DacMagic vs Naim CD5i

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Guys, just after a quick opinion.

Me and the wife yesterday listened to the Naim CD5i / Naim Nait 5i amp and Focal Chorus 714's at the local dealer. Very impressed and we're going back wednesday to try the Niam Nait XS amp with the same speakers. (which i fully expect to be purchasing!)

My slight concern is that i won't be getting the CDP as i've moved to streaming ALAC files through an Airport Express. I'm looking at the DacMagic (or Beresford) DAC's. The dealer can't stream all he has in my budget is the Chordette Gem, which i'm not really interested in.

I guess my question is do you think the DacMagic would be on par with the audition we've heard, and do you think it would do the Nait XS / Focal setup the justice they deserve?

Cheers

Rob

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cayorob:
Guys, just after a quick opinion.

Me and the wife yesterday listened to the Naim CD5i / Naim Nait 5i amp and Focal Chorus 714's at the local dealer. Very impressed and we're going back wednesday to try the Niam Nait XS amp with the same speakers. (which i fully expect to be purchasing!)

My slight concern is that i won't be getting the CDP as i've moved to streaming ALAC files through an Airport Express. I'm looking at the DacMagic (or Beresford) DAC's. The dealer can't stream all he has in my budget is the Chordette Gem, which i'm not really interested in.

I guess my question is do you think the DacMagic would be on par with the audition we've heard, and do you think it would do the Nait XS / Focal setup the justice they deserve?

Cheers

Rob

Yes and yes.

A

Anonymous

Well I'm not convinced, but since I have heard the cd5i several times and the Dacmagic not at all, can't really comment.

However, since you stream already anyway, unless you have lots of CDs, why buy an expensive CD player? If anything, but a better DAC.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Richer sounds and Stanley Beresford will let you audition both at home. See what you think, then maybe check out 'upmarket' dacs if you're not happy

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:
Yes and yes.

I guess Gerrard has spoken.
emotion-1.gif

But I cannot be that emphatic.

The CD5i has a comfortable edge over my Beresford TC-7520* and that was the case when auditioning via a Nait XS too. (Not a 'critical listening'/hifi type edge but a sheer enjoyment/boogie edge!)

However we decided not to go for a "this vs that" approach and instead use both as excellent sources for what they do in our system.

I have not directly compared the DacMagic with the Beresford TC-7520 (nor heard a DacMagic in a Naim system) but I have heard the DacMagic extensively (many tens of hours) in a Primare i30/Focal 716 Chorus/Rega Apollo system belonging to a friend.

The 'jury is out' on that one. He preferred the DacMagic and sold his Apollo because of the extra warmth and bass weight of the DAC. I preferred the Apollo because I disliked the extra bass and warmth of the DacMagic.

(ps If the dealer stocks Rega try and get to hear the Rega RS speaker series with Naim)

*It is likely there is some system synergy responsible for this.

A

Anonymous

cayorob:

No, and probably not, respectively. I've come to the conclusion that my £230 DacMagic is not as good as my £650 CD player. The only surprise is how close it gets, which is very. The Naim CD player will almost undoubtedly be better. The only question is how much better and whether you think it's worth paying the hefty premium.

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:The only question is how much better and whether you think it's worth paying the hefty premium.

...and whether the synergy of the Naim CDP and amp is worth the push. Apparently they go very well together.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Gerrardasnails:
Yes and yes.

I guess Gerrard has spoken.
emotion-1.gif

But I cannot be that emphatic.

The CD5i has a comfortable edge over my Beresford TC-7520* and that was the case when auditioning via a Nait XS too. (Not a 'critical listening'/hifi type edge but a sheer enjoyment/boogie edge!)

However we decided not to go for a "this vs that" approach and instead use both as excellent sources for what they do in our system.

I have not directly compared the DacMagic with the Beresford TC-7520 (nor heard a DacMagic in a Naim system) but I have heard the DacMagic extensively (many tens of hours) in a Primare i30/Focal 726 Chorus/Rega Apollo system belonging to a friend.

The 'jury is out' on that one. He preferred the DacMagic and sold his Apollo because of the extra warmth and bass weight of the DAC. I preferred the Apollo because I disliked the extra bass and warmth of the DacMagic.

(ps If the dealer stocks Rega try and get to hear the Rega RS speaker series with Naim)

*It is likely there is some system synergy responsible for this.

Fair enough point Chebby!

What I meant is that the OP would not, imo, plug the DM in and think, "oh no"!! I would suspect that he would listen and love it and it might be a little different in sound but I don't believe it would be worse.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys,

I think i'll take the risk with the DacMagic. For me the £500 extra for the CD5i would have to be a substantial difference in sound to outweigh the extra cost and the streaming convenience. Likewise the XS amp will have to be substantially better than the 5i amp!

I tend to like an up-front, punchy sound, we tried Cyrus / B & W set up but prefered the Niam / Focal's, so hopefully the DM will fit the bill.... for now!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cayorob:
Thanks guys,

I think i'll take the risk with the DacMagic. For me the £500 extra for the CD5i would have to be a substantial difference in sound to outweigh the extra cost and the streaming convenience. Likewise the XS amp will have to be substantially better than the 5i amp!

I tend to like an up-front, punchy sound, we tried Cyrus / B & W set up but prefered the Niam / Focal's, so hopefully the DM will fit the bill.... for now!

Look forward to hearing your assessment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cayorob:Likewise the XS amp will have to be substantially better than the 5i amp!

It is. Without any doubt.

But not sure if the Beresford will make the most of it from what I heard.

The only thing stopping me buying the Nait XS was the sound of the CD5i with both Nait amps and the superb deal I got on the ex-dem 5i pairing. I had to sacrifice the Nait XS (for now) in order to afford the CD5i but it was the correct decision. (Complicated way of saying the Nait 5i/CD5i combo was better for us than having just the Beresford with the Nait XS despite the marked superiority of the Nait XS as an amp..)

You really owe it to yourself to at least try the CD5i at home if your dealer will let you buy the amp & speakers and borrow the CD player for a home dem.

Ensure they are connected with the supplied Naim DIN interconnect and that the correct connection has been selected via the remote. Should be on 'O' (DIN) rather than 'oo' (RCA) or 'O oo' (DIN + RCA). The dealer will show you.

This here (previously) major cynic about equipment 'running-in' can also guarantee some pleasant suprises after a few weeks.

A

Anonymous

1.I guess my question is do you think the DacMagic would be on par with
the audition we've heard (Definitely not!)

2.Do you think it would do the Nait XS /
Focal setup the justice they deserve? (Definitely not!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:

Evilwolf, have you heard the DacMagic with the XS? I think you and Chebby have got to read the OP again. It's fairly clear that he doesn't want to get a cd player. Chebby, are you saying that the DM and the XS with lossless files won't be as good as the Nait 5i cdp and amp combo? I'm startled by that frankly.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
I also intend to improve the sound of my Sky HD box through the DM as my speakers sit either side of the TV and i enjoy the live music on BBCHD and MTVHD.

My budget won't stretch to the CD5i and XS. I just don't want to get the XS over the 5i amp and then hold back it's talents by not feeding it a good enough source.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:EvilWolf:

Evilwolf, have you heard the DacMagic with the XS? I think you and Chebby have got to read the OP again. It's fairly clear that he doesn't want to get a cd player. Chebby, are you saying that the DM and the XS with lossless files won't be as good as the Nait 5i cdp and amp combo? I'm startled by that frankly.

I have, and with 7 other relatively mid-end to high-end makes, and I was not impressed
emotion-45.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Evilwolf, have you heard the DacMagic with the XS? I think you and Chebby have got to read the OP again. It's fairly clear that he doesn't want to get a cd player.

I read the OP again....

"Me and the wife yesterday listened to the Naim CD5i / Naim Nait 5i
amp and Focal Chorus 714's at the local dealer. Very impressed..."

"My slight concern is that i won't be getting the CDP..."

So a slight concern about not getting a CDP and impressed with the one they did hear.

Gerrardasnails:Chebby, are you
saying that the DM and the XS with lossless files won't be as good as
the Nait 5i cdp and amp combo? I'm startled by that frankly.

I cannot comment on the DacMagic in the context of a Naim system. I can only comment on my Beresford TC-7520 with both Nait amps and say that the CD5i in combination with either amp is the superior source.

As our cousins across the pond say...

Your mileage may vary.

Of course there is the option to buy a better DAC than either the DM or the Beresford but there are precious few stockists of such DACs where the dealer can give a demo with Naim or loan one out.

The naimuniti could be the ideal solution here and cover all the bases - plus a few more - with a superior built in DAC. (I think John suggested that earlier.)

John Duncan

chebby:The naimuniti could be the ideal solution here and cover all the bases - plus a few more - with a superior built in DAC. (I think John suggested that earlier.)

But if you like the idea, both hear it against the 5i pair and hear the CD player in it, because I can't comment on either.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
This is starting to blow my budget appart!

I went into the shop after an amp / speaker combo for around £1500 to upgrade my Rotel RCD -02 / RA-01 / Mission m73i's with the idea of getting the DacMagic (already using the Airport Express)

The 5i / Focal 714 setup comes in just under this budget.

The XS / Focal 714 comes in at £300 over.

The CD5i / 5i / Focal is £700 over. (i don't really want 2 boxes as i haven't got seperate shelves, my rotel amp currently sits on top of the CDP, not ideal i know)

The Naimunity / Focal is £1000 over. (looks a good piece of kit but i think the wife may hit the roof!)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cayorob:
I also intend to improve the sound of my Sky HD box through the DM as my speakers sit either side of the TV and i enjoy the live music on BBCHD and MTVHD.

My budget won't stretch to the CD5i and XS. I just don't want to get the XS over the 5i amp and then hold back it's talents by not feeding it a good enough source.

The XS is the better product. Whatever you use as source will sound better through it. The companies CD5x is the ideal player for the XS and really is significantly better than the 5i.

The Uniti sounded good in Bristol but as this is out of budget I'd buy the XS and DacMagic and take it from there.

As always, my opinion only.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:cayorob:

The XS is the better product. Whatever you use as source will sound better through it. The companies CD5x is the ideal player for the XS and really is significantly better than the 5i.

The Uniti sounded good in Bristol but as this is out of budget I'd buy the XS and DacMagic and take it from there.

As always, my opinion only.

I have to agree with DM. I believe a better amp will benefit you more than a better transport/DAC. Chebby said that his 5i was better than his Beresford but not by much. The XS amp is supposedly a decent step up from the 5i amp. If you are not impressed with the DM, you can send it back and think again.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
I think the plan is to try and pick up a DM before the next audition. I can then take it with me and get the dealer to feed it with an input and run the amp from it. This should give us a good idea and also a comparison, and like you say, if i don't like the DM i can either take it back or sell on....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cayorob:
I think the plan is to try and pick up a DM before the next audition. I can then take it with me and get the dealer to feed it with an input and run the amp from it. This should give us a good idea and also a comparison, and like you say, if i don't like the DM i can either take it back or sell on....

Or even better, get the XS for demo at home and feed the DM with your own files.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes the CD5i is a better source than our Beresford TC7520 (with lossless from iTunes).

It was enough in our case to justify having both sources rather than just the Beresford. Add to which my wife did not really want to let go of being able to play CDs.

The role/priorities of the DAC has been shifted to other (equally valuable) duties such as BBC iPlayer, internet radio and optical digital audio connection to our DVD/HDD/Freeview recorder for DVD sound and (most importantly) Freeview radio where it excels.

I still use iTunes via the DAC (256k, 320k and lossless) but now for playlists in 'shuffle play' and material I have archived there that is not possible to replicate or buy on CD.

The Beresford has not by any means been 'demoted'. (Radio - whether on iPlayer 'play it again' or Freeview or internet - is as important to us as music from CDs if not more so).

After a succession of dismal CD players from Denon, NAD and Arcam that have ALL ended up with me preferring vinyl or radio or (latterly) iTunes via a DAC, I am not going to let the first good sounding CD player I have owned go.
emotion-2.gif

I have only had a CD player for short periods out of the last 10 years and they were all mistakes despite being well reviewed units. Until my first DAC (and now this Naim CD5i) I assumed I just could not listen to music from CD without terminal ennui setting in after about 15 minutes!

I expect you guys have all been cheerfully listening to CD players for decades without running into the same 'brick wall'. For me the last 6 weeks has been by far the longest period I have enjoyed a CD player for. (The previous record was about 2 weeks for a NAD 'BEE' of some kind about 6 years ago.)

This may explain why I am so happy with the CD5i and the Nait. It is only my fourth CD player in 26 years and the only one I still love to play every day and look forward to using and have ambitions to upgrade one day (CD5X) rather than plans to take it back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts