Denon AVR 1910 and BT Vision

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have my BT Vision box connected to the 1910 via HDMI cable and optical digital cable (not sure I need both but I read somewhere this is the best setup).

When watching programs from the BT Vision box (to get surround sound) I have tried PLII, Neo 6 and 5 channel stereo modes. None of these sound ideal.

The 5 channel stereo seems to put out the same signal to all 5 speakers and with the PLII and Neo6 the rear speakers produce a lot of sibilance / squeeking!

Have I got things set up correctly?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I have no experience of BT Vision so don't know if the extra optical cable is required or if it can pass DD5.1 over HDMI. Hopefully a fellow BT Vision owner can chime in with the answer.

If you can hear the squeaking/scrambled noises on DPL II/DTS Neo:6 you're sitting too close to the rear speakers. It might be worth re-doing the calibration though. These strange noises are normal though as the amp is basically guessing where to put the sounds and the audio is matrixed from a 2.0 channel stereo signal.

I use DTS:Neo6 for basic TV viewing and it does the job. Obviously, it's not the same as true discrete multichannel surround sound such as Dolby Digital or DTS. Presumably you get DD5.1 from movies and sports?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The BT Vision self-install manual - which is useless for all but the most basic set-up, BTW - seems to suggest the box passes 5.1 over the HDMI.

Heystak, how have you got the 1910 configured? To take sound from the HDMI on whichever input the BTV is connected, or to override and take sound from the optical?

Whichever, I'd expect the receiver to auto-detect the incoming audio format and set itself accordingly. Could just be you're not watching any 5.1-encoded material, and the receiver is struggling to sort out the sound using PLII or Neo:6.

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4, I cannot hear the odd noises from the rear speakers when sat in normal listening positions - I can only hear them close up. I just thought it didn't sound right so asked the question.

Andrew, the 1910 is configured so that BTVision is assigned to one of the HDMI inputs and also to one of the digital inputs (see below whcih I picked up on another site). As you say, maybe its just the non 5.1 material thats difficult to sort out.

"Dolby Digital (5.1 Surround Sound)
BTVision> Settings> General Settings> Digital Audio Output
The digital audio output (SP-DIF) from the VBox can now be set to either Stereo or 5.1 Surround Sound to match the audio device you are connecting to.

The default setting is stereo and surround sound will only work via this optical connection. If you set the surround sound option the audio output over the HD cable is disabled. You can use surround sound and SCART at the same time for a normal screen. +Dolby Digital 5.1 audio is currently only available on our HD content - normal VOD and freeview content is in stereo."

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In which case I'd stick to PLIIx Music and adjust the centre width, panorama and dimension controls to suit your tastes.

It's how I run my set-up for stereo TV programmes, and with a bit of adjustment it can give a very good result, with just a bit of ambience from the rear speakers and good centre focus and stereo imaging.

This page explains a bit more...

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
all you need is a hdmi cable for connection, we have bt vision.

running through an onkyo 507, the vision box also outputs 1080, go into settings and you can change it.

if you go into films on demand,and search for hd there is a free dolby clip that you can down load, tests all speakers are working and a brief clip from stomp with dolby 5.1.

you will only get get dolby 5.1 on hd films that you down load, best of luck on that, it takes over night to down load them and then there stored on the hard drive ready to view.

on normal tv we find pro logic II sounds the best....hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS