CYRUS with Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grand Speakers - The Experience

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Golly640

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
atticus,

I started with a budget for getting new HiFi at GBP5K. With the other system we have; Roksan, Cyrus Integrated amp and ProAcs I managed that. But then addiction took over and the Cyrus/Vienna set up finally cost me about GBP13 KI haven't regretted it for a moment. Just means I will have to continue to cycle around Moscow and put off buying a car for a few more years!

paudra

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Cyrus 8DAC and a Cyrus X Power (stereo mode) currently and I am using the 8DAC to run the high inputs on the speakers and the X Power for the low level inputs to some test MA GX300's and KEF R900's and I cannot make my mind up - so have started looking at the Baby Grands. What would you recommend if connected to them as I hear that they only have one set of posts?

Thanks

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Golly640 said:
atticus,

I started with a budget for getting new HiFi at GBP5K. With the other system we have; Roksan, Cyrus Integrated amp and ProAcs I managed that. But then addiction took over and the Cyrus/Vienna set up finally cost me about GBP13 KI haven't regretted it for a moment. Just means I will have to continue to cycle around Moscow and put off buying a car for a few more years!

Hi Malcolm,

Just like to add my compliments & congratulations to the others here on reaching your Hi-Fi 'promised land'.

Excuse my stumbling on this thread so late, but, have you(or other Cyrus & Vienna Acoustics users on this forum) heard how good Cyrus' 30th anniversary system is?

Speaking from my own personal, limited, listening experiences with Cyrus kit(admittedly only with older 8XXX series components), i felt they bordered on the bright, clinical & thin side. Especially so when mismatched with the wrong speakers.

A couple of people i know - who would never normally be considered Cyrus' biggest fans - mentioned they were pleasantly surprised by the combination of openness, realism & refinement from Cyrus' 30th anniversary system at the Bristol show earlier this year. And both were particularly gushing about VA speakers. This despite the inevitable detrimental effects of inadequately sized & unsatisfactorily treated hotel suites on the perfomance of highly sensitive audio equipment.

I understand, after speaking with one of Cyrus people there one of them was so impressed, that he's seriously considering purchasing the complete 30th Anniversary system as the basis of a second one he'll be setting-up, after his retirement, later this year.

Be interested to know of other speaker brands & models i might suggest for him to hear with this Cyrus system.

Regards.

Babur.

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Wow!! What a system!! Yes I'm very green with envy! 4 times the cost of my whole system for the indigo and XLRs alone without the rest of the kit around £30-40,000 worth I estimate

shallow I know but had to comment on this system.

well done sir

:cheers:

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on your set up it looks fantastic. I agree with your point re Vienna Acoustics speakers too - I have a pair of Vienna accoustic Schonbergs they are truly magnificent.

enjoy the music

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
VAs are the speaker to audition to partner Cyrus if you have the room as in this set up. I'm looking for speakers to partner similar kit but in a room a lot smaller which means side walls are a few centimeters away not feet. Very few reviews give this essential info apart from a few throw away lines e.g. needs space. Matching speakers to a room is the hardest part lMO

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to have the room to accomodate the VAs..but I think even my CM8s are not given the chance to really show what they can do.

What hope for the VAs. :cry:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I commend you on your knowledge of system matching, it seems that you have thought out your hi-fi for a long time. I think Cyrus systems need to be carefully partnered so as not to become overly analytical and fatiguing. Everything down from your interconnects to your speakers seem to be just what the doctor ordered. I've heard Cyrus kit partnered wrongly at a dealer with some very expensive Tannoys which sounded sharp, shrill and harsh and I was left with a bad impression at first. Just like anything in hi-fi, your system becomes more than the sum of its parts when rightly partnered, Kudos, hope you enjoy your system for many years to come.

Cheers,

Shafin

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Happy Days! based on your descriptions and pics Golly640, Mrs C has tentatively agreed for me to look seriously into buying a pair of Beethoven Baby Grands, plus a Maestro centre speaker.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Happy Days! based on your descriptions and pics Golly640, Mrs C has tentatively agreed for me to look seriously into buying a pair of Beethoven Baby Grands, plus a Maestro centre speaker.

Great news! You won't be disappointed.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I only have limited experience with VA coupled with Cyrus, but was very, VERY impressed with what I heard. I was visiting Cyrus for training back with my old work, and was taken through the differences between the CD6 and CD8, and the PSX-R through the Concert Grand, I think it was. I'd be happy with that setup (Mono X200 blocks were involved as well, I think) in my front room. Actually preferred it to the Anniversary setup with the Klimt The Music speakers, but to be fair, the speakers weren't set up for the room, they were just running in the system for reviews.

Amazing detail without being fatiguing, and the soundstage was brilliant.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Concerning the Vienna Acoustics, just ordered my pair of BBGs, then saw that VA had a "Symphony Edition" with upgraded tweeter and base etc.

But the distributors (Cyrus) say that the SE version isn't available in the UK.

Anyone got insight into why US listeners had them back in 2012, VA have a press release in 2013, but not available in UK?

http://www.vienna-acoustics.com/news/article_13.php

Seems a bit strange?

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Concerning the Vienna Acoustics, just ordered my pair of BBGs, then saw that VA had a "Symphony Edition" with upgraded tweeter and base etc.

But the distributors (Cyrus) say that the SE version isn't available in the UK.

Anyone got insight into why US listeners had them back in 2012, VA have a press release in 2013, but not available in UK?

http://www.vienna-acoustics.com/news/article_13.php

Seems a bit strange?

It does. No idea as to why, but rest assured the speakers you're about to buy are simply wonderful. Particularly when coupled with Mono x s, even more so with Mono x 300 s.....

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Arrived today. One of the BBGs is damaged, cracked/chiped veneer bottom left front. Aargh!!

But the damage doesn't correspond with damage on the outer box packaging. Manufacturing fault/accident?

Retailer is on the case.

So frustrating - they are so beautiful and are a matched pair.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Arrived today. One of the BBGs is damaged, cracked/chiped veneer bottom left front. Aargh!!

But the damage doesn't correspond with damage on the outer box packaging. Manufacturing fault/accident?

Retailer is on the case.

So frustrating - they are so beautiful and are a matched pair.

Really sorry to hear that, always a complete bummer to have your happy day soured.

Can I ask what colour you opted for?

I'm considering a pair of Beethovens, and have always been an everthing is black man, but the rosewood finish does look nice.

Did you spend much time demoing them? If so what kit were you able to pair up with them?

Cheers

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Really sorry to hear that, always a complete bummer to have your happy day soured.

Can I ask what colour you opted for?

I'm considering a pair of Beethovens, and have always been an everthing is black man, but the rosewood finish does look nice.

Did you spend much time demoing them? If so what kit were you able to pair up with them?

Cheers

hi neuphonix, I went for the rosewood finishnand they are beautiful. I also bought the Maestro Grand, which is a substantial centre speaker, but still very elegant.

Demo? I would have loved to, but it's very difficult even in the south of england to find a stockist. I asked Cyrus (the distributors) and they pointed me up north. But given the rest of my system, and all that I've read over the past two years, I thought I'd give them a chance.

Shame I'm going to have to wait for a replacement pair to hear what the BBGs sound like. Though the Maestro is installed and is very revealing.

We use the intro sequence to Dexter ( miami psychopath one) as it has a lot of different subtle sounds, a good bass line etc, and Mrs C was hearing things she hadn't heard before. A great early result!

TRENDING THREADS