DIY Dual Mono Power Amps

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
This project is stalled at the moment. The reason? I'm having difficulty with wiring the thing together to my satisfaction. The Faston connectors aren't giving me the nice and tight connections I'd like. I'd also like to get some better hookup wire....

A

Anonymous

I came across this forum whilst looking for a chassis for my own diy amp.

I've gone for the same kit as you from chipamp except that it will be a single toroidal/psu driving a pair of amps in a single case. I shall be adding a selector switch to choose from one of two sources and a volume control based on a stepped attenuator.

More of an integrated design rather than your two mono blocks but I can't wait to hear the result.

I like your idea of mounting everything on a raised alloy sheet. That means I can start the installation before my case arrives. The case I want is one where the two heat sinks are external and used as the sides of the case.

Why build my own amp? The one I have been using for the last 23 years (Harmon Kardon PM645 VXi) has finally failed. Having looked inside I was disappointed to see how much it actually cost in components against what I actually paid. Now that I only have CD and the odd iPod there seems little need for all the additional inputs so time to build something simpler, cleaner and with a darn sight better sound.

Regards

Nick.W

Messiah

Yes you should!
emotion-1.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. I'm looking at buying some mil spec, 99.9% silver, telfon coated hookup wire from the states. I have requested a quote from the seller for postage.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
idc:
Do you need any advice on cables?
emotion-4.gif

A UK source might be good....but navships is highly regarded as a seller of wire from DIY forums I read.

idc

So far my purchases have been from Maplins for the practice stuff and soldering kit and on ebay i-solder for other soldering stuff and Connect Audio and Compass Audio for wire and connectors.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. For the signal path I have splashed out on some 24AWG Silver Kapton Teflon Wire and for the power cables I've got some 20 AWG Silver Teflon Wire. Haven't spent as much on the power cables cos we all known that they don't make any difference ;-)

All purchased from JohnsWireShop.com run by navships.

A

Anonymous

Is this system running?

Can we have some more pics?

How does it sound?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
He recently bought an AVI Neutron 5 2.1 system with built-in DAC/preamp and it's own integral active sub.

I may be wrong, but I think PJPro hasn't been around much since then. (Not for about a month anyway.)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm still about and do intend to finish this project. However, for the last 9 months or so I've been working on my house. I've ripped out walls, floors, joists and ceiliings, stripped out the electrics and plumbing and am in the process of rebuilding it. At the moment there are no ceilings upstairs, so you can lie in bed looking at the roof! I'm trying to get into a position where I can install the ceilings and insulate the loft before the winter hits.

I still make the odd visit to the forum but rarely post.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Firstly I'd just like to say this project has been a joy to read through so far and I wish you the best of luck with it, can't wait to see the results..

I'm quite interested in doing something like this myself one day but I definately need to brush up on my electronics first as the next question will probably highlight..

Just to fly off at a complete tangent here but related to transformers..

During an audit at work on our resistance welding bay, the welder was warned against ever using the transformers at 100% capacity. The auditor explained something about if flux density is too high the core becomes saturated which is very bad and the thing goes bang. Scaling the scenario down from gert spot welding machines to your project, the transformers still operate the same in principle, could maxing out the transformers be a potential issue for you?

Also if anyone could explain what exactly happens when the transformer becomes saturated in lay-mans terms that would quite interesting..

Bit of a random question but loosely relevant here I feel?

*After brushing up on Ferromagnetism I can now answer my own question, still though, are you in any danger of saturating the transformers in your project? Would be pretty nasty if they went bang :cry: *

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just read through this thread after almost 4 years since my last entry. I haven't touched the project since then and probaly won't for a while (still busy on the house). Pity. It was coming along so well :(

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Not sure my wife and family would be amused if I started playing around with electronics.....we haven;t had a front room for two years! Once the house is in better shape, then I'll consider it unfinished business :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts