Need advice for new tv...curved/flat...suhd?

Hey guy, after reading around this website and others i decided to ask for some experts opinions on what new tv i should get.

The first thing i my room layout, when on the sofa the tv is perpendicular to me, currently have the samsung ue40f6800 and if theres just me, i can angle the tv towards me so its fine when layed out. My room isnt huge so i definetely dont want 65inch, 55 would be my limit, and i reckon thats borderline.

Ive read up on curved screens, and whilst i like them aesthetically, would my room layout mean i should avoid? It seems like you need to be fully straight on with the screen to feel the benefits, and also it seems like a curve is wasted on smaller screens, 48inch etc.

The next thing is uhd vs suhd, my budget would be around 1600, you can get samsung 55inch 4k screens for 900ish, these get good reviews, would the 600-700 increase for suhd be worth it?

I watch blurays, and play ps4 mainly, aswell as standard tv and sports. I dont mind spending 1600, but i also don't mind spending 900 and missing out on the suhd if its not going to benefit me greatly. i just want a great picture, but i wouldnt say im an expert like some people would be, as long as it looks great i probably wouldnt be able to tell between blacklevels etc.

These are the samsung models ive been looking at:

UE55JU6800 standard uhd, 4k, 55inch flat screen, nano crystal technology - £900

UE55JS8000 suhd, 55inch flat, nano crytal - 1650

UE55JS8500 suhd, 55inch curved screen - 1650 (48inch version for 1300)

UE48JS9000 suhd, 48inch curved screen - 1500 the 55 inch is 1900 which is out of my budget

At the moment im leaning towards a flat screen due to my room layout, but im happy to hear arguments for curved, and also if the 750 difference between the ju6800 and the js8000 is worth it for getting suhd over uhd

many thanks

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Andrew Kettlewell said:
I'm still thinking that the 55inch will be overpowering for the room, I'd love it but I just think it might be abit too big, would you recommend the 48 inch version?

seen the 48 js9000 instore and was good! still decent size. i'd go for that or the 8500 48"

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Curved is a gimmick, destined to go the way of 3D. Otherwise it's your choice and budget on size, OLED or "vanilla" LED / LCD, and whether you go for 1080p or 4K.

The good thing about BIG TVs comes when Wimbledon comes around. You get to twist your head to the left and right like you were really there courtside :)

Otherwise I would say that you should choose your TV according to room size (no point in trying to put a 60 inch TV in an alcove that will only take a 32 inch) and the width of your preipheral wision.

Experiment in the shop if you can, but MY normal, comfortable, vision range is about +/- 30 degrees off centre, 60 degrees in total, giving me an equilateral triangle field of vision. That means if I'm 6 feet back from the screen I can see a 6 foot wide screen in full without moving my eyeballs or head. I'd say 2/3rds of that to be really in my main field of view, so say a 4 ft wide TV. Which corresponds to a 55-incher 16:9.

Just my opinion and asbestos underwear going on now...

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Kettlewell said:
decided on 55 inch, now its a choice between the js8000 which is flat or the js8500 which is curved, both the same tv. Just weather curved is a better choice than flat, thanks for the input

*good* i own a curved tv and i prefer it to the flat version.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
nugget2014 said:
Andrew Kettlewell said:
Thanks, do you know if the js8000 is the same tv but just flat rather than curved?

yes, flat. the js8500 is amazing. own it myself

Nugget, Andrew asked about the JS8000, not about the JS8500 which you own.

Andrew, if you go to Samsung UK, you can compare several televisions against each other. http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions

i know he did!! that's why i said flat. its exactly the same but not curved.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Andrew Kettlewell said:
decided on 55 inch, now its a choice between the js8000 which is flat or the js8500 which is curved, both the same tv. Just weather curved is a better choice than flat, thanks for the input

whats the point of going for the 8000? some people say it looks "exactly" the same as the flat variant and cant tell a difference, although some people notice it in the long term. it matters more how close you sit, i dont notice the curve but i did a little instore with a demo i might notice it once i move my seating position again ready for 4k

even if you dont notice a difference, the curve looks good on the tv and can only bring up a conversation :p

Son_of_SJ said:
It's not clear from your post #15 if you will go for a flat screen, or curved. By the way, I hope you don't mind, but you've twice now said "weather" instead of "whether".

Of course i dont mind, i was basically just asking if the 8000 was the exact same tv as the 8500 with a flat screen rather than a curve.

bigboss said:
Curved screen is a personal preference, some like it while others hate it. Did you check them out in the shops?

Yeah ive looked at them all in the shops, love the curve, it was only after reading up online about viewing angles etc that started to make me think i should avoid the curve due to my room layout but i dont think its as big of an issue as i thought.

Im going to go curved

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Kettlewell said:
Im going to go curved

That's cool! As bigboss says, it's personal preference (I myself prefer flat), and having looked at both flat and curved, you are in a good position to decide. Hope you enjoy your new curved Samsung 55JS8500 television! Let us know how you get on with it. *acute*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
AVForums recommend these settings, and they will do until you can get your own set individually calibrated https://www.avforums.com/video/samsung-ue55js8500-ultra-hd-4k-tv-picture-settings.11729.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
AVForums recommend these settings, and they will do until you can get your own set individually calibrated https://www.avforums.com/video/samsung-ue55js8500-ultra-hd-4k-tv-picture-settings.11729.

nobody's going to get these tv's calibrated, as with all HDR tv's it is kind of pointless at the moment.

nugget2014 said:
Son_of_SJ said:

nobody's going to get these tv's calibrated, as with all HDR tv's it is kind of pointless at the moment. 
Not sure that's true. You only need to set a higher point for peak whites. Check this review for example:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue65js9000-201503154027.htm

"We ran the UE65JS9000 (playing the Life of Pi HDR snippet) side-by-side against a now-defunct-but-still-considered-reference Panasonic ZT plasma (displaying the Blu-ray version), taking care to calibrate both screens to 120 cd/m2 peak white. There’s simply no contest even from fifteen feet away: the combination of super-high resolution, punchier whites, greater gradation and increased detail (not only in the highlights but also in shadowed areas) made the ZT look noticeably muted and softer by comparison. So powerful was this onslaught of resolution, contrast and detail to our visual senses that we weren’t even aware of the UE-65JS9000′s on-paper weaker blacks versus the plasma."

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
nugget2014 said:
Son_of_SJ said:
AVForums recommend these settings, and they will do until you can get your own set individually calibrated http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue65js9000-201503154027.htm

"We ran the UE65JS9000 (playing the Life of Pi HDR snippet) side-by-side against a now-defunct-but-still-considered-reference Panasonic ZT plasma (displaying the Blu-ray version), taking care to calibrate both screens to 120 cd/m2 peak white. There’s simply no contest even from fifteen feet away: the combination of super-high resolution, punchier whites, greater gradation and increased detail (not only in the highlights but also in shadowed areas) made the ZT look noticeably muted and softer by comparison. So powerful was this onslaught of resolution, contrast and detail to our visual senses that we weren’t even aware of the UE-65JS9000′s on-paper weaker blacks versus the plasma."

i was watching the avforums interview with someone from dolby talking about hdr and he made a comment saying calibrating a HDR tv when you use the source is very difficult

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts