Does the Samsung LE40R88BD perform equally as well as the smaller LE37R88BD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if the difference between these 2 screens is PURELY screen size? Ive seen amazing reviews about the 37" version and so Im assuming the 40" version would perform the same. I just need someone to confirm this for me before I buy it.

Samsung LE40R88BD

Samsung LE37R88BD

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We know the LE37R88BD is excellent as we gave it a five-star review in our August issue, but haven't seen the LE40R88BDD yet. However, I've just been told by the WHFSV team that a First Test of the Samsung LE40M86BD is planned for the September issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision (on sale July 26).

I know the model number is slightly different, but we're told by Samsung that the models supplied to Currys/Dixons use the 88 or 86 model code, while all other retailers get the 87 models, which they claim are identical. We shall see!

One point worth noting: the LE37R88D is exclusive to Currys (part of the Dixons Group). Curiously, it's for sale in-store and on the Currys website for £850, but the price is slashed to £650 on www.dsg.co.uk. Worth checking out!

A

Anonymous

Hi

I can't speak for the 37" version, but I bought the R88BD from dixons on-line recently and I am disappointed with it. Through normal TV via SKY + with a gold scart the picture just isn't sharp enough and it's disappointing. You also get the usual issue of when people move fast on the screen or there is some action there is a slight lag and it causes a slight ripple effect which is noticeable. The sound is awful, but when I plugged in external speakers via my amp there is a slight delay so the sound isn't quite in sync with the picture image, terrible if watching news etc although you do egt used to it.

I have not wathced it on HD yet but the picure improves considerably playing a standard DVD through a standard player. I would not choose this model and would suggest paying more and getting a better TV. Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy, i've read the 5 star review for the LE37R88BD and am interested - but stupid question, can u tell me what it not accepting 1080p really means and what is 1080i? If a HD dvd player is connected to this tv does 'not accept' mean it won't play? what are the limitations for it not accepting 1080p???

A

Anonymous

also the toshiba 37C3030DB is £679 in comet, the samsung is 638 in dixons so similar price - the toshiba was only rated 4 stars because of the higher price, so if they can be found for similar prices which would you recommend Andy??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ripleyjazz"]

can u tell me what it not accepting 1080p really means and what is 1080i? If a HD dvd player is connected to this tv does 'not accept' mean it won't play? what are the limitations for it not accepting 1080p???

[/quote]

It simply means it won't accept a 1080 line progressive scan input, but will accept 1080 line interlaced or 720 line progressive. On a screen of this size I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p - I'd probably stick with 720p and be very happy.

You can set the output resolution on any upscaling DVD player - try this screen with 720p and 1080i and I'm confident you'll prefer 720p - don't get sucked into the numbers game...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts