Cyrus or Quad?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi people,

I'm considering either the Cyrus mono X amps or the Quad mono 99 amps for my EposM22 speakers. Would love to hear some feedback, anyone heard these amps?

A

Anonymous

Being a Quad user, I think my answer is obvious. However I am using valves so that does make a difference. I have heard the 909 and preferred it over the Cyrus. To my ears, a much fuller rounder sound. There are a few Quaddies on here who will post back with a better review I am sure.

T

the record spot

Sadly not, but do you mind me asking why just those two brands? Have you considered other alternatives?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The two are quite different. Put quite simply, the Cyrus is a more up front sound, whereas Quad is smoother. You'll find the Mono X's frequency extremes are more energetic than the Quad, which will walk over the Cyrus when it comes to midrange - what's your preference?

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As others have already said the sound these two amps really are quite different. Have you had a listen to either yet? I think I'd be inclined to audition. decide which prefer and then check out other amps with a similar sound to make sure you're buying the best you can based on taste. Think Naim if you prefer the cyrus and maybe MF or even Values if prefer the Quad.

Its a lot of cash to spend to only consider two brands.

Heads or tails?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The Quad 909 will probably suit the Epos speakers well.
The Quads are cheaper (a bit).
The Quads look better.
The Quads sound more natural.
Quad customer service and servicing/repair is fantastic.

Go for the Quads...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

If you like speed and dynamics go for the cyrus amps.

A

Anonymous

Go for a classic 405 or 303 only if you intend to have it rebuilt by someone like Netaudio. I can vouch for the Netaudio 405 Mk3 DMPSU and you can get mono blocks too. Unless you're particularly interested in have a fully restored classic amp then I would go 909.

I think that a pair of 909s will give more dynamics and punch than people realise. The midrange is what they're about though and you'll find it hard to give it up in future too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts