Do you think4k blu-ray be the last physical media films and TV shows come on?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Silly I'm asking this as I only have a HD TV (yes I need to upgrade) but will the film and TV studios ever release films and TV shows on another physical format or is 4k blu-ray going to be the last? If it is the last, will you miss physical media? I think we are coming to the end of physical media for new films and TV show releases. I will miss all the extras they put on the physical disk which you don't get to see when you stream a film or TV program. I wonder how film lovers who buy all their films on on physical media feel about the end of films on physical media if that is indeed coming.

I suspect so, but can't help but feel that it 8k eventually becomes a proper thing, there would be money to be made in devoted fans at high prices. I'd be perfectly happy (well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration) to shell out tidy sums for the best reproduction of a few of my very favourite films.

It's interesting that 4k discs seem often to be of cult classics rather than blockbusters of yore - you've got to love a film to want to buy it again...

Reactions: WayneKerr

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
From what I have read it seems unlikely we will have an 8K disc, but then again that, was said about 4K discs initially. With more people every day seeing FTTP deployed, streaming seems the most likely option but I quite like having discs so it would be nice to see it given the technology now exists to fit an 8K movie onto a disc!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
The TECH World IS getting way ahead of itself these days.
Most folks on planet Earth probs do not even HAVE a 4K TV.
The Techy World though will ALWAYS come out with 'the next new thing' as they HAVE to given that It is their business/their World.
Today, MOST Decent TV's have 4K Upscale ability and for the common 5/8 anything more than this is not Ever needed.
So for me, it all stopped with 1080p given the sharpness and the great colour.

The more 'Tecky Geeks'.. will ALWAYS be buying that 'next best thing' as they mostly Always do, so THAT is 'the captured audience' for the BIG GAME Makers of NEW TECH.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
If the tech world never improved on already available technology we have then people would not be on this site as the wold wide web would never had been invented as the internet alone would of been good enough. The tech world would of not developed 16 bit computers as 8 bit computers would of been good enough. The jet engine would of never been invented as the propeller would of been good enough. The electric can opener would of not been invented as the manual can opener would of been good enough. I could go on and on. All already available tech in the tech world gets improved on to make it better no matter weather anyone reading this thinks that's the case of not. TV's are no exception to that rule.

Last edited:
If the tech world never improved on already available technology we have then people would not be on this site as the wold wide web would never had been invented as the internet alone would of been good enough. The tech world would of not developed 16 bit computers as 8 bit computers would of been good enough. The jet engine would of never been invented as the propeller would of been good enough. The electric can opener would of not been invented as the manual can opener would of been good enough. I could go on and on. All already available tech in the tech world gets improved on to make it better no matter weather anyone reading this thinks that's the case of not. TV's are no exception to that rule.
I agree. The scientists in the TV research labs don't have marketing in mind. What keeps their enthusiasm going is to constantly improve the technology bit by bit. Over 2-3 years, the tech improvement may not be apparent. But when you look back over a longer timeline, you can see the significant improvements they've made.

manicm

I definitely believe that 4k will be the last disc format. Simply because the hardware is dwindling. The players have become a niche market and too expensive. Admittedly this is truer in some countries than others, but as a global trend I believe I'm correct.

In my country they're not selling new 4k players - at all. But still selling all other latest AV equipment. Go figure. That can only tell me there's no market for it.

The bitter irony though - I spinned up David's Blue Planet II, and Planet Earth II blurays on my 11 year old Cambridge Audio 751BD player, and guess what? On my LG C1 TV to my eyes those discs served up better picture quality than Dolby Vision 4K streamed from Netflix or Disney.

I'm not exaggerating. But I believe they were shot in 4k, and 4k downscaled always looks better than pure 1080p, from what I know.

I'm sure 4k discs would be even more dazzling, but it's all out of reach for me I'm afraid.

My 751BD has proved to be a keeper though - I nearly let it go.

Last edited:
8K will be of little use if it requires heavy compression to be fitted onto a disc or streamed. Similarly, 8K TVs will be of little use of their upscaling abilities are sub par. 8K, if it becomes any sort of standard, should be about ultimate quality - just as 4K should be really.

I doubt very much we’ll see any physical 8K. The industry is still too scared to drop DVD in case sales drop, but while they continue to let it be, it’s crippling the sales of HD and UHD.

8K will be of little use if it requires heavy compression to be fitted onto a disc or streamed. Similarly, 8K TVs will be of little use of their upscaling abilities are sub par. 8K, if it becomes any sort of standard, should be about ultimate quality - just as 4K should be really.

I doubt very much we’ll see any physical 8K. The industry is still too scared to drop DVD in case sales drop, but while they continue to let it be, it’s crippling the sales of HD and UHD.
Hopefully you are correct, I even have issues getting some 4k discs to play on either of my machines but I am putting that down to dodgey discs.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I think that it is unlikely that films in 8K will be sold in a physical format.

The technology is already here for CD sized optical disks to hold several 8K films in lossless format. But why do it. Micro SD cards now have the capacity to store an 8K film, and all you need is a moderately priced computer to feed a TV if you have the right connections. (Having a fairly dumb TV I have a Raspberry Pi stuck on its back to stream from anywhere on the web, though I have not used it for anything higher than HD.)

As others have mentioned there is no visual need go go beyond 4K for a TV in domestic situations. Maybe some videophiles would like to do it just because it can be done! An 8K computer monitor would be nice for detail and 'real estate'. (Current iMacs have 5K screens)

Personally, we have a large collection of old vinyl records, tapes, CDs, DVDs and BlueRay discs. Buy my wife and I have not played any of them in years. We stream HD music from Qobuz and video material from various sites. Much easier to use, and in the case of music, much better quality. I cannot imagine going back to buying or using recordings in physical format,

So, if people like me won't buy it, why would anyone try to sell it

Reactions: scene

scene

I can understand 8K video for projector setups using 10ft screens and larger, but it’s completely unnecessary for domestic TV screens. Better quality can be had using less compression, rather than a higher pixel count.

Agree with this, but I think that projector setups with 10ft+ screens are a bit of a niche market as far as consumer electronics go. A lot of people have, and will have screens big enough for 4K (+HDR of course) to make a difference, and with compression algorithms these can be fitted onto BluRay discs and streamed.

With more and more people streaming content from Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc. less and less players, and physical discs are being bought. Selling a physical disc only generates revenue once, and worse still (as far as the distributors are concerned), you can lend that disc around and they get no revenue... Having a streaming service is an on-going source of revenue, with pay-per-view options for newer movies on top. All of this suits the rights owners, and they all want a slice of the streaming pie (cf. Paramount...).

Upshot - 8K and above will be for niche markets and digital cinemas...

So yes, I think that 4K BluRays will be the last physical format I see.

Reactions: Al ears

WayneKerr

Agree with this, but I think that projector setups with 10ft+ screens are a bit of a niche market as far as consumer electronics go. A lot of people have, and will have screens big enough for 4K (+HDR of course) to make a difference, and with compression algorithms these can be fitted onto BluRay discs and streamed.

With more and more people streaming content from Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc. less and less players, and physical discs are being bought. Selling a physical disc only generates revenue once, and worse still (as far as the distributors are concerned), you can lend that disc around and they get no revenue... Having a streaming service is an on-going source of revenue, with pay-per-view options for newer movies on top. All of this suits the rights owners, and they all want a slice of the streaming pie (cf. Paramount...).

Upshot - 8K and above will be for niche markets and digital cinemas...

So yes, I think that 4K BluRays will be the last physical format I see.
Good to see you back Scene (y)

Reactions: scene and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts