Yamaha YSP-2200 set up help

Knightrider

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Have bought a YSP-2200 after reading good reviews but as I cant hear any surround effects I think I've done something wrong! - please help! I'm using this with a 40" samsung smart HD TV and a samsung blue ray player. The player is plugged into the YSP-2200 via HD cable and the TV is plugged into the YSP-2200 via the ARC HDI socket. I've not used a digital audio (optical) cable as I understand you dont need this when using ARC? Set the YSP-2200 up using auto settings and mic. I've never seen a blue light come up on the front panel (which I understand denotes a surround signal) but only an orange light when watching some HD TV channels and DVDs - is this right? Even when the orange light is on I cant hear any surround effects. Could someone please tell me what settings I should have on the bar and the TV please. There is an option on the TV for PCM as well as Dolby out. I'm sure the unit must have a fault or I'm doing something wrong as very disappointed with the result thus far.

Many thanks :)

D

Deleted member 116933

Knightrider said:
Have bought a YSP-2200 after reading good reviews but as I cant hear any surround effects I think I've done something wrong! - please help! I'm using this with a 40" samsung smart HD TV and a samsung blue ray player. The player is plugged into the YSP-2200 via HD cable and the TV is plugged into the YSP-2200 via the ARC HDI socket. I've not used a digital audio (optical) cable as I understand you dont need this when using ARC? Set the YSP-2200 up using auto settings and mic. I've never seen a blue light come up on the front panel (which I understand denotes a surround signal) but only an orange light when watching some HD TV channels and DVDs - is this right? Even when the orange light is on I cant hear any surround effects. Could someone please tell me what settings I should have on the bar and the TV please. There is an option on the TV for PCM as well as Dolby out. I'm sure the unit must have a fault or I'm doing something wrong as very disappointed with the result thus far.

Many thanks :)

Firstly welcome.

Congrats on a nice bit of kit. Now for this thing to work properly it will need to be placed centrally along a wall not in a corner as this unit requires walls to create the effects. No walls no effects its that simple

Have you done this?

Next not all tv channels or HD broadcasts are DD (dolby digital) But it sounds like you have the 2200 in some sort of Direct mode which will keep the sound to the source materials oringinal mix eg. stereo will be stereo and DD where its DD.

The TV will need to be set to DD so that it passed those codecs through where possible. So DON'T set it to PCM

Your correct with using ARC. But not all tv's can output DD through ARC when playing back so you will need to consault your user manual for that.

AS for DVD's have you made sure the DVD player is set to Bitstream and is connected with Optical cable if needs be (maybe HDMI been along time for me using a DVD player)? You Made need to tell the yamaha to look for the optical coonection rather than HDMI.

You Can ignore the Oprtical cable part if you have a Blu ray player. As that will need to be connected through the HDMI. But again make sure it set to bitstream in the options of the blu ray player.

As for the lights on the unit looking in manual to tell you what they mean!? it might help you locate the problem

Try those trouble shooting tips first then come back if your still having problems!!! good luck

Knightrider

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much for the swift response. The unit is located centrally and it's in a square shaped room so should be an ideal environment. The TV can output DD via ARC. I'll check the sound output settings on the TV as this could be on PCM at present. Being a novice, I've no idea what Bitstream is on the Blu ray player but I'll have a look through the manual, find out and alter the settings if its not. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Knightrider said:
Have bought a YSP-2200 after reading good reviews but as I cant hear any surround effects I think I've done something wrong!...I'm sure the unit must have a fault or I'm doing something wrong as very disappointed with the result thus far.

How long have you had it? Did the shop have a clear returns policy? What did you have before? - in other words, what are you comparing it with?

Having heard one myself, I think the reviews on the Yamaha were very OTT and misleading. It's pretty poor at surround sources and simply worse than your flatscreen TV at playing stereo signals, so your experience matches my own feelings about it. Sorry that's probably not what you wanted to hear. I actually hope you can tweak it to your liking, but if not, it's a pretty expensive paperweight. Many returns policies have a limited time period to act, so don't put it off. Try the various permutations mentioned by Millenia One, but do so quickly, so if you're still not happy, you have sufficient time to send it back.

PS, it seems you've learned a lesson many of us have learned the hard way at some point: never trust reviews. By all means use them as a guide to shortlist, but always audition first and decide for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts