DacMagic vs Naim CD5i

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cayorob:
Right then guys the results!!.....

I purchased a DacMagic a few days ago and have been incredibly impressed with it running through my Rotel amp, it certainly beats the Rotel CDP, more crisp and better detail.

So, back to the dealers today for the audition. Firstly we listened to the same setup as before, but with our music. Instantly the CD5i / 5i / Focal 714v impressed, as expected. I went straight in the deep end on track choice with Muse - Knights of Cydonia (live) and the Niam combo unearthed detail i never knew was there. I then slotted in Bloc Party - Prayer, another hard hitting demanding track, results as before, clearly out classing any system i've heard.

Next up was the change to the XS amp, and as a back to back test we spun Bloc Party again. Immense, the difference between these two amplifiers is like night and day. The XS had more control over the music right through the range, even at the same volume. I didn't need to listen to any more tracks, the XS was sold.

I wanted to try the DacMagic against the CD5i (the origional purpose of the thread). The dealer couldn't stream anything as i do at home so we needed another player with an optical output, to run to the DM. In came a Cyrus CD8SE. We hooked it straight up to the XS amp first of all, and to keep all things equal the track choice stayed the same. Un-imressed, both myself and the wife, not saying it didn't sound good, just lacked that punchy sound that we both seem to prefer. Over to the DacMagic. I have to say i prefered it to the CD8SE's direct sound, not quite so mellow, some of the crispness and punch had returned.

As this was the system i expected to like, (or wanted to like budget wise) we varied the music, through Paul Weller / Duffy / Elbow et al (we like a good mix of everything!) before finally re-connecting the CD5i.......

There is no denying the CD5i out performs the DacMagic. Not so much in crispness and punch, but in imaging and seperation it wins hands down. My wife summed it up, and she's no expert, "I can just hear where all the insturments are coming from".. She prefered it so much so that she bought the CD5i
emotion-2.gif

The DacMagic certainly has a place in the home and it will get its use, it'll prodably be used more than the CDP because when walking around the room doing other things they're not leagues apart, but for listening to music, which lets face it is the whole idea of hi-fi, theres no contest.

So, after a very enjoyable afternoon, albeit a whole lot more expensive than planned, the new system is AE > DacMagic > CD5i > Nait XS > Focal Chorus 714v

Very interesting. Without sounding like a stuck record, I do still believe that the DacMagic with lossless files and the XS will be as good (albeit sounding different) as the 5i. I understand that you couldn't stream anything in the shop but by using the Cyrus as transport, I don't think you are going to get the full picture. As you are impressed by the 5i, wouldn't it have made more sense to take the XS home, try with the DacMagic and lossless files and then if you are still not totally satisfied, then buy the 5i? Might save you a few quid.

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Very interesting. Without sounding like a stuck record, I do still believe that the DacMagic with lossless files and the XS will be as good (albeit sounding different) as the 5i. I understand that you couldn't stream anything in the shop but by using the Cyrus as transport, I don't think you are going to get the full picture. As you are impressed by the 5i, wouldn't it have made more sense to take the XS home, try with the DacMagic and lossless files and then if you are still not totally satisfied, then buy the 5i? Might save you a few quid.

You may be right, but i wouldn't have noticed at home without the 5i, it would have sounded great anyway. The wife was never keen on not having a CDP in any case and as she said she'd buy it then who am i to argue! I will obviosly be able to do a full comparison at home which i will report back on.

It will also be the new facia xs, which i know won't match the cd5i but i'm quite pleased it will now look different to the 5i amp.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
"It will also be the new facia xs, which i know won't match the cd5i but i'm quite pleased it will now look different to the 5i amp".

I see your point there. I will be interested to hear your thoughts. I believe you have heard the DacMagic at it's weakest (not knocking the Cyrus) so far...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:"It will also be the new facia xs, which i know won't match the cd5i but i'm quite pleased it will now look different to the 5i amp".

I see your point there. I will be interested to hear your thoughts. I believe you have heard the DacMagic at it's weakest (not knocking the Cyrus) so far...

I don't think Gerrard will be happy until you say that both you and your wife prefer the DacMagic after all
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Gerrardasnails:"It will also be the new facia xs, which i know won't match the cd5i but i'm quite pleased it will now look different to the 5i amp".

I don't think Gerrard will be happy until you say that both you and your wife prefer the DacMagic after all
emotion-1.gif

And that they like Radiohead!!
emotion-1.gif

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:chebby:

Gerrardasnails:"It will also be the new facia xs, which i know won't match the cd5i but i'm quite pleased it will now look different to the 5i amp". I see your point there. I will be interested to hear your thoughts. I believe you have heard the DacMagic at it's weakest (not knocking the Cyrus) so far...

emotion-1.gif

And that they like Radiohead!!
emotion-1.gif

..... for the record the OP does like Radiohead! OK Computer is a fantastic album, but the OP doesn't prefer the DacMagic!!!....

Right, i've have the new system for about 10 days now and i'm absolutely smitten. For the record it's not a shiney new XS but one of the origional models that arrived at the dealers, so consequently i also got a £100 refund! (and it matches the CD5i-2!)

I won't bore you with my initial thoughts as quite frankly my heart sank on the first CD!! Clearly though after a few hours this was just the first run of all components from cold, and was hideous!! After a thorough warm up and 12 days of being powered up and used for well over 50 hours, the system is amazing!

As for the comparison between the DM and CD5i.... It's one which i can't really put my finger on, the DM is mightly impressive. What it does for streamed music, as well as Sky HD music etc, is fabulous and i can't recommend it highly enough. Against the CD5i though it just can't compete. I don't mean that in a clinical way either, it seems to replay songs just as you would expect, until you play the CD5i, and then the music just comes to life........ which i guess is exactly what we are all after in Hi-Fi.

Secondly, i can't believe that Focal speakers don't really get the respect they deserve on here, or other forums! They seem perfectly suited to me. Maybe they just suit my varied music taste though, and the fact that their main critism of light bass suits my room size of 17m2 to a tee!

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

The CD5i is pretty special isn't it?
emotion-2.gif

Especially with a Naim amp.

Now get yourself some NAC-A5 speaker cable if you have not already.

I've just read your other post Chebby, has it made the difference you were after?? What cable did you change from? At present i've got QED Silver Aniversary XT, but i got that thrown into the deal and have a birthday coming up!! Like you i only need 3.5m each side......

I think the CD5i is superb. I never allowed the dealer to play me the CD5x mind! Glad i didn't, but i have also heard that it can sound a touch bland, especially without a Flatcap.......

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cayorob:I've just read your other post Chebby, has it made the difference you were after?? What cable did you change from? At present i've got QED Silver Aniversary XT, but i got that thrown into the deal and have a birthday coming up!! Like you i only need 3.5m each side...

I changed from 2.5m of original £5 a metre Chord Carnival. (The silver coated copper stuff unlike the newer CC Silverscreen which is actually non silver-coated copper confusingly).

Naim recommend a minimum of 3.5m per side of NAC-A5 but with newer Naim amps like ours it is not so critical electronically as it used to be.

However, I decided to play it by the Naim 'rules' anyway (even though it is no longer a warranty breaker) because (1) life is too short for me to audition loads of different brands and (2) if synergy exists between major Naim components linked with their own DIN interconnect then why not with the speaker cable too? My confidence in their equipment has been been repaid with everything else so far.

The NAC-A5 definitely makes everything even more 'immediate' and exciting but without being harsh.

You know what I mean from your experience described above. Just gives you a bit more of the same.

I am hopeless at describing the 'Naim sound'. It is like trying to put Kodachrome 25 into words for people who have only ever looked at photos on a computer screen!

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
chebby:I am hopeless at describing the 'Naim sound'. It is like trying to put Kodachrome 25 into words for people who have only ever looked at photos on a computer screen!

I don't think there is a 'Naim sound'. Every CD i put in seems to sound exactly as it should... Musical.

If anything, it sounds as though every piece of electronic processing / gadgetry to enhance sound i've ever heard, has been turned off. There is nothing to hear other than the recording.

Think i may give the NAC-A5 a go....

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I actually didn't read all the posts but if the naim isn't much better with a good power cord attached to it compared to the DacMagic, then the naim isn't very good.

I heard much better then DacMagic.

It seems DacMagic is on a wave of commercial succes while there are better alternatives.

But only if you can have a good power cord on a dac and not an AC psu i experienced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts