Denon AVR2310 TV input problem

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
This will seem an odd question, but I'm hoping someone can help me. Basically I'm having trouble getting sound out through the TV (and thus through the Denon)!!
I have a old Panasonic TH42PX60 TV. This obviously has a HDMI output, which is connected to the 'monitor' input on the Denon. The Denon, for a reason I can't fathom does NOT have any 'TV' specific analogue inputs!! (why is this!) They only input for any TV sound is a digital TV optical input. This seems silly to me, but I thought, no problem I'll use one of the other analogue inputs on the back - in this case the 'SAT/CBL' input.
I have set the 'Quick Select 2' to remember the SAT/CBL input, the 'surround mode' (NEO 6 cinema) and the volume so when I turn on my TV the sound will come out. This works fine.
However, whenever I turn my TV on and the amp (even pressing Quick Select 2) the amp will first select SAT/CBL and then switch to the 'TV' input (once the TV is on) that obviously has no signal going to it! So I have to select Quick Select 2 again on the remote!!
I can not for the life of me stop it from doing this! I have tried turning on the HDMI Control function on both the amp and the TV, and I've tried turning this off! If it's off, the input stays at SAT/CBL, but the TV will (despite being told to turn on to the DVB channels) then change its input to the AV - or the Denon screen - showing the input etc, so I then have to press the AV button on the remote to go back to TV (DVB) mode!!?
This can't be right surely!? I want to turn my TV on and for the Denon to select SAT/CBL input and for the sound to be there - not have to re-select an input that I had already asked for!! Ideally I'd like to turn my TV on and for the amp to come on with the correct input (obviously if both are on standby) and I thought the 'HDMI control' functions on the amp and tv should do this - but they don't!!
So just getting the TV to stay on DVB channels and for the amp to stay on SAT/CBL input would be a good start!!
Any ideas??
Thanks

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem with the amp changing itself to 'TV' when the tv was turned on...

Turning HDMI control off certainly fixed this problem.

The only thing I can think of is that your tv is detecting the input through the HDMI when you turn the amp on, and thus automatically changing to the av channel. I don't know that tv, but I imagine there must be a setting on the tv that turns this auto detection off?

Hope this helps
emotion-1.gif

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi PJ,

i'm a little confused. Is the HDMI cable coming out of the monitor output on the back of the Denon and into the input on the back of the TV? I can't remember seeing a TV with a HDMI output...

If you want to send audio out of your TV and into the Denon than you'll have to use the TV's optical digital output or the analogue audio output on the back of the set. I can't remember off the top of my head, but you might have to change the sound output in the Panasonic's menus too, so that sound is output over optical or analogue instead of using the TV's built-in speakers...

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Andy - thanks
Yes the HDMI is coming out of the output of the Denon (monitor) and into the input on the TV. The TV (from looking at the manual) has two HDMI inputs and I assume it's using the HDMI 1 input (not that it matters). I say I assume as I the TV is up on the wall and the cables were all sent through the wall cavity.
The TV does not have an optical output and this is the problem. The Denon only has an optical input for the 'TV'. There is no TV assigned analogue inputs on the back of the Denon. As such I'm using the SAT/CBL input.
I thought I had it last night! I some how managed to fiddle around in the input assignments on Denon's menu and had the HDMI control 'ON' for both the amp and the TV. I could turn off the amp when I put the TV into standby. Also - selecting the 'Home Cinema' speakers via the Panna's menu setting allowed me to access the volume controls of the Denon. All seemed to work fine - but then (after touching nothing) it didn't work when I tested it again before I went to bed! Very frustrating!! I may have sorted it again, but who knows!!?!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Steeps - I'll check the sound menu on the TV later - as that is the only thing I can think of!? As with most Panasonic TVs there is a Picture, Sound and Settings menu and I've been in the Settings menu fiddling with the HDMI Control option (on or off!)

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
PJ1200 - I have a Panasonic G10 with the Denon 2310. I'm sure your TV won't be too different.

It doesn't matter that your TV doesn't have an optical audio output. Just use your analogue audio connections into the Denon, and then assign that input on the Denon for use with the TV.

When set-up correctly (on my Panasonic anyway) with HDMI control set on on both TV and Denon, the TV remote can be used to switch the TV on. Once the TV has started, the TV then switches the Denon on, and then the TV switches the Denon to select the correct audio input for the TV. Many of the TV remote buttons will also control the Denon for mute, volume etc over HDMI.

I think your issue is with the TV, not the Denon. On my Panasonic G10, there is an option under the TV set-up menu to select the source (TV or AV) once the TV has started up. If incorrectly set to AV, the TV's HDMI control will switch on the Denon, then changes it's input to AV... the Denon then selects the last used input (or a pre-set one if you've told it too under the Denons set-up options), in your case SAT/CAB. The Denon then senses an input from the TV and switches the input back to TV... the TV then switches it back to AV... and so it goes in a permanent loop. This constant input switching between AV and TV will continue indefinitely until you then select a definite input either on the TV or Denon. Sound familiar? If so, try and find the "Power on Preference" under the set-up menu on your Panasonic, and set that to "TV" and not "AV".

On my Panasonic, the menu selections from the Main Menu which shows "Picture, Sound and Set-Up Options" are:

SETUP
OTHER SETTINGS
POWER ON PREFERENCE - and set to "TV" (not "AV").

If everything else has been set correctly (HDMI "on", audio input assignment, etc), that should stop the erratic switching, but let me know if it doesn't.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers wireman.
When you say assign the inputs do you mean as I have already - so using the SAT/CBL input for the TV sound? Last night I renamed that input to 'TV'.
I also 'deleted' the TV input from the options menu - hoping it may have an affect on all the switching that seems to happen.
I also checked the TV menu to see what the 'Power on preference' was - and it is indeed 'TV'. So all seems fine.
I think I've pretty much cracked it now. The Denon stays on the now new 'TV' input (the old SAT/CBL input) and the TV stays on the DVB channels as it should.
Only issue now is that the 'Home Cinema' setting on the TV (that allows me to control the volume on the amp via the TV remote and turn the amp off with the TV via the standby buttom does not automatically default to that setting!? So when I turn the TV on (and if I want to control the volume using the TV remote) I have to press the menu button the TV remote and 'access' the 'Home Cinema' setting from the menu. Not a major problem but seems odd!?
Any ideas?

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes, when I've been messing around with the HDMI?input control on the Denon, the TV reverts from "Home Cinema" to "TV" setting. But once the HDMI/input options are set, I find the TV will stay on the correct setting thereafter. Hopefully, that may be the same for you now you seem to have the HDMI/input options sorted.

Although you seem to have largely overcome your problems, I also forgot to mention that, alternatively, you could have bought a small adaptor that converts the analogue audio signal into either optical or coaxial, and used the original "TV" digital input(s) on your Denon for the audio. They're not much bigger than a matchbox in size and cost about £30. It's another option for older screens that don't have a digital audio output.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers again wireman - appreciate your help.
We'll see how the settings behave themselves going forward, but it's only a small issue. I'm just happy that when I turn everything on - it's on the right inputs/tv mode!! Simple things eh!?
I thought you might be able to get such a converter and I may purchase one. Thanks
PJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts