Small and active

gasolin

I had some money i though i would use for a new gpu......... as you might allready have guessed i didn't use it for that.

So what did i buy and why?

An active speaker thread in here made me look at active speakers, studio monitors....... love looking at speakers,watching youtube videos, reviews, yes i know im sick,crazy *man_in_love*

Have noticed when i play loud it sounds better when im about half a meter away from my keyboard, yes i listen to most of my music when i use my pc, isn't it obvious studio monitors would sound best where im listen most of the time to music?

My local craigslist or what ever you call it over there in uk/usa for all kinds of used stuff, i was looking just for fun at studio monitors (sometimes that could get you a good deal,looking for fun), M audio,krk,Mackie,yamaha...... i forgot one brand, genelec...... there it was one of the smaller once's and not just any genelec, one i could afford and in white, the cutest speakers ever, have always for many years wanted a white pair of genelecs, best waf in the world, bring a pair back home, 6010a,8010,g one as long as it's in white.......your wife (if you happen to have one) wil serve you steak, that's how cute,sexy they are in white.

How about the sound?

First of all they are small,second they sound big.

Some may think they are bright sounding with not alot of bass and can't play loud.

Guess what....... not true, they have the best bass for a small speaker i have ever heard,deep and dynamic, they are also punchy (they are bi amped so that can have a positive effect on the bass,sound quality) the sound is wide, i think it's called the stereo image and the midrange... listening to this chris rea song, his voice sounds so clear and open, have never heard such a clear and open midrange and it's only youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nvjojq8cH4 started with all eq's (on the speaker) to off and later tried the desktop setting since they are placed on a desktop with reflections (hoping for the stands to arrive tomorrow) it helps reduce muddiness under or around 200hz.

Are the speakers loud, hell yes, wharfedale diamond 220 are rated at max peak spl at 95, the genelecs are rated at 93db and 102db as max for a pair, sitting at my pc around 85-87 db using my phone with an spl meter app they are okay loud, no distortion, could listen to music for long time at this level without listening fattigue, no where in my appartment where i can't here the sound nice and clear at medium volume,spl, impressive for such a small speaker.

My other speakers im gonna keep, for now i won't sell them unless i have to, then i can change between the speakers for a longer or shorter periode, if i want to.

The genelec 6010a are super sexy small active speakers with the highest waf, detailed top that isn't to bright, very open and clear midrange, deep dynamic and despite there size punchy bass,wide stereo image and surpringly loud, 85-90 db it can handle with no problems, just don't expect them to do edm at insane levels or for that matter any bass heavy music at high levels, it does after all only have a 3" woofer

Look at them and tell my you don't find them sexy https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/2295390.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Listened to small Genelecs years ago. Remember I was more impressed by Adam's at the same price. I guess there is only so much they can do with such a small speaker.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
:)

Genelec's speakers are really good. Some of the best around IMO. Check out their range of three-way coaxal speakers if ever you get a chance. They really take it up to another level beyond their regular two-way speakers.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-ones

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8351a

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8260a

gasolin

steve_1979 said:
:)

Genelec's speakers are really good. Some of the best around IMO. Check out their range of three-way coaxal speakers if ever you get a chance. They really take it up to another level beyond their regular two-way speakers.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-ones

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8351a

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8260a

I will never be able to afford one of the bigger onces since i have limited space on my desk, if i had, i would have bought some of there dsp speakers

Listened to this pink floyd song last night and with all eq off i was surprised rogers bass wass so clear, it sounded like a bass, not just some rumble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96WWJg3IU8c i hope bass will be between eq off and desktop (-4db around 200hz) when i get the stands and set the desktop to off

In white please https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9Mf8R1drY

insider9

gasolin said:
insider9 said:
Awesome, congrats! I've sold my graphics card to help fund my hifi purchases :)

Did you sell your graphic card?

I didn't, i hade some money i wanted to use for upgrading my pc, i used it to buy those cute white genelecs
Yes, had a GTX 970 and I didn't really do any gaming. Thought it was a waste so sold it. Easier to explain to wife movement of equipment when she also sees stuff going out and not always coming in :)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Blimey. I am almost certain, I was spending too much money on muffled, not efficient passive speakers ( although one should always have a good pair of ) and not buying Active LS when I should have years ago. Next purchase are active ones maybe Genelec , maybe Euqator D5 and a new pair of passive ones german made Nubert 483. But I think actives are the way to go. We will see..I too much crave for this clear dynamic radio sound that I think only actives can offer (?)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
stereoman said:
Blimey. I am almost certain, I was spending too much money on muffled, not efficient passive speakers ( although one should always have a good pair of ) and not buying Active LS when I should have years ago. Next purchase are active ones maybe Genelec , maybe Euqator D5 and a new pair of passive ones german made Nubert 483. But I think actives are the way to go. We will see..I too much crave for this clear dynamic radio sound that I think only actives can offer (?)

Most studio monitors, even the smallest genelec are bi amped with an electronic crossover, according to genelec

That's why most studio monitors are dynamic speakers with a studio sound, not all studio monitors have a flat sound, just that they all try to play the music more or less how it's recorded.

We could say with good passive speakers,studio monitors that studio monitors lets the sound quality be determined by the record and not by the hifi components,m studio monitors are honest speskers (they never lie ;-) )

thumbs_up.png
exactly ! Great inbuilt amp - speaker synergy for example.

gasolin

stereoman said:

Most studio monitors, even the smallest genelec are bi amped with an electronic crossover, according to genelec

That's why most studio monitors are dynamic speakers with a studio sound, not all studio monitors have a flat sound, just that they all try to play the music more or less how it's recorded.

We could say with good passive speakers,studio monitors, that studio monitors lets the sound quality be determined by the record and not by the hifi components, studio monitors are honest speakers (they never lie ;-) )

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stereoman said:
gasolin said:
stereoman said:

We could say with good passive speakers,studio monitors that studio monitors lets the sound quality be determined by the record and not by the hifi components,m studio monitors are honest speskers (they never lie ;-) )

exactly ! Great inbuilt amp - speaker synergy for example.

Depends how much you spend. Compromised electronics, cheap enclosures and drivers don't always make for a happy marriage, active or not. Choosing 'studio monitors' wisely is just as important as it is with Hifi stuff.

Most cheap 'pro' actives probably sound ... cheap.

gasolin

You can't go wrong with the big brands like genelec,adam audio,eve audio (there smallest speakers have a price tag where most people can afford them)

Some small speaker can be a little midrange or midbass heavy to compensate to a certain degrees for bass under 80-100hz

It's only bass lets say 80 to 50 hz and max spl that makes the differnce between small and big speakers from the same brand

If you want small and expecially light speaker try listen to these speaker although they are as small as the genelecs 6010a,8010 and g one (unit's) they for some reason should be more punch max 107 db (100 Hz to 10 kHz) 55hz, genelec 6010a 102db 73 hz (specs from genelec seems more realist 107d from 100-10 khz the iloud speakers shoud have a pretty decent (high) woofer excursion), one genelec has almost the same weight as 2 iloud speakers

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_iloud_micro_monitor.htm

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting that Gasolin.

The Wharfedale website gives the following specifications for the 220's:

---------------------------------------------------------
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m)86dBRecommended amplifier
power25-100WPeak SPL95dB

10 watts would give 96 dbs at 1 metre. And yet the recommeded amplifier power is 25 - 100 watts.

Does this mean that the power handling of the 220's is only 9.5 watts? In which case, surely a 10 watt amplifier would be fine for them?

Or is it because the the Peak SPL figure does not include the distance?

The Peak SPL figure on the Wharfedale website is meaningless because we don't know the distance. And we don't know if other manufacturers are using the same distance when specifying the peak SPL's for their speakers.

gasolin

lindsayt said:
Thanks for posting that Gasolin.

The Wharfedale website gives the following specifications for the 220's:

Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 86dB Recommended amplifierpower 25-100W Peak SPL 95dB

10 watts would give 96 dbs at 1 metre. And yet the recommeded amplifier power is 25 - 100 watts.

Does this mean that the power handling of the 220's is only 9.5 watts? In which case, surely a 10 watt amplifier would be fine for them?

Or is it because the the Peak SPL figure does not include the distance?

The Peak SPL figure on the Wharfedale website is meaningless because we don't know the distance. And we don't know if other manufacturers are using the same distance when specifying the peak SPL's for their speakers.

No idea why they rate it to only 95 db, it's actually *wacko* that they specifiy it and it so low

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts