Definition of terms

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here's one for the audioholics. Having had little experience of listening to different hifi setups with different characteristics, I often have trouble interpreting descriptions of sound which crop up again and again on this forum.

I thought I understood, however various conversations with you guys have led me to think again.

Tricky I know, but how would you define these:
Bright?
Punchy?
Warm?
Rich?
Transparent?
Deep?
Any others?

Does having one charastic usually imply it can't have another? If so, which?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our forthcoming Ultimate Guide to Hi-fi - out on April 10th (two weeks today), with a new look - will feature a handy feature on hi-fi terminology, too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
One of the best discussions of this I have read was written by J Gordon Holt, founder of US magazine Stereophile, back in the mid-80s. You can read it here.
[/quote]

A great read..........thanks for that Andrew ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

One of the best discussions of this I have read was written by J Gordon Holt, founder of US magazine Stereophile, back in the mid-80s. You can read it here.

[/quote]

Thanks for that - an interesting read.

I guess there's no substitute for heraring a range of systems with different characteristics in order to put this in perspective....

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I can concur with the "jump" factor. On one of my favourite CDs, there is a section where a brass instrument (trumpet I believe) plays an abrupt note, quite noticeably louder than the rest of the music - if the system is good enough, you can hear each vibration of the note and it never fails to suprise me...magic!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts