Question DAC amp bluetooth advice

Rachelw

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi there, I don't really understand much about DACs and playing bluetooth so I wondered if someone could please help/advise me. I just purchased a marantz PM6006 amp and would like to be able to play music wirelessly from devises (phone, laptop, tablets etc) as well.
Is it worth getting one of these to connect to it? https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/ifi-zen-blue
I thought the amp had a DAC in it so slightly confused. How does this device compare to google chromecast audio?

I also have an older Rotel amp from the 80s/90s-is it possible to connect that to something like this (in another room), or would that not work because it's not modern enough? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

jjbomber

Welcome to the forum,

Yes, that would be a great solution. You would use the digital optical output of the zen to take advantage of the DAC in the Marantz amplifier.

If you were connecting the zen to an older amp without a DAC, then you'd use the analogue RCA outputs on the Zen.

Reactions: Rachelw

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
I can recommend the ifi zen blue, I use it connected to my dac using the digital coax connection. I use my tablet as the source with the Ldac codec set at the 990kbps setting.
It's the best I've ever heard from bluetooth and the connection is rock solid.
As it has It's own dac you can can connect it to your amp with either the analogue outputs or digital outputs. It's very flexible as far as codecs are concerned but to get the best out of it I'd use a device that has aptx hd or ldac.
I did try it with my ipad but its limited to AAC, but even so it still sounded good.

Rachelw

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi again, just wondered if I would also need to add a streamer with the Zen blue or would you just stream from your laptop, phone etc ?

I have been reading a bit about the Bluesound Node 2i which also sounds good (though £500 compared to £129 for the zen blue). My worry about spending money on streamers is around how future proof they are with tech advancing etc. Not very clued up about any of this stuff, just want to check I'm purchasing the right things

Gray

Hi again, just wondered if I would also need to add a streamer with the Zen blue or would you just stream from your laptop, phone etc ?

I have been reading a bit about the Bluesound Node 2i which also sounds good (though £500 compared to £129 for the zen blue). My worry about spending money on streamers is around how future proof they are with tech advancing etc. Not very clued up about any of this stuff, just want to check I'm purchasing the right things
The 2i streams directly for (slightly) better absolute sound quality.
It also gives you (2-way) Bluetooth, so you've still got that option.

Did you sort out your Allen & Heath mixer by the way?

Rachelw

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
The 2i streams directly for (slightly) better absolute sound quality.
It also gives you (2-way) Bluetooth, so you've still got that option.

Thanks - hmm, perhaps I'll just see how the zen blue works as it's significantly cheaper.

Re. the allen & heath - I've found a repair place but there's a couple of weeks wait at the moment, thank you

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts