Freeview or Freesat

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am about to buy a new TV, probably a Panasonic 37E5T, and will need a new PVR. I crrently use a Humax PVR with my old CRT. Will I get a picture from freesat than I do from freeview or will that simply depend on local conditions. Are there any other advantages in freesat over freeview. I currently have a roof mounted ariel and if I go for Freesat then I will need to invest in a satelite dish

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

As long as you get a good strong signal, I'd stick with freeview; more, and better channels.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Apologies but theTV I am thinking of buying is a Panasonic 37ET5B

I thought there were more channels on Freesat than Freeview, that is one of the reasons I thought about switching

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Info on Freesat channels here (150 inc BBC HD, BBC One HD, ITV 1 HD, 4 HD and NHK World HD, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player + radio) and Freeview here (50 channels and 4 in HD). In our experience, Freesat also gives you a slightly crisper picture.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Because my dish moved in stormy weather in Feb, I've had a few weeks of freeview instead of freesat. I found the freeview PQ to be much weaker than freesat, however my freesat is being upscaled by my Denon 3312, whereas the the freeview was processed by my tv (Sony bravia 40w4500).

"more channels" isn't really the reason to chose one over the other - the additional channels are likely to be marginal ones, teleshopping, phone-in s*x channels and the like. Take a look at the channels and see if there is actually one or two extra that will seal the deal for you. I like "Yesterday" on freeview (a history channel); my mother in law loves UMP (a classic bollywood channel) on freesat. The fifth HD channel on freesat is NKH World HD - so that won't be of much interest unless you're Japanese or have a particular interest in watching documentaries about the Gardens of Kyoto with a weirdly disjointed Japanese/American narration.

daveh75

There's more channels on Freesat than Freeview, but there is a few channels on Freeview that are hidden behind Skys paywall so not available on Freesat (Yesterday, Pick TV, Quest, Dave) if they're important to you.

I have both, but if i could only have one or the other i'd pick Freesat everytime.

Freesat's PQ is marginally better, it has potential for growth/adding more channels because it isn't bandwidth deprived like Freeview.

Freesat also has more red button/interactive streams than Freeview (though they maybe cut as part of BBCs cost cutting/to fall in line with FV), all BBC/ITV regions are available (which is handy for me being a Londoner living in the N.E who likes access to regional programming).

Freesat will also be gettiing the the 24 SD/HD Olympic streams, which aren't possible on FV because of it's bandwidth constraints...

daveh75

Which reminds me...

Tesco have a good deal atm. A Manhattan Plaza HD-S + Freesat install bundle for £90

http://www.tesco.com/direct/manhattan-plaza-hd-s-freesat-hd-installation-bundle/731-1041.prd?skuId=731-1041&pageLevel=

The Manhattan isn't a PVR but you're essentially getting it free, since the install would usually cost that alone. It would make an ideal second box for another room, and when the installer turns up, i'm sure they'd fit a Quad LNB and extra cabling for a PVR into another room for a nominal fee...

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Take care when relying on Freeview signal strength information.

I live in an area which has a published maximum signal strength and the TV also normally displays 10/10 for signal strength and signal quality. However there are several big trees nearby on a direct line of sight to the transmitter and when the trees are in leaf, and when it's raining or blowing, I lose the picture altogether and for a few seconds and all that is displayed is a black screen. This is not like pixellation that is experienced on poor signal strength, it's a total loss of picture. Annoying, but nothing I can do about it.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
If you are interested in the Olympics be aware that the BBC will be showing 24 additional HD channels on Freesat during the games.

Also if you like ClassicFM radio you will find it on Freesat but not on Freeview.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts