Distortion near end of record

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
leftfield said:
As an aside other than keeping the arm square what other purpose does the screw serve? I ask as since it has gone missing the arm will no longer lower to the platter and with any weight or anti skate the arm pulls away from the spindle before it could be lowered. Have I moved something accidentally?

Dont know the arm so cant help.

CJSF

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
chebby said:
Get your torch (preferably a good LED one) and get down on the floor with it (side of head actually on the floor). Now shine the beam of the torch along the floor and look along the beam. Even small things will show up quite well this way. Of course if it's carpeted you're b#####ed!

Well, not quite b#####ed. Cut off a length of ladies tights so you have a 'sock'. Feed that into your vacuum cleaner tube with the open end of the 'sock' overlapping the end of the tube. Now put your carpet attachment on the end of the tube so that the end of the sock is clamped in place.

Vacuum the entire floor. Now turn tights 'sock' inside-out and empty contents into a bowl or a bucket. The little screw will have - hopefully - got trapped in this rather than disappear into dust bag. (Assuming it was there in the first place.)

Chebby I'm going to try this in the morning, but if my wife asks where her tights have gone mmmmms the word!!!

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Well I've vacuumed the downstairs of the house with the new 'filter' and like a prospector I trawled through the dirt but alas no azimuth screw. On the plus side mrs l is impressed with my domestic skills and I hope projects customer service is as good as bowers and Wilkins. Thanks for all the tips.

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Big thumbs up to Henley Designs. Dropped them an email as a project retailer on Sunday afternoon regarding a replacement azimuth screw. Had a reply that evening advising to ring Monday morning. I did just that explained my predicament and within a few hours had a phone call saying they'd found one and would pop it in the post, free of charge. Following day said screw arrived with a compliment slip. I'm the first to bemoan poor customer service but this was excellent. Won't be the last time I deal with them. Well done Henley.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
leftfield said:
Big thumbs up to Henley Designs. Dropped them an email as a project retailer on Sunday afternoon regarding a replacement azimuth screw. Had a reply that evening advising to ring Monday morning. I did just that explained my predicament and within a few hours had a phone call saying they'd found one and would pop it in the post, free of charge. Following day said screw arrived with a compliment slip. I'm the first to bemoan poor customer service but this was excellent. Won't be the last time I deal with them. Well done Henley.

Well that was nice to read, thanks for the positive feedback.

There is a thing called end of groove distortion and it's primarily caused because the master records were cut at right angles to the record groove (similar to using a linear tracking arm) but most players (due to cost) use an arm that is located to the side of the record (called tangental). This results in fine tracking at the outside of the record but mis reading of the groove toward the centre of the record. Whilst you can never correct this totally, the aim is to achieve a happy medium where tracking is "as best as possible" at both inner and outer sections of the record. We have a guide to setup which would apply to most record players on our site and a link follows, I hope you find it useful.

https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/WebsiteTurntableSupportPDF.pdf

TRENDING THREADS