Difficult search for speakers for rock and metal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
loneranger said:
Will be the Epos K2 with my NAD C356 good for rock and metal? Maybe the Kef R300 too boring and flat sounding from what i read elsewhere?

Perhaps try Mission. Traditionally voiced by IAG/Pj.Comeau for rock etc

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
JBL is the ultimate brand for rock, blues and jazz, with pedigree to boot. That 12" aquaplas driver makes snare drums come alive. I have no idea what Monitor Audio and Epos represent in hi-fi. Noise making furniture. Only (poor) substitute for JBL would be maybe KEF.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The dealer who has Epos also has the Tannoy XT6F. I can also listen to the Tannoy.

Indeed, MA sounded bad with metal.

I see on the site of JBL maybe 2 interesting models; the Studio 270 and the Arena 170. It's a brand where i can order the speakers and if dislike it can returns without costs

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying you can't diss a whole brand like JBL and be a rock fan. Of course they also make rubbish speakers in the budget range occasionaly like every big brand. But oh man their Synthesis range is so good, the LS80 blew me away. Even the little JBL Studio 530 can kick some butt and take names.

Any speaker or amplifier you buy will impress you for few months at best and then the honeymoon is over. Your brain gets accustomed to the character and only thing that remains is pride of ownership, the heritage of the brand, the DNA. For the true rock fan there is no company that can compare to JBL in this respect.

PS The Arena's are designed to pair with a sub in a 5.1 HT setup. They are thus light on the bass.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Since it was recently discontinued they can be found for almost half the price (2400 euros originally). They are big to some but to me it seemed normal, as floorstanders should be, with the tweeter at ear height when I sit down on a sofa. Now these DD55000 Everest really justify their name.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Such big speaker as the JBL ls80 must be suitable for your room. I think you must have a very big room and it must be a long distance from the walls. There is also a ls 60. What i dislike on JBL is that it is not smooth sounding. A little like Klipsch, what is horrible for me.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm not very tall, 188cm. But when I see modern thin floorstanders shorter than 1m I am a bit baffled by the format. "Are these the kid's version?" On a chair the tweeters are singing at my belly and when I sit on a sofa, my chest at best. This with spikes mind you. I can tolerate this with standmounts somewhat but floorstanders definetly not. My definition of a floorstander is 1m tall + 20kg per speaker minimum.

But they must be popular in Japan where they sit on tatamis with their legs under kotatsus to warm up from the cold and harsh MA reproduction of j-metal.

You're baffled because you don't live in the UK where many of these are made. UK rooms are on average the smallest in Europe, (and likely consequently the developed world) I think I've already told you this, so very large speakers will have a more limited sales base than smaller one's. Yes a larger speaker can work in a small room but you have to consider the wife factor and convenience of having a speaker 3 feet into and already small room.

Since the room/speaker interplay is the biggest issue in getting good sound from HiFi, picking a speaker that suits your room is of far greater importance of picking one that suits your dreams.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
You're baffled because you don't live in the UK where many of these are made. UK rooms are on average the smallest in Europe, (and likely consequently the developed world) I think I've already told you this, so very large speakers will have a more limited sales base than smaller one's. Yes a larger speaker can work in a small room but you have to consider the wife factor and convenience of having a speaker 3 feet into and already small room.

Since the room/speaker interplay is the biggest issue in getting good sound from HiFi, picking a speaker that suits your room is of far greater importance of picking one that suits your dreams.

The OP is in The Netherlands. No idea what sizes they have there but nevertheless loneranger insists on small footprint.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
You got me interested now the JBLs Ls80s I seeing sell for £2400 for the pair now as much as I like floor standing speakers I can not have them at this time as I have a 5 year old who would love to make holes in them if she could that's way I have my speaker on brackets high up lol but you have got me interested if JBL make a book shelf version that is just as good ? I would change mine but got a feeling you need floor standing speakers to get the grunt of metal music ? Or can you think of someone who does make a good bookshelf speakers that will do the same job

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
You got me interested now the JBLs Ls80s I seeing sell for £2400 for the pair now as much as I like floor standing speakers I can not have them at this time as I have a 5 year old who would love to make holes in them if she could that's way I have my speaker on brackets high up lol but you have got me interested if JBL make a book shelf version that is just as good ? I would change mine but got a feeling you need floor standing speakers to get the grunt of metal music ? Or can you think of someone who does make a good bookshelf speakers that will do the same job

LS80s are still domesticated cats. Now these... JBL 4429 or 4425... a different animal.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
loneranger said:
Have anyone experiences with these speakers for rock and metal?:

My amp NAD C356BEE

klipsch. IMHO best speakers for your music. They are very sensitive at 95db and you will love it.

You could get RB-61 if you look for bookshelf or RF-62 if you look for floorstanders.

They also will match very well with your amp.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok thanks will take a look .. But I might be changing my amp and and my speakers at the same time so I can get the sound right so will be looking to upgrade both . The speakers need to be right for me as I like detail, warm sound but not to bright or to natural sounding also fast pace.and good sound stage and also a amp that will do justice to the speakers . I would like floor standing but got the issue with my little one so for now I would have to get ones that I can put on speaker brackets so the speakers are out of harms reach which is a bummer . But I will look up some of the speakers that have been mentioned so far and then road test them in a demo room . Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts