Cyrus + Speaker Choice - Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Long time reader 1st time poster.

Just purchased Cyrus DAC 8 Qx, CD T & PSX-R, all connected to Acoustic Energy 109's (Floorstanders), really pleased with it all but feel that the 109's might be the weakest link in the chain now at 14 Yrs old!

Any recomendations for speakers that work really well with Cyrus gear, bookshelf or floorstanders?

Thanks

Stu

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
An obvious choice for floorstander would be Spendor A5 or perhaps the SA 1 stand mounter. Both work well in a Cyrus set up.

A

Anonymous

Crossie,

Thanks for that will add it to my auditioning list.

Stu

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Vienna Acoustics!

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-speakers-for-cyrus

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/speakers-for-cyrus-system-2

A second-hand pair can be had for quite reasonable money on Ebay, which is how I got my Beethoven Baby Grands. And they sound fantastic!

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to step into dangerous territory here - but what speaker cables have you got? I found that there are differences (not huge) so it might be worth trying some different cables out when you decide what speaker you want. I think it would be too difficult to try and choose speakers and cables at the same time.

I've got cyrus and spendor. My preference was for tellorium Q cables as they sounded best to me.

A

Anonymous

BronC

Speaker cables = Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable

Thanks for the great suggestions so far, my list is growing

Stu

A

Anonymous

Do you agree with my thoughts on the Acoustic Energy speakers?

"but feel that the 109's might be the weakest link in the chain now at 14 Yrs old!"

Stu

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
bertdoozer - how do you find the Cyrus/Spendor A5 combo? I'm running A5's with a Leema Pulse (an Arcam) - admittedly the whole set up is only a month or 2 old (so potentially more to come?) and whilst it's a lovely balanced sound - it doesn't have the sparkle to blow me away as I was expecting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BluePotato said:
bertdoozer - how do you find the Cyrus/Spendor A5 combo? I'm running A5's with a Leema Pulse (an Arcam) - admittedly the whole set up is only a month or 2 old (so potentially more to come?) and whilst it's a lovely balanced sound - it doesn't have the sparkle to blow me away as I was expecting.

I know you're not asking me, but that may be the speakers (good and all as they are)....and the rdac may not be lively enough for you (especially when combined with the A5s, making it all sound too "safe").

A

Anonymous

BronC,

Budget about £1500 ish, would concider all options, new/SH & demo

Stu

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Stu - with that type of budget you will have no difficulty finding better speakers than you have got.

You can pick up an ex-dem Spendor A6 for that price. That would go fantastically with your current Cyrus kit and with any future upgrades to your Cyrus kit

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any thoughts about my AE 109's?

Stu

bertdoozer said:
Do you agree with my thoughts on the Acoustic Energy speakers?

"but feel that the 109's might be the weakest link in the chain now at 14 Yrs old!"

Stu

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts