Standmounters for Naim UnitiLite...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Unfortunately no grilles and only a black finish, so not very spouse friendly. quote]

We have Black and Gold KEF LS50's with a Black Rega Brio-R amp and Black Apollo-R cd player, along with a Black DVD/HDD player and Black LCD TV and Black cables; and they all look stunning together. I have thought about possible child-(un?)friendliness of no front covers (I just love the gold!), but audio cables and interconnects are hardly child-friendly either...Our audio-visual lounge is striclty adults only! (smile)

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for your comments nopiano, antskip and plastic penguin.

i seriously looked into everything...

I hope I can make the right decision soon,

i really really like the soft dome design of the ATCs and the PMCs... The sound is just incredibly sweet... I like that, because I felt in longer listening periods, the metal domes are fatiguing... Unless implemented properly...

Need to know though,

if the NAP 155XS and the 172 are enough to power the ATC SCM11s

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have just heard the Kef LS50s and PMC DB1s Gold, with Musical Fidelity M3i and Audiolab 8200. First up were PMCs and i did not like them at all, sounded clean, cold, thin, lacking in sparkle but had bass, next up were the Kefs these were much better more integrated, warmer mid range. Now the PMCs maybe a better match with Naim I don't know. I would say both need decent amps and quite a bit of power, the MF at 76 W seemed OK but bass was a bit loose at times on the KEFs. For "the closest to studio sound" I would try to hear some active speakers.

BigH said:
I have just heard the Kef LS50s and PMC DB1s Gold, with Musical Fidelity M3i and Audiolab 8200. First up were PMCs and i did not like them at all, sounded clean, cold, thin, lacking in sparkle but had bass, next up were the Kefs these were much better more integrated, warmer mid range. Now the PMCs maybe a better match with Naim I don't know. I would say both need decent amps and quite a bit of power, the MF at 76 W seemed OK but bass was a bit loose at times on the KEFs. For "the closest to studio sound" I would try to hear some active speakers.

Very surprised you found the PMCs "cold and lacking sparkle". Not the perfect speaker but that isn't their problems. Still one of my fav standmounters.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Very surprised you found the PMCs "cold and lacking sparkle". Not the perfect speaker but that isn't their problems. Still one of my fav standmounters.

Yes was surprised to, maybe it was partly due to the room? I hear square room are not the best. The Kefs were better but still not very engaging. Got home put the same music on and I was away.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have heard, that the PMC DB1 gold isn't as engaging as the 1i

even my dealer told me that.

I can understand that for the KEFs, because I also felt that the sound was very neutral. I didn't find it non engaging, but I think that's the sound I like.

These sound dramatically different from the other KEFs I've heard it the past. For the better of course.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever considered little Guru Junior’s? If you haven’t , I strongly suggest you had a try. You may well be very surprised with what you see and what you hear. Heard them at Bristol show with Naim Unitilite and was very pleased with the sound. To me it cuts above a very good Kef LS50’s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts