Denon 2310, Kef 2005.3 and Pure Direct

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ya!

I have recently purchased the Denon AVR2310 and KEf 2005.3 and am going round in circles with the various sound settings.

I have tried using the pure direct mode when listening to blu rays as I have seen suggested, and I agree it does seem clearer, escpecially with dialog. However I have read that when using Pure Direct the amp changes the speaker settings so that they are all 'large'. The Kef's came with a warning saying the speakers must be set "as small in the bass management menu". If I use Pre Direct am I at risk of damaging the speakers?

Also when using the Direct modes, the sub is working but it is much quieter than when using say Dolby TueHD. Is this because it is expecting the speakers to be out putting more bass than they perhaps are? Should I adjust the crossover frequency to compensate?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I'm new to this and I'm worried that after all this time saving up I'm going to damage my shiny new equipment!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ian

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I think modes like pure direct usually get rid of the bass management, so it will send all the frequencies to your main speakers.

Small speakers can't handle low frequencies, (which is probably why it's quiet), and I believe can damage them, (if lower than the speaker's rating).

I think the direct modes are more for music than HD film audio.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
This is correct. Use Pure Direct for listening to music in stereo - you may or may not prefer it. However, it is not for movie or TV listening, when you want the amp to decode the incoming signal and put out glorious surround sound, taking account of your original set up procedure.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys! Thank you for your replies.

Thanks for the advice, I shall stick with the normal modes for TV and films.

I found that when I wasn't using the Direct modes the sound was quite 'basey' and maybe not quite as clear. I have turned down the sub volume (the dial on the back of the sub itself) which has helped but is the crossover frequency something I should try adjusting? Or is it best left alone at what the auto setup has put it at?

I have turned off the Dynamic Volume and Audyssey EQ which has helped the rears from being overly loud. But now I'm thinking about it, by turning off Audyssey am I creating the same problem as using Pure Direct?

Thanks again for your help!

A

Anonymous

I would recommend turning off all Audyssey modes, and run in Direct mode...

Works for me, and I'm using small speakers and a sub.

I have the crossover set at 80Hz for the front and center, and 100hz for the rears(they are much smaller than the fronts).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts