Denon DM37 Hum through headphone socket, is yours totally silent?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had this system a while now and am fairly happy with it and seem to have got use to the volume increments, but what really annoys me still is that more often than not you can hear a slight mains hum via the headphone socket, sometimes there is no hum at all, I have mentioned this before a while back on this forum, moving the jack plug can alter the amount of hum, but sometimes it just comes back by itself after being silent for a while

I know from this forum that other people have had the same problem but will there be units out there which have no hum at all?

Surely there should be no noticeable hum on a system designed by Denon and am sure that some even cheaper systems would have no headphone hum problems, if I was to send it back could the problem be resolved, as I bought in from John Lewis could they change it although I have had it for about 5 month's? (I have a 2 year warranty with John Lewis)

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Garyjos,

Yeah, I remember this coming up previously. I did some some extensive headphone listening then, and detected absolutely nothing in the way of hum. Are you hearing it as a background noise behind the music, or in between tracks, or something?

If it is a mains borne hum then you'll probably notice it most if you select something like cd, without a cd in the slot, and crank the volume up. You should hear silence, but if there is hum and it increases with volume then its fair to say its coming from the mains. Other than that I couldn't really say. Having said that though, I would expect your speakers to demonstrate the hum as well by doing that test. A conditioner (i.e. Tacima) may well help if this is the case. If you already use one then try removing it and see if there is any difference.

Had mine about a year now and found absolutely nothing untoward with it at all.

Idea - pop into John Lewis or HiFi retailer, ask for a demo, then whip out your headphones and try it out with that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts