Freesat or Freeview HD?

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

My wife and I are thinking of getting a PVR. At the minute we just use Freeview, but have the option of hooking up to a communal satelite dish fitted on our appartment block. Is Freesat worth it over Freeview or Freeview HD? I should point out that with the standard aerial our Freeview reception is intermittent and we don't get all the channels. Will Freesat be immune form such issues?

Also, which PVR to go for? It must have 2 tuners and be easy to use!

Thanks..

A

Anonymous

I can't comment on Freeview HD as we don't yet seem to get it, but Freesat works very well, and the quality on HD channels is excellent. My understanding is that Freeview will only carry four HD channels, whereas Freesat is not limited in anything like the same way. TV has both built in, but we went for a Humax Foxsat PVR and it works brilliantly, has twin tuners etc.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dave_k said:
I should point out that with the standard aerial our Freeview reception is intermittent and we don't get all the channels. Will Freesat be immune form such issues?

Assuming the dish is properly aligned and all the cabling is in order it should be.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I've seen comments elsewhere that Freesat is now dead!!? I think this opinion is probably wrong but ITV2, ITV3 & ITV4 HD have gone to Sky & are covered by a 5yr contract that means no ITV HD apart from ITV1 on Freesat. This leaves BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD C4 HD & NHK World as the only current HD channels.

Not all stations that are available on Freeview are on Freesat: Yesterday is missing for example. Cannot commet on PVRs as my Panasonic has Freesat, Freeview & analogue built in. Freesat has been very reliable with an occasional glitch only. The Panasonic has a USB drive for time shifting. I have a spare satelite feed should I buy a PVR if I ever want to watch & record another channel at the same time.

Regards

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Dave K

I have both a DigitalStream Freeview recorder and a Humax Foxsat, both with twin tuners. In my opinion the DigitalStream is the better of the two, from an ease of use perspective.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Went out at the weekend and bought a Digitalstream Freeview HD box and very happy with it so far. Decided I didn't want the hassle of a dish install and following some changes to the local transmitter here all our channels are back to normal.
smiley-laughing.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
dave_k said:
Hello,

My wife and I are thinking of getting a PVR. At the minute we just use Freeview, but have the option of hooking up to a communal satelite dish fitted on our appartment block. Is Freesat worth it over Freeview or Freeview HD? I should point out that with the standard aerial our Freeview reception is intermittent and we don't get all the channels. Will Freesat be immune form such issues?

Also, which PVR to go for? It must have 2 tuners and be easy to use!

Thanks..

I bought a Humax Foxsat-HDR for my parents who, like you, have very poor Freeview reception where they live. It's hooked up to a communal satellite dish and works a treat.

It's also worth noting that you get BBC iPlayer, and the greater bandwidth on Freesat helps improve picture quality.

A

Anonymous

I have both, for Freesat I can use my TBS 6981, and for Freeview, I've just bought a new TBS 6280 :grin: and both cards are dual tuner, it think that's suitable for you, too?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts