Does anyone else think 4K ultra HD and HDR Blu-Ray is a big con?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I do, two Oleds and neither look any better than Blu-ray!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Depends on the screen size and viewing distance. As I said before, it's HDR more than 4K resolution that will make the biggest impact.
HDR on my 55-inch OLED seems to make little difference, all it does it make the begining credits brighter and that's about it. The picture doesnt benefit from it, at least on 4k Blu-ray. I am not going to be wasting any more money on it.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
I am not going to be wasting any more money on it.

And I'm not going to make a case for you to spend more money. :)
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I had a dream last night that I re-bought the Panasonic OLED from John Lewis for £4000!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I think it is a big con they have dicked about with the brightness and darkness but not with the sharpness (resolution) which is what i was expecting a pin sharp picture but what you get is a load of rubbish and something no better than 1080p.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
I think it is a big con they have dicked about with the brightness and darkness but not with the sharpness (resolution) which is what i was expecting a pin sharp picture but what you get is a load of rubbish and something no better than 1080p.
Agreed. Not impressed with people pushing and praising it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Should be seeing HDR and 4K on a big screen this weekend in ideal conditions - I will let you know what I think.

I will say I watched the Martian at the weekend upscaled 4K and it looked good enough to me not to worry about it in HDR 10 but etc

However opinions could well be changed this weekend.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Should be seeing HDR and 4K on a big screen this weekend in ideal conditions - I will let you know what I think.

I will say I watched the Martian at the weekend upscaled 4K and it looked good enough to me not to worry about it in HDR 10 but etc

However opinions could well be changed this weekend.
*good*

T

theflyingwasp

Con? No.i just think the majority of people don't really understand what 4K is AND never will.their 4,5,6 year television breaks down and they trot down to their local currys get overwhelmed with all the choice ,get bombarded with meaningless facts to all but people like us - HDR ,HFR ,1080p,OLED,4K ,motion processing etc etc .all most people want a TV for is watching TV,

They then get their shiny new 4K TV the salesman has bull crapped them into buying home and say "this didn't look the TV picture we saw in the shop"

these people have no intention of ever buying £ 20 4K Blu Ray discs or 4K Blu-Ray players I doubt they even buy Blu Ray .they will then watch nothing but 1080i on a 48 -55 inch 4K screen from sky or virgin until that TV breaks then the cycle continues.

was speaking to a clown the other day who hates 3D because when he pressed the 3D button on his TVs remote eastenders looked no different.

i dont even mean it in a nasty way they have just bought or been sold something they will never use to its full potential.

Oh and Netflix and sky and virgin 4K - what a farce.if they can't give us 1080p what bloody hope does 4K have.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I believe HD is adequate as it does improve quality. 4K artificially enhances the image to unreal sharpness. Test this by using your eyes and look around you. Your eyes will relay to your brain of your surroundings in standard definition quality. My family do not even choose HD channels. If that is good enough for them then it is good enough for me. Shame 3D has been discontinued in favour of 4K. When I worked in the TV industry widescreen was the new boy on the block with the 4:3 format stretched to fit 16:9.

T

theflyingwasp

I think you have a pretty good point there .HD is more than adequate for the masses.its only film buffs pushing 4K.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Right now people with high end LED tvs notice a difference of hdr more than people with OLED tvs. Simply because of the increased brightness oled cant achieve as much of.

Admittedly 4k alone isnt a big improvement. I probably couldnt tell much difference on resolution alone even when sitting close to my 55"

Combine everything together and it is a big improvement for me. 1080p still looks amazing and i could still watch 1080p content no problem im not one of those people who say (after seeing 4k i never can go back to blu ray)

But after buying a near flagship tv that retailed for £2800 itd be silly to watch ONLY 1080p. So early adopter of the format i am.

I understand people do not like it as it is. And thats fine

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
I think you have a pretty good point there .HD is more than adequate for the masses.its only film buffs pushing  4K.

I watch game of thrones and the walking dead when it comes out on mondays and indeed it still looks "good" its not quite good enough for me. Id hate to watch 720p stuff all the time. Cant enjoy it fully i spend more time hating the picture than enjoying the show.

Glad the days of watching twd in 360p are gone..

T

theflyingwasp

Lol yeah the old "he doesn't know if he's going for a s**t or a haircut "definitely applies here.

Edbo2 said:
I believe HD is adequate as it does improve quality. 4K artificially enhances the image to unreal sharpness. Test this by using your eyes and look around you. Your eyes will relay to your brain of your surroundings in standard definition quality. My family do not even choose HD channels. If that is good enough for them then it is good enough for me. Shame 3D has been discontinued in favour of 4K. When I worked in the TV industry widescreen was the new boy on the block with the 4:3 format stretched to fit 16:9.
You need glasses mate. :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Load of valid points here, especially concerning the fact most people don't properly understand what it is they're buying into, and more to the point we don't have any proper 4k TV channels. I haven't seen Netflix 4k and I don't know what codecs they use, but I suspect there's quite a bit of data compression to reduce the impact of storing and streaming films of such huge dimensions; they won't be as good as 4k BD because the infrastructure isn't in place to deliver such quality reliably over the internet, and by 'deliver' think of everything in the chain, not just that you have a 70mbit bb connection; that's almost the least of their worries.

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
Load of valid points here, especially concerning the fact most people don't properly understand what it is they're buying into, and more to the point we don't have any proper 4k TV channels. I haven't seen Netflix 4k and I don't know what codecs they use, but I suspect there's quite a bit of data compression to reduce the impact of storing and streaming films of such huge dimensions; they won't be as good as 4k BD because the infrastructure isn't in place to deliver such quality reliably over the internet, and by 'deliver' think of everything in the chain, not just that you have a 70mbit bb connection; that's almost the least of their worries.
4K Blu-Ray is crap! The best demo I have seen is just 4K by itself via YouTube actually taken with a 4K video camera and then it looks quite decent. 4K movies via YouTube are crap too.

D

Deleted member 2457

3D was just a big con to up the prices of TVs too and now we have 4K and HDR - avoid like the plague!

T

theflyingwasp

I would like to have seen your Panasonic OLED calibrated with the Panasonic 4K Blu Ray player playing mad max - it can't have been that bad.

my concern at the moment is that the current 4K blu Ray movies aren't really 4k the majority of the film is 2k with the special effects in 4K.the tech has to start somewhere.anyone buying a 4K tv to watch anything except 4K Blu Ray is kidding themselves.its the only media that's going to give you actual proper 4K content.if it looked crap on your state of the art Panasonic gel God knows how it must look on cheaper 4K TVs,catalogue garbage and supermarket TVs.these are the people have most definitely been conned.lets not forget about the poor folk that invested in 4K straight away they can't even watch Netflix!.

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
I would like to have seen your Panasonic OLED calibrated with the Panasonic 4K Blu Ray player playing mad max - it can't have been that bad.

my concern at the moment is that the current 4K blu Ray movies aren't really 4k the majority of the film is 2k with the special effects in 4K.the tech has to start somewhere.anyone buying a 4K tv to watch anything except 4K Blu Ray is kidding themselves.its the only media that's going to give you actual proper 4K content.if it looked crap on your state of the art Panasonic gel God knows how it must look on cheaper 4K TVs,catalogue garbage and supermarket TVs.these are the people have most definitely been conned.lets not forget about the poor folk that invested in 4K straight away they can't even watch Netflix!.
It Edited by mods was that bad!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
4K Blu-Ray is crap!

There's no technical reason why 4K Blu-Ray should be 'crap'. The discs have have upto a 100GB capacity and stream the data at upto 128Mbit/s at 60fps. It will be light-years before we have the infrastructure to reliably deliver that quality to every home via the internet.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
It's early days and there is still a lot of stuff to fine tune with firmware updates etc.

I remember when Sky HD first came out with sky 1 and bbc HD and convinced myself I could tell the difference but not really.. Not until 3 TVs, 4 BD players loads of firmware downloads, I could now see the difference between Standard def and HD. This was 7 years ago and now I can Deffo see a difference, in fact it's night and day. My point is, it takes time for new tech to improve and is too early to upgrade unless you need to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts