DIY - is it OK to connect like this?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I need to connect pre-outs (stereo RCA) to a sub low level input (stereo RCA). Is it OK to do it this way:

- 2 to 1 Y connector (to combine 2 RCA plugs into 1 phono cable)
- then 1 single phono cable to sub
- then single RCA into one of the sub's RCA low level ins

Is it OK to load the pre outs like this?
Will the sub (RelQ100E) get the full signal this way?

A

Anonymous

can you not just run two cables?

I think i tried using a y splitter the same way and found one side was louder than the other.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
2 cables = double price (I need to cover 7 metres) and also more cables to run.
What do you mean by "one side" and "the other"? There will be only one sub in my case and the main L and R speakers will be fed from a different output.

A

Anonymous

I meant one side of the y connector will come through louder than the other, since they were designed to split not combine signals. That's what i found with my ones, but you may find differently.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What is the impedance output of your phono sockets? Idealy you should have appropriate series resistors on both combined outputs. There is a small chance you could damage the preamp stages as you will be also combining two OUTPUTS into each other. Not an elegant way to do it.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
proffski:What is the impedance output of your phono sockets? Idealy you should have appropriate series resistors on both combined outputs. There is a small chance you could damage the preamp stages as you will be also combining two OUTPUTS into each other. Not an elegant way to do it.

output impedance - see below from http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/files/documents/DAC1_HDR_Manual_RevC.pdf
series resistors in both combined outputs - do you mean resistors inside the pre-amp outputs or added into the Y-connector?
damge pre-amp stages - chance of damage by what?
not an elegant way - what does this mean - it is ether OK electrically or not (i.e. within normal mode/range of operation or not)

Unbalanced Analog Outputs
Number of Unbalanced Analog Outputs 2
Output Connector RCA
Output Impedance 30 Ohms
Analog Output Clip Point +13.5 dBu
Output Level Calibration Controls Shared with Balanced Outputs
Output Level Range (at 0 dBFS) In 'Calibrated' Mode -6 dBu to +13.5 dBu
Factory Set 'Calibrated' Output Level (at 0 dBFS) +8.5 dBu (2 Vrms)
Output Level Range (at 0 dBFS) In 'Variable' Mode Off to +11 dBu
Calibration Adjustability 2 dB / turn
Output Level Variation with Sample Rate (44.1 kHz vs.
96 kHz)
< +/- 0.006 dB

A

Anonymous

it seems like you will be connecting the two channels of the pre amp together and that night damage the pre amp, another problem is that you are joining the left and right channel and splitting them again and surely that will not be done correctly, i would search for a long stereo interconnect like the chord crimson or the qeds which are not too expensive, those will give a sure result.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar situation myself.

I have a REL Strata 5 sub that has a High level Neutrik connection to connect to your amp's speaker binding posts.
And it also has a single RCA Low level connection for connection from the LFE output on a surround amp.

My question is:

I want to connect the sub directly to a stereo pre amp.
So will have to feed the sub with a stereo L&R pair of interconnects from the pre outs on the pre amp.

Is there any way to implement this into the REL's connections?

Thanks

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts