DacMagic vs Naim CD5i

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Gerrardasnails:drummerman:cayorob:

I also intend to improve the sound of my Sky HD box through the DM as my speakers sit either side of the TV and i enjoy the live music on BBCHD and MTVHD.

My budget won't stretch to the CD5i and XS. I just don't want to get the XS over the 5i amp and then hold back it's talents by not feeding it a good enough source.

The XS is the better product. Whatever you use as source will sound better through it. The companies CD5x is the ideal player for the XS and really is significantly better than the 5i.

The Uniti sounded good in Bristol but as this is out of budget I'd buy the XS and DacMagic and take it from there.

As always, my opinion only.

I have to agree with DM. I believe a better amp will benefit you more than a better transport/DAC. Chebby said that his 5i was better than his Beresford but not by much. The XS amp is supposedly a decent step up from the 5i amp. If you are not impressed with the DM, you can send it back and think again.

I disagree with you here. If you have a fundamentally good amp and speakers the source is going to make the biggest difference. I've experienced it with my old system where I had 3 different disc players. My sound ranged from stunning (original CDP) to awful. And it was definitely not my amp or speakers coming up short.

A

Anonymous

Have you considered the AVI ADM9.1? Worth a look methinks...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Have you considered the AVI ADM9.1? Worth a look methinks...

After the personal insults and hectoring unique marketing approach of the manufacturer seen here on these forums and others? No.

I would just see him everytime I looked at them. I would pay not to own them (if that were ever necessary in some distorted alternative universe) no matter how darned good they are!

If active speakers with built in DACs are the answer to every hifi question then I will wait for the competition to come up with one at a similar price. (Preferably Naim. That would be sweet.)

A

Anonymous

This was a response for the OP but your opinion is noted, again, Chebby.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:This was a response for the OP but your opinion is noted, again, Chebby.

Sorry OP.
emotion-1.gif

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Right then guys the results!!.....

I purchased a DacMagic a few days ago and have been incredibly impressed with it running through my Rotel amp, it certainly beats the Rotel CDP, more crisp and better detail.

So, back to the dealers today for the audition. Firstly we listened to the same setup as before, but with our music. Instantly the CD5i / 5i / Focal 714v impressed, as expected. I went straight in the deep end on track choice with Muse - Knights of Cydonia (live) and the Niam combo unearthed detail i never knew was there. I then slotted in Bloc Party - Prayer, another hard hitting demanding track, results as before, clearly out classing any system i've heard.

Next up was the change to the XS amp, and as a back to back test we spun Bloc Party again. Immense, the difference between these two amplifiers is like night and day. The XS had more control over the music right through the range, even at the same volume. I didn't need to listen to any more tracks, the XS was sold.

I wanted to try the DacMagic against the CD5i (the origional purpose of the thread). The dealer couldn't stream anything as i do at home so we needed another player with an optical output, to run to the DM. In came a Cyrus CD8SE. We hooked it straight up to the XS amp first of all, and to keep all things equal the track choice stayed the same. Un-imressed, both myself and the wife, not saying it didn't sound good, just lacked that punchy sound that we both seem to prefer. Over to the DacMagic. I have to say i prefered it to the CD8SE's direct sound, not quite so mellow, some of the crispness and punch had returned.

As this was the system i expected to like, (or wanted to like budget wise) we varied the music, through Paul Weller / Duffy / Elbow et al (we like a good mix of everything!) before finally re-connecting the CD5i.......

There is no denying the CD5i out performs the DacMagic. Not so much in crispness and punch, but in imaging and seperation it wins hands down. My wife summed it up, and she's no expert, "I can just hear where all the insturments are coming from".. She prefered it so much so that she bought the CD5i
emotion-2.gif

The DacMagic certainly has a place in the home and it will get its use, it'll prodably be used more than the CDP because when walking around the room doing other things they're not leagues apart, but for listening to music, which lets face it is the whole idea of hi-fi, theres no contest.

So, after a very enjoyable afternoon, albeit a whole lot more expensive than planned, the new system is AE > DacMagic > CD5i > Nait XS > Focal Chorus 714v

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Result!

A system you both like.

(My wife also loves the CD5i but not so much as to pay for it alas
emotion-6.gif
)
The Naim XS is definitely my next upgrade just not sure when. Hopefully I may score an ex-dem one and get a good trade-in on the 5i later in the year.

John Duncan

cayorob:So, after a very enjoyable afternoon, albeit a whole lot more expensive than planned, the new system is AE > DacMagic > CD5i > Nait XS > Focal Chorus 714v

Hoo cha. Best of both worlds.

And to chebby - result indeed, I'm still looking for "a system that my wife could give two hoots about".

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:cayorob:So, after a very enjoyable afternoon, albeit a whole lot more expensive than planned, the new system is AE > DacMagic > CD5i > Nait XS > Focal Chorus 714v

Hoo cha. Best of both worlds.

And to chebby - result indeed, I'm still looking for "a system that my wife could give two hoots about".
Haha, my OH doesn't care if I use the Spendors or the TVs internal speaker . The Nait 5i didn't do it for me but I'm getting very curious about the XS.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I'm still looking for "a system that my wife could give two hoots about".

See if you can borrow the naimuniti for an evening.

So long as you can resist tweaking the nuts out of the wireless stuff (boring) while she is there and just stick to CDs that she likes then you may be suprised.

My two daughters (who have never really given a flying fig about 'dads' stereo) have started bringing their CDs down to hear them or asked to listen to Radio 1 and Radio Paradise (youngest daughter) on the hifi during revision.

And (this is the oddest thing) the 17 year old has really taken to a cover of 'Sing Sing Sing with a Swing' (originally by Benny Goodman - with Gene Kruppa drumming - in 1938) from 'The Swing Kids'. AND wanted to hear that "American singer bloke you had on yesterday" (Frank Sinatra on 'Sinatra at the Sands' live with Count Basie orchestra) again after hearing it on the CD5i.

Maybe there is something about the Naim sound and women? A couple of months ago (pre-Naim) they would have run a mile when I played anything on the hifi, let alone Big Band or Frankie.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm... I don't like being fleased by the dealer though. After we'd agreed to order, the price of the XS amp went up by £100 to £1350, as he said Naim and other munufacturers had just put all prices up and he got it wrong by saying it was £1250. Although slightly cheesed off at the time i accepted this as i'd already got the speaker cable thrown in (QED silver aniversary XT).

I've just done some research and yes in April the prices did go up, but not for the XS, the official price list remains at £1250. Now luckily we've only paid a deposit, but tomorrow when i go in i'll expect a full explanation........

John Duncan

cayorob:
Hmmm... I don't like being fleased by the dealer though. After we'd agreed to order, the price of the XS amp went up by £100 to £1350, as he said Naim and other munufacturers had just put all prices up and he got it wrong by saying it was £1250. Although slightly cheesed off at the time i accepted this as i'd already got the speaker cable thrown in (QED silver aniversary XT).

I've just done some research and yes in April the prices did go up, but not for the XS, the official price list remains at £1250. Now luckily we've only paid a deposit, but tomorrow when i go in i'll expect a full explanation........

Oooo yeah. Threaten to walk away (these are hard times, and you're already spending [enter several hundreds here] more than you intended).

John Duncan

chebby:See if you can borrow the naimuniti for an evening.

But seriously, it is so what we need - I want wireless streaming, she wants a CD player she can just stick a disc in, and she hates "all those boxes".

Though she does like this, admittedly:

IMG_3974.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cayorob:Hmmm... I don't like being fleased by the dealer though. After we'd agreed to order, the price of the XS amp went up by £100 to £1350, as he said Naim and other munufacturers had just put all prices up and he got it wrong by saying it was £1250. Although slightly cheesed off at the time i accepted this as i'd already got the speaker cable thrown in (QED silver aniversary XT).

If it was an official Naim dealer then the first speaker cable he would try to flog you would be Naim NAC-A5 (at least 2x3.5metres with soldered Naim terminals to be precise) and secondly, the official price list IS the April 2009 list and new products like the XS were not affected.

http://www.signals.uk.com/Resources/UK%20Price%20List%20April%202009.pdf

Call Naim first thing in the morning about this with all the details.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
chebby:If it was an official Naim dealer then the first speaker cable he would try to flog you would be Naim NAC-A5 (at least 2x3.5metres with soldered Naim terminals to be precise) and secondly, the official price list IS the April 2009 list and new products like the XS were not affected.

http://www.signals.uk.com/Resources/UK%20Price%20List%20April%202009.pdf

Call Naim first thing in the morning about this with all the details.

They are an official dealer, they are on the Naim Retail Price list 2009-2010, which i have already printed, along with the list above but thanks for posting it Chebby. I'll be on the phone first thing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Better still get on to the official Naim company website forum and ask the question.

It is moderated by a Naim employee and populated (among many others) by quite a few Naim dealers.

A

Anonymous

That's an interesting one, actually. I don't recollect there being anyone other than Naim dealers, employees or owners on the forum.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Buggar, just rang Naim HQ and the lady on the phone confirmed the new price of the Nait XS is £1350.... went up within the last week or two!!!!

Still slightly annoyed but at least it wasn't the dealer trying it on.....

A

Anonymous

There's a good reason for that - all the Naim slimline series are being relaunched soon as XS with a new shiny facia similar to the Reference series. There will be a new CD5XS !

Just to throw a Spaniard in the works.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cayorob:
Buggar, just rang Naim HQ and the lady on the phone confirmed the new price of the Nait XS is £1350.... went up within the last week or two!!!!

Still slightly annoyed but at least it wasn't the dealer trying it on.....

That is only for the new shiny fascia model Nait XS to match a new re-jigged XS range (including a new CD5XS model)

For £1350 you should have the brand new fascia model (with any other new tweaks.)

I have just rung my Audio-T and they explained that any 'old' XS models are still £1250 and the new XS models are £1350

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts