Does anyone else think 4K ultra HD and HDR Blu-Ray is a big con?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
gel said:
Paying for another calibration without trying 4K and HDR first would've been idiotic!  Besides it doesn't have the calibration tools to calibrate 4K and HDR right.
Yes, but resetting to factory settings before deciding may have resulted in you being happy with HDR. Anyway, you've gone for a cheaper TV so all good.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Paying for another calibration without trying 4K and HDR first would've been idiotic! Besides it doesn't have the calibration tools to calibrate 4K and HDR right.

I'm not sure about HDR, but I'd be surprised if the Panasonic 4K OLED couldn't be calibrated for 4K??
I was counting 4k and HDR as the same, because they are effectively aren't they because they come as a package. There was no difference to the picture with HDR on or off.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Paying for another calibration without trying 4K and HDR first would've been idiotic! Besides it doesn't have the calibration tools to calibrate 4K and HDR right.

I'm not sure about HDR, but I'd be surprised if the Panasonic 4K OLED couldn't be calibrated for 4K?? Mind you, maybe a factory reset as bigboss had been suggesting wouldn't have worked for you, Gel. In his review, Mr Steve Withers says in the "Picture settings out of the box" section, and read the following section also, that the Panasonic 4K OLED was so accurate out of the box that calibration was unlikely to make much improvement.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz952b-cz952-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.11988

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Yes, but resetting to factory settings before deciding may have resulted in you being happy with HDR. Anyway, you've gone for a cheaper TV so all good.
I couldn't know because I sold it as calibrated. I am now thinking I might be the LG 65ef950v flat screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

I'm not sure about HDR, but I'd be surprised if the Panasonic 4K OLED couldn't be calibrated for 4K?? Mind you, maybe a factory reset as bigboss had been suggesting wouldn't have worked for you, Gel. In his review, Mr Steve Withers says in the "Picture settings out of the box" section, and read the following section also, that the Panasonic 4K OLED was so accurate out of the box that calibration was unlikely to make much improvement.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz952b-cz952-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.11988
That's rubbish, the factory settings were dreadful. I never used them. Worse factory settings I have seen.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
See the amendment to my post #53, which I made while you were replying to the earlier version.
Interesting.

gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
Paying for another calibration without trying 4K and HDR first would've been idiotic!  Besides it doesn't have the calibration tools to calibrate 4K and HDR right.
I couldn't know because I sold it as calibrated.  I am now thinking I might be the LG 65ef950v flat screen. 
Why don't you demo in shops and research well before buying? You seem to be changing TVs on a weekly basis now. It's not easy to unpack and repack, and causes loss to shops who cannot then sell it as new.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
I couldn't know because I sold it as calibrated. I am now thinking I might be the LG 65ef950v flat screen.
Why don't you demo in shops and research well before buying? You seem to be changing TVs on a weekly basis now. It's not easy to unpack and repack, and causes loss to shops who cannot then sell it as new.
I have only changed once and that was because of a fault.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yes, but you're already thinking of changing it, with either the 65-inch LG or the 75-inch Sony.
It was only an idea with the Sony, I havent made my mind up totally. The best one I have demoed is the LG 65-inch. Just not sure about the money though. 4k and HDR I see no benefit of just adding to the cost.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
As a lad my TV watching was 9" screen, 405 line, VHF and black and white. I still enjoyed watching Steptoe & Son and Hancock even with my dad always at the rear of the TV adjusting horizontal and vertical hold controls!!

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Gel listen mate,there are people on here who are genuinely trying to help you,there are also people genuinley trying to wind you up.You must filter the good and ignore the rest.When a hook is cast your way DON'T bite or the thread will become a slanging match. I have just replaced my 9 yr old 50" Panny Plasma with the Panasonic 58DX902b LED TV.Just the right size for me,had it 3 days now and thoroughly enjoying it.As Steve Withers said it is damn near perfect out of the Box, as any improvement would not be detectable by the human eye.Got it from John Lewis for £2749,deliberately chose a model that you hadn't tried,as I didn't want one of your Returns hahahaha. *yahoo*Seriously though it is a stunning Picture, TV sound is excellent too 40w per channel.although I have it hooked up to my Denon/ Kef surround kit.Not tried 4K / HDR yet but BlueRay performance is awesome.Anyway I am future proof for a few years as I won't buy again for another 9 years, if I can help it.*biggrin*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
Gel listen mate,there are people on here who are genuinely trying to help you,there are also people genuinley trying to wind you up.You must filter the good and ignore the rest.When a hook is cast your way DON'T bite or the thread will become a slanging match.

*good*

D

Deleted member 2457

RodhasGibson said:
Gel listen mate,there are people on here who are genuinely trying to help you,there are also people genuinley trying to wind you up.You must filter the good and ignore the rest.When a hook is cast your way DON'T bite or the thread will become a slanging match. I have just replaced my 9 yr old 50" Panny Plasma with the Panasonic 58DX902b LED TV.Just the right size for me,had it 3 days now and thoroughly enjoying it.As Steve Withers said it is damn near perfect out of the Box, as any improvement would not be detectable by the human eye.Got it from John Lewis for £2749,deliberately chose a model that you hadn't tried,as I didn't want one of your Returns hahahaha. *yahoo*Seriously though it is a stunning Picture, TV sound is excellent too 40w per channel.although I have it hooked up to my Denon/ Kef surround kit.Not tried 4K / HDR yet but BlueRay performance is awesome.Anyway I am future proof for a few years as I won't buy again for another 9 years, if I can help it.*biggrin*
Cheers, yes there are people definitely trying to wind me up and WHF are doing nothing. I just ignore it most of the time. I never start anything.

Ah well done mate, that's great! I still can't quite decide which TV to go for. I am not interested in 4K or HDR, just 2D performance. I think I will probably now buy a 65-inch OLED TV.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

I'm not sure about HDR, but I'd be surprised if the Panasonic 4K OLED couldn't be calibrated for 4K??
I was counting 4k and HDR as the same, because they are effectively aren't they because they come as a package. There was no difference to the picture with HDR on or off.

No, 4K and HDR are not the same. However, you can get a 4K set that doesn't have HDR (like most 4K sets from 2014 and 2015, and several current lower-specification models), but I think that all HDR sets are 4K resolution.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
As a lad my TV watching was 9" screen, 405 line, VHF and black and white. I still enjoyed watching Steptoe & Son and Hancock even with my dad always at the rear of the TV adjusting horizontal and vertical hold controls!!

I have, and use daily in order to save my electricity bill, two of these little televisions, and a third bought a month ago on eBay seems to have got lost in the post ...

http://www.petervis.com/gallery/Toys_and_Games/5_Inch_Black_and_White_TV_With_AM_FM_Radio/5_Inch_Black_and_White_TV_With_AM_FM_Radio.html

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Good luck mate, Awesome build quality Super stand and looks Cool. I have mine set to Normal for daytime and True Cinema for Night. Overscan turned Off all other niceties off.The Firefox interface is nice too.Also great pics from Apple TV 4.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Gel before dismissing hdr why dont you demo the samsung ks9500 when it is released here in a month or two. Then see if you like it or not. Hdr is much more noticeable on screens that can go much brighter with still good blacks

T

theflyingwasp

Gel - do you kinda wish you had just stuck with the calibrated Panasonic VT you had back in the day? I can't remember was that one a 65inch?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
As soon as you have all brought 4k TV's the TV's companies will want you to upgrade to the next greastest thing to happen to TV's. They don't care if it's not that big of leap as they will lie and tell you that it is in order to get you to part with your money. 1080p is fine by me and I don't plan to upgrade my TV for a very long time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts