Cyrus CD8x CD player and 8VS2 £1399 - worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It this package deal VFM? £1399 vs £1848.

They are new and boxed and from a dealer.

What will Cyrus charge to upgrade the CD8x to the next generation when it arrives - any idea?

Finally, is it sir-rus or is it sigh-rus?

Thanks in advance...

A

Anonymous

The old CD7Q was a much nicer player. What speakers are you planning to partner with?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="RSWarnett"]It this package deal VFM? £1399 vs £1848.

They are new and boxed and from a dealer.[/quote]

Seems a pretty good deal to me

[quote user="RSWarnett"]What will Cyrus charge to upgrade the CD8x to the next generation when it arrives - any idea?[/quote]

Lots - the new machines use a completely new slot-loading disc mech, so it would probably be uneconomic to make the change.

[quote user="RSWarnett"]Finally, is it sir-rus or is it sigh-rus?[/quote]

Sigh-rus. Sirius has too many 'i's and the other common one, cirrus, too many 'r's.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="darrenwm1"]The old CD7Q was a much nicer player. What speakers are you planning to partner with?[/quote]

I'll be able to let you know after the auditions tomorrow and Saturday.

Shortlist (as per post from the other day - thanks to all):

• B&W 685 (I have to start somewhere, right?)
  • Spendor S3e
  • PMC DB1i
  • Whatever the dealer confounds me with tomorrow
  • Anything you convincingly add to the equation

Am I better off with the CD6s?

A

Anonymous

I DO think it's good vfm considering the quality of the components, however I think you'd get a better deal than that.

Id be angling for £1100 tops considering the new SE range are iminent and dealers will be looking to get rid of the old stock....

That really would be sensational vfm and achievable too

A

Anonymous

I find the 8x bright and a PSXR is required to tame it.They are being discontinued because the new CDPs are due out soon. Check with Cyrus what spares will be available for the 8x now they've stopped using that mech. Cyrus reliability has been poor in my experience lately and you wouldn't want to end up stuck.8x/8vs/s3e is a fine combo; listen to many options though.

A

Anonymous

Ive seen the CD8x £599 brand new.

If you were to get at that price then later on you'd have a CD8SE for £899 which is fantastic vfm imo

A

Anonymous

10% off for members this week I believe...so the thread starter should just sign up

I got my Cyrus DAC-X from there and can vouch for their service

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Great system and especially good with Rega R3's.
[/quote]

Sorry for the hi-jack, but i was thinking of replacing my cd73 for the CD8x. Drummerman, is it gonna be a worthwhile upgrade for £600 to go along with the rest of my set up. I will audition of course but was just curious.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you like the Arcam CDP generally then try the 192 or FMJ players. You should be able to get deals on there soon to be discontinued models.Despite WHF's 5star review the 8X is rubbish and bright. The finish of the unit is poor too, and like most Cyrus stuff of late the fascia does not match the casework!I used to owned a CD72 and it was much better than the Cyrus dad1.5 it replaced. The CD7Q is a good one - very good. Find one of those second hand or a nice Meridian 506.24 or Copland second hand. I've owned all of the mentioned CDP's. They're all quite nice, but the reality is that differences tend to be subtle and you have to spend a fortune to get real improvements.Oh, IMO.

A

Anonymous

More suggestions...
You could try a Cambridge Audio 740 or 840 CD and amp combo.Yes, Cambridge Audio, I know, I used to turn my nose up too until I heard the £500 740 CDP sound as good as and better in some respects than my much more expensive CDP. They also have digital inputs so that you can upgrade your other sources such as DVD player sound, Sky box, and a music streamer. I believe Richer Sounds let you buy and return within 10days if not happy, so effectively a home demo.I also saw on another forum that AVI were selling off the Lab Series CDP at half price. It may be worth emailing them direct.

A

Anonymous

Has Roksan had a good review or something recently? Because I have had a lot of people asking for it out of the blue. Listen to as much as poss, even if WHF gave it a lowly 4stars :eek:Also as a wildcard try the AVI active speakers. They cost less than that Cyrus combo alone without the speakers and I bet they're better.

A

Anonymous

If I can reclaim this thread briefly to post an update (since I know how frustrating it can be to not know how the story ends)....

Thanks to those who pointed me towards the other offers out there. I was able to use this to get the £1399 price down to £1325 (the published Moorgate price on the day).

On the basis that the amp would have cost me the list price of £850, this means I paid £475 for a Cyrus CD8x. Even if I take up Cyrus's offer of an upgrade to the CD8SE for £300 I would have only paid £775 for it. I'm quite pleased with that and I'm now 1 1/2 days into the run-in period.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Would have been £1192 if you had signed up before hand - as they were giving 10% off everything as well but you needed to register and then wait about 24hours. If you log back in now you will prob be offered the same at 10% off!

A

Anonymous

I'm really happy with my CD8x + PSX-R and 8vs which I picked up when they were first released. Stonking kit that's a steal at these prices! Now the Cyrus upgrade route is so flexible as to be a little confusing. In time I'd like to add an 8 Power and PSX-R to the 8vs - Now those are upgrades I understand.

Is it really worth forking out £300 to make the CD8x into a CD8SE when an extra ton will buy you a PSX-R? I reckon you'll get a much greater sonic improvement by adding the extra box. It does make a big difference. Not to mention that for me, there's a certain pride of ownership attached to bringing home an extra peice of kit as opposed to a new badge on some upgraded kit. Call me materialistic but I reckon it will coincide with good economic sense. (Easier to justify to the wife too!) Have to hear the CD8SE first though!

I've got some questions on the X range. Is the DAC in the DAC-XP the same as that in the DAC-X, and is the pre-amp in the DAC-XP the same as in the Pre-X? In other words, is a DAC-XP everything that you get in a DAC-X and and Pre-X? And if so, is the whole really up to the sum of it's parts or is there some trade off by cramming it all into one dinky ickle box?

Secondly, how does the Pre-VS compare to the Pre-X?

A

Anonymous

The DAC XP is essentially a DAC X with a pre amp. I am told though that they are connected in a balanced configuration internally though, whereas if you use a DACX and pre amp separately you don't get the balanced option. I'm pretty sure that is the case but I'd email Cyrus to confirm if that interested you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts