Does anyone else think 4K ultra HD and HDR Blu-Ray is a big con?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Series1boy said:
It's early days and there is still a lot of stuff to fine tune with firmware updates etc.

I remember when Sky HD first came out with sky 1 and bbc HD and convinced myself I could tell the difference but not really.. Not until 3 TVs, 4 BD players loads of firmware downloads, I could now see the difference between Standard def and HD. This was 7 years ago and now I can Deffo see a difference, in fact it's night and day. My point is, it takes time for new tech to improve and is too early to upgrade unless you need to.
+1.

Exactly the reason why I'm waiting for 2-3 years before deciding on 4K. There is no doubt that 4K and HDR are superior to 1080p. Proper implementation will take a year or so.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:
It's early days and there is still a lot of stuff to fine tune with firmware updates etc.

I remember when Sky HD first came out with sky 1 and bbc HD and convinced myself I could tell the difference but not really.. Not until 3 TVs, 4 BD players loads of firmware downloads, I could now see the difference between Standard def and HD. This was 7 years ago and now I can Deffo see a difference, in fact it's night and day. My point is, it takes time for new tech to improve and is too early to upgrade unless you need to.
+1.

Exactly the reason why I'm waiting for 2-3 years before deciding on 4K. There is no doubt that 4K and HDR are superior to 1080p. Proper implementation will take a year or so.

yep and I'm spending money on upgrading my surround sound..

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think 4k works very well on my computer monitor, providing excellent clarity to the fonts, photos, etc.

It does mean that if I wanted to I could view 4k videos from my computer, and have no need to consider a full sized 4k TV until my existing TV goes kaput.

T

theflyingwasp

Yeah the whole thing is frustrating.i was so close to buying mr gels Panasonic and getting a 4K blu ray player no matter the cost,but not now.its actually quite strange that most of the folk on the forum DONT have 4K TVs .maybe waiting another year till everything settles down won't hurt.

just saw CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR .best superhero movie since THE DARK KNIGHT!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I do, two Oleds and neither look any better than Blu-ray!
I've not read the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating anything said already.

I've stated a few times on these forums that UHD will be of greatest benefit on home theatre projectors using screens around 8ft wide or larger. Normal size TVs aren't going to allow the user to enjoy the benefit of the extra resolution.

buzz_lightclick

My brother in law has a 60" 4K Panasonic led TV and for general Sky HD viewing I think my Pioneer plasma is about 3 times better.

However he did show me a GoPro 4K video clip shot on holiday and the image was crystal clear and very impressive with better detail than anything I'd seen before.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:

I've stated a few times on these forums that UHD will be of greatest benefit on home theatre projectors using screens around 8ft wide or larger. Normal size TVs aren't going to allow the user to enjoy the benefit of the extra resolution.
Yep, it so don't work.

T

theflyingwasp

The whole 4K thing is becoming a bit of a headache.been talking about this for almost 2 years and we still seem no further forward. I was disappointed when mr gel gave the Panasonic OLED such a thumbs down,even more so when the 4K Blu Ray player and movies were just as crap. The man knows his stuff and if the state of the art gear he bought was no good god knows how the cheaper 4K models look.i can understand the smaller screen sizes being pointless but 65 Panasonic OLED should have been awesome.what a farce.1080p it is for a while to come I think.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldnt buy a 1080 set nowadays unless its undrr 40 inches. Retailers in the US have basically stopped selling them anyway.
Netflix streams a limited amount of 4K in the US and you can definitely tell the difference.
Upscaled 1080 content, whatever the source, not so much, but still sharper.p
From the rest of you all I'm hearing is the same bleating I remember from 40 years ago when people bought (or rented) their first colour TVs and complained that the black and white movies were still black and white.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
My brother in law has a 60" 4K Panasonic led TV and for general Sky HD viewing I think my Pioneer plasma is about 3 times better.
Broadcast 1080i/p varies quite a lot in quality, but viewed on a native 1080 screen, will have the advantage of not being upscaled as it would be with a UHD screen. Blow up a photo to four times its size and see how good it looks.

However he did show me a GoPro 4K video clip shot on holiday and the image was crystal clear and very impressive with better detail than anything I'd seen before.
4K video will usually look more impressive to most people than 4K film.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
The whole 4K thing is becoming a bit of a headache.

Us and our first world problems eh. :)

Me? I'll let other people with much deeper pockets be the guinnea pigs, same as I did with 1080p. Wake me in four years.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:

Yep, it so don't work.
It does work. UHD can look fantastic, but it just needs to be on a screen large enough to start showing 1080p's shortcomings. I'm sure with the right scenes, UHD can be easily shown to be better than 1080p even on a 50" TV.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:

Yep, it so don't work.
It does work. UHD can look fantastic, but it just needs to be on a screen large enough to start showing 1080p's shortcomings. I'm sure with the right scenes, UHD can be easily shown to be better than 1080p even on a 50" TV.

@David (Frank Harvey) Just so that you know, or about six weeks around March, Gel had the Panasonic 65CZ952 4K OLED, which he evenutally couldn't abide, even though it was calibrated by Gordon Fraser before he bought it, ex-display. Then about a week ago, he bought the LG 55EG960V OLED (curved).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
The whole 4K thing is becoming a bit of a headache.been talking about this for almost 2 years and we still seem no further forward. I was disappointed when mr gel gave the Panasonic OLED such a thumbs down,even more so when the 4K Blu Ray player and movies were just as crap. The man knows his stuff and if the state of the art gear he bought was no good god knows how the cheaper 4K models look.i can understand the smaller screen sizes being pointless but 65 Panasonic OLED should have been awesome.what a farce.1080p it is for a while to come I think.

Over on AVForums, a few (not many) have the Panasonic OLED, and they love it. In October last year it was unanimously reviewed as the best consumer television that the world has ever seen. Gel is the only one who couldn't like the television, but that doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

By the way, it's now 25% off, six grand at Richer Sounds, with a six-year warranty.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:

Yep, it so don't work.  

But you're still considering buying a 75" Sony just to make sure of that right?

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
gel said:

Yep, it so don't work.

But you're still considering buying a 75" Sony just to make sure of that right?
1080p one, I am now thinking just to keep my OLED.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Over on AVForums, a few (not many) have the Panasonic OLED, and they love it. In October last year it was unanimously reviewed as the best consumer television that the world has ever seen. Gel is the only one who couldn't like the television, but that doesn't make his opinion any less valid.
Was it calibrated from the off, or during ownership? Maybe he didn't like the calibrated look?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Was it calibrated from the off, or during ownership? Maybe he didn't like the calibrated look?

Gel bought it, ex-display, from Homesound in Edinburgh. It had been calibrated for Homesound by Gordon Fraser. Many of us urged Gel to get it calibrated again for his environment, but he chose to sell it on.

I've just had my Sony and Panasonic calibrated, and the Pioneer LX5090 recalibrated, and I'm a big fan of calibration. Still, with only about seven calibrators in the entire UK, it's just as well that more people don't ask for their services!

K

keeper of the quays

I have a old flat screentv with a arcam dv thingy for playing dvds..its alright! We don't see in high def? At least I don't until I put my glasses on! This I must have the resolution possible? Is weird? Why? If you want a cinematic experience,go to the cinema! I like films very much..But tv? Why bother? There's a underlying bias to popular tv shows and this insidious crawling creature is getting it's claws into everything on tv be it soaps or news especially with the BBC! Music on the other hand just requires you to listen. No opinions it imparts or subtle left wing whispering! Just uplifts your soul...As soon as the damn tv is switched on it requires all your attention..it tries to to remove your ability to think for yourself and at the same time sells you washing powder! A more interesting topic would be the insidious march of political correctness emanating from television..Not whether it has high enough resolution! Subtle brainwashing resolves itself..with all of us becoming politically correct robots..ill stick mostly to music..Purcell over Panasonic...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I've just had my Sony and Panasonic calibrated, and the Pioneer LX5090 recalibrated, and I'm a big fan of calibration. Still, with only about seven calibrators in the entire UK, it's just as well that more people don't ask for their services!
But I've found that some people don't like calibrated screens - much in the same way that some people prefer a little 'colour' to their audio listening. Don't get me wrong, just like audio, there's a right way to do things, but more often than not, the customer prefers something a little less perfect. I hope Gel tried his own settings before selling it on...

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
Son_of_SJ said:
But I've found that some people don't like calibrated screens - much in the same way that some people prefer a little 'colour' to their audio listening. Don't get me wrong, just like audio, there's a right way to do things, but more often than not, the customer prefers something a little less perfect. I hope Gel tried his own settings before selling it on...
The calibration was awesome like I have explained many times. I couldn't get 4K and HDR to work though and it felt like a Panasonic plasma which I already had and sold because I didn't like Panasonic plasmas compared to LG OLEDs. I am happy with my LG now that's why I sold it and I pocketed some money, I also found the normal settings much better on the LG.

D

Deleted member 2457

I also didn't find the size difference much different if at all.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paying for another calibration without trying 4K and HDR first would've been idiotic! Besides it doesn't have the calibration tools to calibrate 4K and HDR right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts