Difficult search for speakers for rock and metal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If they are not furniture it doesn't mean they are 'disco speakers'.
20130718194023_skype-facepalm.gif

02.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok thanks will take a look .. But I might be changing my amp and and my speakers at the same time so I can get the sound right so will be looking to upgrade both . The speakers need to be right for me as I like detail, warm sound but not to bright or to natural sounding also fast pace.and good sound stage and also a amp that will do justice to the speakers . I would like floor standing but got the issue with my little one so for now I would have to get ones that I can put on speaker brackets so the speakers are out of harms reach which is a bummer . But I will look up some of the speakers that have been mentioned so far and then road test them in a demo room . Thanks

This is not going to be easy :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What about old school JBLs any good ? As there are some big ones on eBay . Like L50s and some other ones but they are really old school and some are 2 way , 3 way ones but do not want booming bass as it does my head in

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Dynaudio: Too neutral, analytic for rock ans metal. No fun; it doesn't alive. But worse; Dynaudio let you painfull hear how bad the records is. And everybody knows; rock and metal aren't good recordings. For rock and metal you must have a "forgiving"and very musical speaker with good bass extension.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
loneranger said:
Vladimir said:
bluebrazil said:
check em out, local to you and the standmounters can rock

The Dynaudio Confidence C1 especially.

Dynaudio and rock/metal is a NoGo!

Maybe the Kef R500 with NAD C356.

Please explain.

Rock and metal fans who don't like JBL and Dynaudio. We must be stuck in the twilight zone.

We are stuck somewhere and it certainly isn't reality. I really do fail to see the point of assigning a speaker to a certain genre of music. A tad pointless. I know quite a few people who own big JBL's and Tannoys...... and they are predominantly classical music fanatics.

loneranger said:
Dynaudio: Too neutral, analytic for rock ans metal. No fun; it doesn't alive. But worse; Dynaudio let you painfull hear how bad the records is. And everybody knows; rock and metal aren't good recordings. For rock and metal you must have a "forgiving"and very musical speaker with good bass extension.

I can only say we would appear to disagree here.

However, we are all free to express our thoughts here.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
loneranger said:
Vladimir said:
bluebrazil said:
check em out, local to you and the standmounters can rock

The Dynaudio Confidence C1 especially.

Dynaudio and rock/metal is a NoGo!

Maybe the Kef R500 with NAD C356.

Please explain.

Rock and metal fans who don't like JBL and Dynaudio. We must be stuck in the twilight zone.

We are stuck somewhere and it certainly isn't reality. I really do fail to see the point of assigning a speaker to a certain genre of music. A tad pointless. I know quite a few people who own big JBL's and Tannoys...... and they are predominantly classical music fanatics.

Never read about the East Coast vs West Coast rivalry between JBL and AR?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Never read about the East Coast vs West Coast rivalry between JBL and AR?

I would have to be east coast then. Ed Vilchur and his springy turntables and speakers. (I had a pair of AR18s, as a youth, and they were magical little things.)

Besides, i'm not into pool parties or west coast music of the era.

Then there was Peter Snell and those Snell Type Ks. I am currently saving/lusting for a pair of their successors in the shape of the Audio-Note AN-Ks.

So, yeah, East Coast again.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've owned ARs and JBLs. I embrace both concepts as part of our audio heritage. I feel like without that culture I would be merely buying furniture grade appliances.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Pmc twenty range...metal,jazz,blues,acoustic,classical ,they'll play anything very well indeed.
just had a look at them stand mount speakers look nice but more then i wish to pay as they are nearly £2000 . my budget would be £1000 at most unless i get a pair secondhand

You can pick up a pair of ex dem twenty 21 for not much more than £1000,buy they really need an amp with good grip (not so much big watts)and power, as in supply and current for them to give a decent account of themselves.Don't be fooled by the diminutive dimensions,these things rock with none of that lumpy boomy bass your not very fond of,Sabbath is a breaze for these monitors and I'm known to also blast a wee bit of machine head from time to time and they take it all in there stride.oh!and obviously room size is important for this type of speaker,my room is around 20m2(4x5)firing across the shorter side of the room and out a little from the wall.19 cm to be exact.lol.

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Pmc twenty range...metal,jazz,blues,acoustic,classical ,they'll play anything very well indeed.
just had a look at them stand mount speakers look nice but more then i wish to pay as they are nearly £2000 . my budget would be £1000 at most unless i get a pair secondhand

In that case then also consider PMC DB1's too, (have you got a PMC dealer near you ?). Got mine in a room 3mx4m and they are more than enough for me; they don't do physical/visceral bass, but what bass there is is tight and punchy. However, our music tastes differ - I'm more into vocals, (female); the nearest I've got in my music collection to metal would be Chicago, Foreigner or The Eagles *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

In that case then also consider PMC DB1's too, (have you got a PMC dealer near you ?). Got mine in a room 3mx4m and they are more than enough for me; they don't do physical/visceral bass, but what bass there is is tight and punchy. However, our music tastes differ - I'm more into vocals, (female); the nearest I've got in my music collection to metal would be Chicago, Foreigner or The Eagles *smile*
my room is 7 meters long and 3 meters wide i also will change the amp at the same time so i can get a good match for the speakers that i get at the time of buying but thanks for the things to look at when i demo

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
And also the Kef R300 and R500 is out! Listen to them and expecially the R300 sounds dull. Both speakers are for rock and metal not dynamic.

The dealer was agree with me that most modern speakers sounded horrible with rock and metal. Speakers are too bright with shrill tweeters. He gave the advise to look at speakers with soft dome tweeters. No metaldome! Also look at old B&W and Kef from the 80's.

Next week ik hope listen to the Epos K3.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
yes have heard that before i am happy to buy older speakers from the 80s as long as i can get a well looked after pair plus they sell for peanuts so do not mind taking a risk in just buying some . so b&ws are you saying that are good for the job ? but do not want boomers lol as it does my head in .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
loneranger said:
And also the Kef R300 and R500 is out! Listen to them and expecially the R300 sounds dull. Both speakers are for rock and metal not dynamic.

The dealer was agree with me that most modern speakers sounded horrible with rock and metal. Speakers are too bright with shrill tweeters. He gave the advise to look at speakers with soft dome tweeters. No metaldome! Also look at old B&W and Kef from the 80's.

Next week ik hope listen to the Epos K3.
This is simply not my experience.

Hifi is rife with generalizations.

Any speaker can be made sound horrible with the wrong amp and sound great with the right amplification.

There is a good chance that if the R300/500 sounded dull, they weren't paired with an amp that had enough current to control them properly.

If a speaker sounds too bright with one brand or amp topology, then there are other options that will reign in this trait. It is a lazy answer (from the dealer), to say that most modern speakers are bright....it just means the dealer doesn't stock products that will match them properly.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
@Blacksabbath25

If your room is 7x3, if possible you should place your speakers along the long wall for best sound. You'll have to go with front ported or infinite baffle small standmounts. No big speakers for you Ozzy.

@loneranger

The material used in the tweeter has nothing to do with how the speakers are voiced. You will find plenty of harsh and shrill sounding silk dome tweeters. If the metal dome tweeter is well designed for the application (not cut too low in the midrange or ringing bellow 20kHz) you will not have any issues.

The first generation of B&W CM series all had metal dome tweeter and they all sounded warm, smooth, even dull. However, the next generation that came out was voiced to be brighter and thus harsh with bad recordings. People prefer it while buying, considering it as more details, airy sound etc. In everyday use while playing bad recordings at their homes they will eventually change their minds.
hello yes i do have my current speakers on the long back wall and towed in and my speakers are back ported and they are not on stands as i have a little one so they have to be that way for now an till she older . but i do know that floor standing speakers are normaly the way to go but inpossable with my little one . all so heavy metal is not just what i listen too i can go the other end and listen to classic music as well so i guess most speakers are all rounders anyway .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@Blacksabbath25

If your room is 7x3, if possible you should place your speakers along the long wall for best sound. You'll have to go with front ported or infinite baffle small standmounts. No big speakers for you Ozzy.

@loneranger

The material used in the tweeter has nothing to do with how the speakers are voiced. You will find plenty of harsh and shrill sounding silk dome tweeters. If the metal dome tweeter is well designed for the application (not cut too low in the midrange or ringing bellow 20kHz) you will not have any issues.

The first generation of B&W CM series all had metal dome tweeter and they all sounded warm, smooth, even dull. However, the next generation that came out was voiced to be brighter and thus harsh with bad recordings. People prefer it while buying, considering it as more details, presence, airy sound etc. In everyday use while playing bad recordings at their homes they will eventually change their minds.

+ The KEF speakers you auditioned had metal dome tweeters and you found those too mellow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts