Denon DVD-2500BT - Clare / Andrew

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just read your news section about the long anticipated Denon transport and have a couple of questions. They might be a bit techy considering you haven't actually got hold of one though. It would appear from the US specs that I've seen that this player should be an ideal partner for my Onkyo 875 amp. Obviously the amp can do all of the HD sound decoding (I assume that all BD's are encoded the same so bitstream can always be sent to the amp, unless it's a pcm lossless soundtrack in which case there isn't any decoding to do). I also guess that director's commentary's in PIP won't be in an HD audio format, but I doubt that will be an issue for many. It's the lack of high quality video processing in the Denon that I don't quite understand. Does the Onkyo automatically send all incoming video sources through it's HQV circuitry or does it need to do the scaling for this chipset to be active? (ie, if scaling is set to "through" does it bypass this HQV chipset?) I'd also be partnering these bits of kit with the Pioneer 428XD which as you know is 720p native resolution, so I guess the ideal scenario would be that the 2500BT would send blu-ray out at 1080P/24fps, go through the Onkyo HQV video circuits and get downscaled to 720p. And if watching a dvd it would do the same, only the Onkyo would upscale to 720p. If the Onkyo can do all of the this then Denon have got it spot on. Why pay for high quality chipsets and decoding capability twice. And as for profile 2.0. I really can't see what all the fuss is about. Surely you buy a dvd or blu-ray disc to watch a movie. If you want to play games or see interactive features then surely a playstation or the internet is the place to be.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In theory the Denon/Onkyo combo should do exactly what you suggest.

But we'll obviously be testing that out when we get our hands on the DVD-2500BT, when it'll be hooked up to a range of receivers (including, hopefully at the same stage, Denon's own video-processing equipped receivers).

TRENDING THREADS