current aerial dead and in need of HD. Freeview or freesat?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
so my currenet aerials dead. the wire is rusted, and im lucky to get 30 channels through my lg's freeview tuner. sometimes only 10.

i have two choices.

pay someone to fit a new aeriel £120 and buy humax hd freeview box £100.

or replace existing crusty sky dish £40 and fit myself, and buy humax or technisat freesat box. im not too interested in a pvr.

i live in a three story cottage so its a no no for me to get to the roof, but the dish is eiight foot from the ground and i can throw the lead over and tack it down.

which represents the best picture quality? or is it a simple choice of what channels i prefer?my neighbour has sky and in sd im not at all impressed, but hd is fantastic

Paul

daveh75

paultownsend said:
so my currenet aerials dead. the wire is rusted, and im lucky to get 30 channels through my lg's freeview tuner. sometimes only 10.

i have two choices.

pay someone to fit a new aeriel £120 and buy humax hd freeview box £100.

or replace existing crusty sky dish £40 and fit myself, and buy humax or technisat freesat box. im not too interested in a pvr.i live in a three story cottage so its a no no for me to get to the roof, but the dish is eiight foot from the ground and i can throw the lead over and tack it down.which represents the best picture quality? or is it a simple choice of what channels i prefer?my neighbour has sky and in sd im not at all impressed, but hd is fantastic

Paul
Freesat would seem the cheaper/simpler option for you...

IME Freesat, does offer slightly better PQ than Freeview. There's also more capacity/bandwidth available on Satellite than DTT (Freeview is limited to 5 HD channels, Freesat has potential for more to be added in the future).

It is also worth compairing Freesat and Freeview's channel line-ups though as Freeview has channels that freesat doesn't and vice versa...

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Have to agree with Daveh. Freesat for me.

I have Sky and Freeview and Sky picture is better and more consistant. No longer use the aerial. Also potential for growth. Satellite quality may have been dependant on neighbours TV and setup.

Have seen a kit in B&Q for £89 including HD satellite reciever and dish. Have no idea how good it is. Looking on Amazon you can get dish and Technisat seperate for around £125 and you can record if need be. Pretty good me thinks. All that quality HD for the cost of 6ish BD discs- bargain.

Wanted to mention that in a previous property i thought my TV aerial was broken until i decided to try a new Coax lead from wall socket to TV. It wasnt. May be worth trying first just in case, along with attachment to any socket or Coax quality.

Lastly do you not get all Freeview due to coverage or aerial? worth a look.

Good Luck,

Cookie Monster

A

Anonymous

the aerial cable is pooped. its literally a cable from the aerial down the outside of the house, through a hole in the window siliconed up.

had to use a female to male connector to join, but i had to cut it way back due to water ingress and rust. its a mess.

i could just try a new cable from the aerial. how does it attatch?

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't hold me to this but i think you draw the shielding back and wrap copper cable around aerial binding post. Bet there is a website with demonstration somewhere.

daveh75

paultownsend said:
the aerial cable is pooped. its literally a cable from the aerial down the outside of the house, through a hole in the window siliconed up.

had to use a female to male connector to join, but i had to cut it way back due to water ingress and rust. its a mess.

i could just try a new cable from the aerial. how does it attatch?

Chances are the weather cap has popped of the aerials dipole/balun and thats why you've got water in the cable. So the aerial is probably 'pooped' as well as the cable...

Cookie Monster said:
Don't hold me to this but i think you draw the shielding back and wrap copper cable around aerial binding post. Bet there is a website with demonstration somewhere.

The cable is usually attached to the baluns PCB by a 'saddle clamp' that fits over the cable sheathing/folded back braid/sheilding as CM describes above, and the cables central core is attached by a copper screw terminal block. Though increasingly these days aerials have sealed dipoles/baluns and have screw F connector type outputs like satellite dish LNBs and sat receivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts