Difficult search for speakers for rock and metal

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'am 51 years old and living in the Netherlands. I'am searching for speakers for my music, rock and metal. Things changed and here in Holland are less hifi dealers than when i was young..... Speakers also changed, but for me also not good. With my music many speakers sound shrill and bright or isn't fun listen to it (B&W). After heard many speakers from Focal to B&W i have a top 3. Have anyone experiences with these speakers for rock and metal?:

Kef R300

Monitor Audio Silver 6

Epos K2

My amp NAD C356BEE.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Why not try Q acuostics 3050 speakers they are really great speakers at £500 super deep but detailed bass Amazing midrange and a top end thats neither shrill or bright.

I think these would sound great with rock and metal.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps MA's bronze series is more orientated towards your genres? According to MA themselves, you gain refinement and insight the higher you go and sensitivity tends to be lower, which makes sense.

They have just launched a new bronze 5 and it reviewed very well (looks better too imo). Save some money perhaps?

rainsoothe

hi - heard the Epos K1 and I found them a bit harsh - maybe they were not burnt in or something, but wasn't my cup of tea. The Kef R300 and Monitor Audio Silver 6 seem like good candidates, so try to audition them. Maybe Neat Motive SX2.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
loneranger said:
Maybe the bronze 5 is interesting. I will listen to it. Do you have a test? What are they saying? Strong points, weak points

' ... powers of resolution and capacity to dig deep into a recording ... mesmerising ... good at late evening volume ... whack up the volume and the impetus and impact grows with no loss of grip and precision ... neither does it resort to artificial midrange emphasis or treble lift ... solid, rythmic bass and rocksolid images etc etc' David Vivian HifiChoice October 2015

Like: Great style and build, sounds like a much more expensive loudspeaker. Dislike: Nothing at the price. We say: An exceptionally fine baby floorstander and an absolute steal at the price

The review was not accompanied by measurements.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The dealer has also Neat, so i can hear it. But i have no Naim amp.

At this moment MA seems very interesting. I like how MA is made and finished.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Listening to metal through knee-high budget MA floorstanders is my idea of audio hell.
hide.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not very tall, 188cm. But when I see modern thin floorstanders shorter than 1m I am a bit baffled by the format. "Are these the kid's version?" On a chair the tweeters are singing at my belly and when I sit on a sofa, my chest at best. This with spikes mind you. I can tolerate this with standmounts somewhat but floorstanders definetly not. My definition of a floorstander is 1m tall + 20kg per speaker minimum.

But they must be popular in Japan where they sit on tatamis with their legs under kotatsus to warm up from the cold and harsh MA reproduction of j-metal.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
loneranger said:
Hello,

I'am 51 years old and living in the Netherlands. I'am searching for speakers for my music, rock and metal. Things changed and here in Holland are less hifi dealers than when i was young..... Speakers also changed, but for me also not good. With my music many speakers sound shrill and bright or isn't fun listen to it (B&W). After heard many speakers from Focal to B&W i have a top 3. Have anyone experiences with these speakers for rock and metal?:

Kef R300

Monitor Audio Silver 6

Epos K2

My amp NAD C356BEE.

Hi I like my metal as well as classic rock have you thought about trying dail range I am using dail 3 and they sound good with metal plus some people add a sub to give more meat to the music as well

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
loneranger said:
nonsense. I've heard bookshelf speakers who sounded better then speakers 1m. tall.

I'm sure you have but that is missing the point. Just like the MA Bronze grating drivers are missing my ears.

Vladimir said:
I'm not very tall, 188cm. But when I see modern thin floorstanders shorter than 1m I am a bit baffled by the format. "Are these the kid's version?" On a chair the tweeters are singing at my belly and when I sit on a sofa, my chest at best. This with spikes mind you. I can tolerate this with standmounts somewhat but floorstanders definetly not. My definition of a floorstander is 1m tall + 20kg per speaker minimum.

But they must be popular in Japan where they sit on tatamis with their legs under kotatsus to warm up from the cold and harsh MA reproduction of j-metal.

:)

TRENDING THREADS