Gripes with mobiles

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
And so the MWC rolls around and we get lots of shiny new things. Hurrah. Except every step forward seems purely designed to obtain positive reviews from the journalists (sorry guys), many of whom seize on the same point (like MoTD pundits) and cling on dear life.

The S5 isn’t as nice to hold as a HTC. True, but it’s not the most important feature of a phone. Here’s a thread for you all to post the bugbears you have with Smartphones (of all colours and creeds) and maybe someone developing the S7 or M10 or iPhone 7 or many of the tier two manufacturers (Oppo, OnePLusOne etc.) will consider.

I currently have a Samsung S5 and these are the things I want in a phone (other than the ability to make calls):-

· decent camera that performs in average (not even poor) light and can handle moving images without blurring. With kids, under bright halogen spotlights, I need to take 10 shots and hope that in one they’re both perfectly still. The addition of a flash does little other than to make skin tones look slightly green;

· shatter proof, or designed with a view to minimising impact. Everyone tries to make beautiful phones, but the slick design makes them more likely to shatter meaning you cover up the lovely design with a bulky, ugly case. Sony use rubberised corners on their handsets – genius!

· everyone adds a screen protector (many with bubbles) as soon as the get their new phone. Why not add one in the factory instead of the usual thin plastic wrap? A cheap and easy innovation that shows you actually care about the user.

· My Samsung S5 is waterproof, but I’d never test that feature out… Why does it remind me with an annoying warning every time I restart or remove the charging cover/back cover that I need to make sure it’s closed to maintain waterproof integrity. Why can’t I de-select this option?

· Power saving – a replaceable battery is a life saver, and means I can refresh my phone’s performance after 12 months.

· Also – why can’t it be set up with some decent optionality around power saving mode (i.e. at 45% battery, dim the screen, at 30% dim it more, at 20% turn off blutooth and GPS; at 15% turn off Wi-Fi/mobile data and switch to greyscale?)

· Micro SD cards just make sense. Every time. Nothing says “we don’t care about our customers” quite like dropping a great feature that people all really want.

· Glass backs scratch and shatter. See above – cue the thick cases….

· Let me dismiss the voicemail icon easily – I get a voicemail I call the EE voicemail number, I delete the message and the icon remains. I need to call the international voicemail number and wait to the end of the call and then hang-up, wait 2 minutes and then the icon disappears. It shouldn’t have to be that difficult.

· Google and Samsung Apps. Why are they so hard to disable? If my phone stops working correctly, I can re-enable. (PS why tell me how to manage the “default app for X” functionality every time I set a default function).

· Google+ running results in my phone’s contacts failing to work (with a pop-up message to that effect 10 times a day). Disable (but not uninstall, because it’s Google app) and the warning stops.

daveh75

Big Aura said:
everyone adds a screen protector (many with bubbles) as soon as the get their new phone. Why not add one in the factory instead of the usual thin plastic wrap? A cheap and easy innovation that shows you actually care about the user.

Everyone. Really?

I don't use them, nor want them factory fitted.
Power saving – a replaceable battery is a life saver, and means I can refresh my phone’s performance after 12 months.

The last time I had to replace a battery was on an HTC Desire. So I don't think its as much of a problem as it once was

Miccro SD cards just make sense. Every time. Nothing says “we don’t care about our customers” quite like dropping a great feature that people all really want.

Again is it a feature people really want?

Not a feature i've needed, wanted or used in years. Not including an SD card slot doesn't seem to have caused Apple to many issues...

·
Glass backs scratch and shatter. See above – cue the thick cases….

I had the original Nexus 4, that's back was supposedly prone to cracking around the camera cut-out, and resembled an air hockey puck (they changed the design in later models to include four pimples to stop it sliding off surfaces of its own accord) and never used a case on it and it was as pristine as the day I bought it when I gave it away

Let me dismiss the voicemail icon easily – I get a voicemail I call the EE voicemail number, I delete the message and the icon remains. I need to call the international voicemail number and wait to the end of the call and then hang-up, wait 2 minutes and then the icon disappears. It shouldn’t have to be that difficult.,

Never had that problem. Sounds like a carrier issue to me.

·
Google+ running results in my phone’s contacts failing to work (with a pop-up message to that effect 10 times a day). Disable (but not uninstall, because it’s Google app) and the warning stops.

Not a problem i've ever encountered

Most phones use Gorilla glass which is quite resistant to scratches.

I previously had HTC One M7. Excellent build quality, but gave me a lot of problems with dropped calls and data not working intermittently. Also the battery life was poor. I had to charge my phone again every afternoon (apart from overnight). I now have Sony Xperia Z3. Absolutely superb in every way: long battery life, excellent camera and call quality. It's waterproof as well, and I have washed it under running tap water!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
given you have to remove the plastic wrapper on the phone anyway, I didn't think pre-fitting an easily removable screen protector would cause such concern.

And the MicroSD option is far and away the easiest way to port info, particularly if you're a luddite. The cost premium Apple adds to its models to upgrade the memory is absolutely shocking, I don't understand how you wouldn't want to be able to choose a larger memory without paying 4x the cost of a MicroSD...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
And the MicroSD option is far and away the easiest way to port info, particularly if you're a luddite. The cost premium Apple adds to its models to upgrade the memory is absolutely shocking, I don't understand how you wouldn't want to be able to choose a larger memory without paying 4x the cost of a MicroSD...

My next phone will definitely have an SD card slot, with 128GB in it, I'm getting fed up not being able to whack as much music as I want on it.

daveh75

Big Aura said:
And the MicroSD option is far and away the easiest way to port info, particularly if you're a luddite.

Easiest?

I log in to my account and everything is automatically synced...

I don't understand how you wouldn't want to be able to choose a larger memory without paying 4x the cost of a MicroSD...

The cost difference between 16 and 64GB models of my phone is £40 so not much more than an decent 64GB MicroSD card.

And being eMMC is faster than microSD and not treated as a second class citizen by the OS

daveh75

Big Aura said:
and it syncs if you want to move from iPhone to Windows to Android?  Good system (assuming you're not Jennifer Lawrence).

Don't know about iOS (and not a problem i'll ever have)

But Google services will sync with Winphones.

And unlike JL I dont store anything 'sensitive' in the cloud, use good passwords and have 2factor enabled everywhere its available and unlike Apple/icloud, Google has always rate limited logins and are very good at detecting and notifying about suspicious account activity...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
where service is it? Is there a charge? thanks

I found moving from HTC to Samsung painful. HTC have a sync option that works for HTC to HTC, but switching manufacturer was not so simple to do.

daveh75

Big Aura said:
where service is it?  Is there a charge? thanks

?

I found moving from HTC to Samsung painful.  HTC have a sync option that works for HTC to HTC, but switching manufacturer was not so simple to do.

That's because you've been using OEM bloat.

When I log in to a new device using my Google login all contacts, calendar, mail, bookmarks,settings, apps, etc are synced (or whatever you choose, selected under the account settings)

jjbomber

Big Aura said:
I don't understand how you wouldn't want to be able to choose a larger memory without paying 4x the cost of a MicroSD...

Because that is how phones sell. An iphone costs £128 to make and sells for 5 times that. So 'only' paying 4 times as much is a bargain to some. That is the mentality of some phone buyers.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
When I log in to a new device using my Google login all contacts, calendar, mail, bookmarks,settings, apps, etc are synced (or whatever you choose, selected under the account settings)
My contacts and apps sync okay, it was more the transferring music and photos.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Ah OK. I just use Google Play Music nowadays, and don't do photos, but you could presumably use the google photos app, or just store them on drive, or OneDrive, or Dropbox etc
What phone do you use? Googleplay music was constantly stuttering for me. Downloaded stuff, and at different points, so not the fault of my rubbish broadband when I downloaded. Using an S5. It got to the point I wasn't using it. Moved to Deezer, and not had a problem once.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts