New QAcoustics 2020i problem - distortion / rasp

RocketBeard

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here, please forgive my first post being a question / issue!

Today I took delivery of a pair of QAcoustics 2020i and QED XT cables with Airloc plugs. After set up I was immediatley aware of something being wrong and quickly realised that the left speaker was distorting on the higher frequencies. So far I've only tested with some modern latin funk records and the distortion is most obvious when trumpets are playing. This is when testing at a moderate volume i.e. 1/4 of the dial so it's certainly nothing to do with volume level and the right speaker sounds just fine.

My Airloc plugs don't seem to sit particularly securely in the speaker terminals (they only fit in a little way and are very 'wobbly' once in) I thought ths might be the issue but I've just looked online and from some images I've found it seems this is just the way these plugs fit into these speakers so I'm less convinced the problem lies here.

I have yet to switch the speakers over to make sure it is the speaker that has the problem (the girlfriend has put Strictly on for the night so no chance of getting anywhere near the HiFi again this evening) but I wanted to post here to see if this is maybe a common fault, or something that occurs regularly with HiFi speakers. I've been using the same pair of Mission 70's for around 10 years now, this is my first speaker upgrade.

Tested using:

Marrantz PM5004 amplifier
Pro-Ject Debut turntable
QED XT speaker cables w/ airloc plugs

RocketBeard

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

When I finally got back in front of the HiFi I auditioned a few more records and the initial distortion doesn't seem to be present. I'm hoping it was just on the recording, however I did fiddle around with the terminals for quite a while between tests.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts