, as they still very new, but I believe worth seeking out - that was my point. They look great too, whereas PMCs are just boxes. In the UK, the defaults seem to be Neat and PMC with Naim gear.

I will definitely check out the Fabers no doubt...

if I may ask... What electronics are you using them with?

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
jockey.wilson said:
Are you actually changing your current set-up? If so I would suggest that any Uniti product will be a sideways step with no or little improvement for the outlay. SuperUniti may be worth looking at however, especially if you keep your CD5. If, you want a streamer then why not an ND5XS with your current kit?

As for speakers, Naim and Dynaudios are a great match and I have used my Contours on two Naim systems over the past 10 years. They generally require a bit of juice, although newer designs are supposedly easier to drive, but my Contours sounded great on the end of a 45 watt/ch NAP140 power amp.

Sorry for the late reply man...

No, I'm not changing my current set up... That set up is in another city and I've moved for study here... And I'd like to compile a system from scratch for here...

i was told by a lot, and having heard the Uniti, I thought it was pretty good! However, I know the thumb rule that separates are far better than one box, even in practical.

I was thinking of auditioning the SuperUniti, but its too expensive in my opinion to spend for a one-box.

now I'm settling in for the NAP 155XS and the NAC N 172XS...

with either of those speaker options...

im thinking of the CM5s too... But they're too expensive, I'm not sure how they will sound with Naim and they're not reviewed that well either (irrelevant though)

Well, a brief update. No PMC i series to hear at the Bristol Show, but did get 15 minutes with the twenty:21s, the smallest of the twenty series. I'd say they pretty much deserve all the acclaim, and look neater than the rather clumsy sloping floorstanders to my eyes. Clear as a bell, very pure sounding, amazing bass extenson for the size (fed from a very sophisticated Bryston integrated, CD and streamer combo in the £10k range altogether). Maybe slightly monitorish, in the analytical sense, but no nasties and would be better off axis - I was almost straight on. £1375 a pair in lovely wood, though why shiny black paint costs so much extra is beyond me.

Also heard the KEF LS50, which also well justified their acclaim, and I think I might prefer at home to the PMCs in terms of sound:value. Unfortunately no grilles and only a black finish, so not very spouse friendly. But great sound, if maybe not as accurate as the PMCs. Only £680 at the Show - bargain of the year, surely?

nopiano said:
Well, a brief update. No PMC i series to hear at the Bristol Show, but did get 15 minutes with the twenty:21s, the smallest of the twenty series. I'd say they pretty much deserve all the acclaim, and look neater than the rather clumsy sloping floorstanders to my eyes. Clear as a bell, very pure sounding, amazing bass extenson for the size (fed from a very sophisticated Bryston integrated, CD and streamer combo in the £10k range altogether). Maybe slightly monitorish, in the analytical sense, but no nasties and would be better off axis - I was almost straight on. £1375 a pair in lovely wood, though why shiny black paint costs so much extra is beyond me.

Also heard the KEF LS50, which also well justified their acclaim, and I think I might prefer at home to the PMCs in terms of sound:value. Unfortunately no grilles and only a black finish, so not very spouse friendly. But great sound, if maybe not as accurate as the PMCs. Only £680 at the Show - bargain of the year, surely?

Interesting to hear about the PMCs - I heard the 23s and they are gorgeous sounding,although, as you stated, they are a bit ugly. These were connected to a Yam receiver.

This is one issue I have with the LS50s - no grilles. Not so much unfriendly to the wife but not practical when you little ones whizzing around or pets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts