Winding back the clock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I see one in France sold for £471 (649 eur). Maybe they are willing to send it to you Pyr, if it's not gone by now.

Amazing Vladimir. Your Googlie skills border on the Messianic. Thanks. Message duly sent in bad French.*dirol* Let's wait and see. :)

Pyramus

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Check the Abrahamsen store (the founder Per Abrahamsen sold Electrocompaniet and opened his own company under his name in Norway).

The A-DAC II-D/A Converter + V10-CD-Player will cost you exactly 500 GBP together, that is if you want a separate DAC. You can go for the CDP alone and get the UP version (upgraded). Or get V10 CDP and a separate streamer elsewhere.

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir. You really are the oracle on all things HiFi.

Can't order stuff there though. Its very intense and back and gold, and non responsive.

I want that little British lead...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow, those 8200CD are selling like no tomorrow. This Audiolab is discounted but for £539.

With this Arcam you get free Musical Fidelity cans. WHF gave the Arcam horrendously bad review but still 4 stars. *scratch_one-s_head* Now shops have to give away expensive cans to sell them.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Be very carefully if buying a used 8200CD.

Not bad mouthing Audiolab but their build quality is questionable.

So make sure you're sorted regards returns.

Make sure

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir, thanks Thorntonsub. Yes, I have just been reading about the build on the Audiolab, especially the very tightly fitting CD tray, and CD's getting trapped/scratched.

Anyway, I have put a deposit down on the Arcam FMJ CDS27. Am very pleased with this in the end, as (aside from WHF) most reviews are pretty 'rave', especially on the CD player end, and in contrast to the Audiolab, build quality is supposed to be great. What I am quite intrigued about is whether the streaming do-da, and the USB connection will improve my experience by moving away from the laptop. Am I right in thinking that the DAC on this machine will be better than the Musical Fidelity V90 I currently run? Could I do without the MF V90 and use the DAC in the Arcam for other sources? If so, this is great news, as I could stick the DAC in another system - and joy of joys, start building again!!!*biggrin*

Dear forum, a very satisfied Pyramus.*i-m_so_happy*

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
So, this has been interesting.

The Arcam is installed, and the CD sounds (to my ears), flawless. But then, I am relatively easily pleased as I have little comparison.

The interesting bit has been that I only packed six CDs in my baggage, (literally scooped a handful from the box of CDs back home, without much chosing) and so, for four months now, I have been listening to these six CDs in a sort of 'Desert Island Disks' type scenario. In many ways... enforced listening. The CD player also has the ability to do streaming and digital stuff, but being a consummate tech-dimwit, I have no idea how to do this. Perhaps 'no will' might be more accurate.

Disk number one: Massive Attack-Blue Lines. This album was epochal for me and everyone else I knew at the time in the West country where I grew up. I had lost sight of this album - like rekindling an old friendship. Loving the way the deep lows flow effortlessly from Thor and his Cambridge friend.

Verdict:: just gets better.

Disk number two: Eric Clapton-From the Cradle to the Grave. Not really doing it for me, but I am forced to listen to it occaisionally, simply because.... its one of my six disks.

Verdict: Missing that modicum of undefinability.

Disk number three: Eat Static-Abduction. When Ozric Tentacles went dance... or trance in the early 90's. I used to love this album. There are moments when it can still capture a moment, but in general, I have to admit I have probably moved on... (or my state of mind more connected to the reaities of the day to day) after 25 years. If Massive Attack was like rekindling an old friendship, this one is like bumping into 'Jon' twenty five years on, and realising (apart from the fact that wearing poyester Ibiza casuals when you look like 72, but are only 44 is not hip) that the two stints in clink for credit card fraud and possesion and a pronounced loyalty to amphetemines, have left us with few things in common. However, there is a silver lining to this one, my line manager lives in the appartment below me and hates electronic music. He is also an arse.

Verdict: Not a beat wasted.

Disk number four: More Rockers-Select Cuts. The first Bristol banging grinding bass paired with angelic female voice courtesy of Rob Smith.... still mental. Again, not easy, but mental. The basses are just insane, and you have to superglue or nail everything down to avoid the appartment vibrating iself apart. No kidding, the Elacs with that Electrocomapniet pulversise air molicules in a way I have never really experienced before. Works even better on the noxious neighbour.

Verdict: Turn it up.

Disk number five: Fleetwood Mac-Rumours. I know, this is what my parents listened to (when they were pretending to be conservative - or had lent out all of the Led Zep.), and it is a rather odd choice for me. However.... it is an amazingly arranged album. Wow. In awe, again and again.

Verdict: quality lasts.

Disk number six: Leftfield-Leftfield. 'Inspection.... everthing ship-shape and shine?' Interestingly, this album has not lost its shine on me. A lot of those albums in the electronic genre over the last 20 years were 'mental' at the time, but just lost it as the world moved on. This one is still a balanced and compelling melange.... I listen to this one most. Not least because my better half appreciates it too.

Overall, I recommend this pilgramage of sorts into lost or estranged musical friendships. Having so little choice works on the mind in quite a pleasant way.

Thanks for all the help:

Pyramus

K

keeper of the quays

Pyramus said:
So, this has been interesting.

The Arcam is installed, and the CD sounds (to my ears), flawless. But then, I am relatively easily pleased as I have little comparison. 

The interesting bit has been that I only packed six CDs in my baggage, (literally scooped a handful from the box of CDs back home, without much chosing) and so, for four months now, I have been listening to these six CDs in a sort of 'Desert Island Disks' type scenario. In many ways... enforced listening. The CD player also has the ability to do streaming and digital stuff, but being a consummate tech-dimwit, I have no idea how to do this. Perhaps 'no will' might be more accurate.

Disk number one: Massive Attack-Blue Lines. This album was epochal for me and everyone else I knew at the time in the West country where I grew up. I had lost sight of this album - like rekindling an old friendship. Loving the way the deep lows flow effortlessly from Thor and his Cambridge friend.

Disk number two: Eric Clapton-From the Cradle to the Grave. Not really doing it for me, but I am forced to listen to it occaisionally, simply because.... its one of my six disks.

Disk number three: Eat Static-Abduction. When Ozric Tentacles went dance... or trance in the early 90's. I used to love this album. There are moments when it can still capture a moment, but in general, I have to admit I have probably moved on... (or my state of mind more connected to the reaities of the day to day) after 25 years. If Massive Attack was like rekindling an old friendship, this one is like bumping into 'Jon' twenty five years on, and realising (apart from the fact that wearing poyester Ibiza casuals when you look like 72, but are only 44 is not hip) that the two stints in clink for credit card fraud and possesion and a pronounced loyalty to amphetemines, have left us with few things in common. However, there is a silver lining to this one, my line manager lives in the appartment below me and hates electronic music. He is also an arse.

Disk number four: More Rockers-Select Cuts. The first Bristol banging grinding bass paired with angelic female voice courtesy of Rob Smith.... still mental. Again, not easy, but mental. The basses are just insane, and you have to superglue or nail everything down to avoid the appartment vibrating iself apart. No kidding, the Elacs with that Electrocomapniet pulversise air molicules in a way I have never really experienced before. Works even better on the noxious neighbour. 

Disk number five: Fleetwood Mac-Rumours. I know, this is what my parents listened to (when they were pretending to be conservative - or had lent out all of the Led Zep.), and it is a rather odd choice for me. However.... it is an amazingly arranged album. Wow. In awe, again and again.

Disk number six: Leftfield-Leftfield. 'Inspection.... everthing ship-shape and shine?' Interestingly, this album has not lost its shine on me. A lot of those albums in the electronic genre over the last 20 years were 'mental' at the time, but just lost it as the world moved on. This one is still a balanced and compelling melange.... I listen to this one most. Not least because my better half appreciates it too. 

Overall, I recommend this pilgramage of sorts into lost or estranged musical friendships. Having so little choice works on the mind in quite a pleasant way.

Thanks for all the help:

Pyramus
What a brilliant write up! I enjoyed very much reading it..some of those choices I'm not am familiar with? So I'll take a listen...i hope your noxious neighbour gets their comeuppance! Lol...really entertaining read..thanks :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Pyramus said:
<snipped>

Thanks for all the help:

Pyramus

Quote of the year highlighted!

I'll take Tricky over More Rockers, personally. If I never heard anything by Eric C again, I'd consider myself lucky. Massive Attack & their label have been a major influence in creating Trip Hop & has determined a lot of my listening. Lerftism is an classic - the follow up not really. I'm going to admit to quite liking "Tuned mass-damper" by ES but streaming allows me to listen to a vast selection of music completely guilt-free! Thanks for sharing.

Pyramus

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ahhhhh, yes, Tricky.... if only I'd grabbed Tricky instead of Eric! That would be another friendship to rediscover. I really must work out how the streamer works. My pilgramage seems to be coming to an end.

'Jon' is actually real. Luckily I haven't bumped into him since 1991.

OK busb, you have convinced me to 'enter the Stream'. I am going to work this out, come hell or low bandwidth!

Thanks for reading,

Pyramus.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Pyramus said:
Ahhhhh, yes, Tricky.... if only I'd grabbed Tricky instead of Eric! That would be another friendship to rediscover. I really must work out how the streamer works. My pilgramage seems to be coming to an end.

'Jon' is actually real. Luckily I haven't bumped into him since 1991.

OK busb, you have convinced me to 'enter the Stream'. I am going to work this out, come hell or low bandwidth!

Thanks for reading,

Pyramus.

It more about Quality of Service (continuity rather than out & out bandwidth) but in theory that shouldn't matter - you just wait for the whole song to download 1st. Not sure what Absurdistan is like for that. Good luck. I've stopped buying music, I effvectively rent it! Some people want physical copies of music & books - it's the content I'm after & the ability to access it when I need to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts