Creek Evolution A 50 vs Roksan Kandy K 2

Can't answer the question directly as not had the pleasure in these new models.

Having had the LIII for home dem, I found that although the sound in the main was pretty impressive: full of guts and vigour, with some music it was little too overpowering.

With the Creek Evo2 I had on dem, that was ideal with MAs. The ideal balance (or as close as) between subtlety and attack and wasn't overpowering at all.

Your room could play a big part as mine is small-medium, and, of course, the newer models could influence the sound.

But if I were shortlisting the two (and I still had the MAs) I would tick the Creek as the first on my list.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Quote from Hi-Fi Choice:

Costing £750, Creek’s Evolution 50A is probably the Roksan K2 BT’s biggest rival. It’s very smooth and even sounding, rather like the Roksan. It’s possibly a little less punchy and the bass isn’t quite so barrel chested, and it’s a little more relaxing and not quite so energetic. This is partly down to the Creek’s power output, which is considerably lower than the Roksan’s, but you’d never call it lacking. But it makes music in a very natural, charming and subtle way – giving the sort of performance you’d never have got five years ago at this price. It’s also very flexible too, with the option of a tuner module, but no Bluetooth. An audition is a must for either.

http://www.roksan.co.uk/assets/roksan_high_res.pdf

Evo 50a - 50W p/c in 8ohms (7.5kg)

Kandy K2 - 175W p/c in 8ohms (14kg)

Both are well built and sound sweet and nonfatiguing. The Creek is prettier but it's half the amp the Kandy is, simple as that.

As for synergy with MA I bought my Kandy K2 BT from an MA dealership. Roksan and Monitor Audio is a beautiful match.

matthewpiano

Both very fine amplifiers so you need to audition with the rest of your system to decide. I'd say the HFC review Vladimir quotes is pretty accurate about the slightly different presentations of the two amps and it really does come down to preference in the end.

One thing I will say for Roksan. Their customer service is excellent. I had the display module fail on my K2 CDS. I sent it back to the dealer who sent it on to Roksan. It was back to me, fully repaired under the company's 5 year warranty, in a very short space of time. Things can go wrong with any brand of equipment but not all handle repairs so efficiently.

matthewpiano said:
Both very fine amplifiers so you need to audition with the rest of your system to decide. I'd say the HFC review Vladimir quotes is pretty accurate about the slightly different presentations of the two amps and it really does come down to preference in the end.

One thing I will say for Roksan. Their customer service is excellent. I had the display module fail on my K2 CDS. I sent it back to the dealer who sent it on to Roksan. It was back to me, fully repaired under the company's 5 year warranty, in a very short space of time. Things can go wrong with any brand of equipment but not all handle repairs so efficiently.

Hi Mr. Grendel. ;)

How does the K2 CDP compare with older MKIII?

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:

Hi Mr. Grendel. ;)

How does the K2 CDP compare with older MKIII?

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you PP. It is a long time since I heard a MkIII and I've never owned one. I've had the K2CDS a long time (2 years-ish) and experience suggests it needs the right system, but once you get it right it really is a wonderful bit of kit.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You need to listen to them!!! Matthew and I like the same type of music and often agree about things on this CB but I don't rate the K2 at all. I'm not saying I'm right but just that you need to hear things for yourself and make your own decision.

Chris

PS I bought the Marantz PM8005 which is to my ears much better.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Quote from Hi-Fi Choice:

Costing £750, Creek’s Evolution 50A is probably the Roksan K2 BT’s biggest rival. It’s very smooth and even sounding, rather like the Roksan. It’s possibly a little less punchy and the bass isn’t quite so barrel chested, and it’s a little more relaxing and not quite so energetic. This is partly down to the Creek’s power output, which is considerably lower than the Roksan’s, but you’d never call it lacking. But it makes music in a very natural, charming and subtle way – giving the sort of performance you’d never have got five years ago at this price. It’s also very flexible too, with the option of a tuner module, but no Bluetooth. An audition is a must for either.

http://www.roksan.co.uk/assets/roksan_high_res.pdf

Evo 50a - 50W p/c in 8ohms (7.5kg)

Kandy K2 - 175W p/c in 8ohms (14kg)

Both are well built and sound sweet and nonfatiguing. The Creek is prettier but it's half the amp the Kandy is, simple as that.

As for synergy with MA I bought my Kandy K2 BT from an MA dealership. Roksan and Monitor Audio is a beautiful match.

+1 for Roksan and Monitor Audio synergy.

matthewpiano

Covenanter said:
You need to listen to them!!! Matthew and I like the same type of music and often agree about things on this CB but I don't rate the K2 at all. I'm not saying I'm right but just that you need to hear things for yourself and make your own decision.

Chris

PS I bought the Marantz PM8005 which is to my ears much better.

Agreed. I'm not really saying I would buy the Roksan K2 amp. I actually agree with you that for the music we listen to it isn't the best option (different to the CD player which, now I've got the partnering right, sounds wonderful). For the balance of the music I listen to I'd much rather have my Exposure amp. However, it is a very capable amp, hence my reply.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would try the Creek Evolution 50A. Didn't like the Roksan K2 at all when I had it.......sold it after four weeks.

But you should audition if you can.......everyone has different ears ;)

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the K2 & it's a great amp if you do audition one in my experience it takes an age to warm up & even from standby takes a good hour before it starts sounds good, from cold (standby) it actually sounds dire - The longer it's playing music the better it sounds.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Thanks Matthew

I know when I was looking at replacing the fabulous but flawed Naim I mentioned Roksan K2 CDP, you wasn't that hot on it at the time. So just wondered whether you had a comparison between the two Kandys.

It has taken a lot of patience to get the best out of the K2 CD player. There have been times when I have been close to selling it.

I still may well change it for something with SACD capability later on - possibly a Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite or SA8005...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I found the pre BT model to be very bold and upfront, to the extent that the main threads of the music seemed over emphasised at the expense of lower level detail, ambience etc.

A little like the audio equivalent of a TV with the colour turned up a bit too far.

The 50A I found to be far more even handed, more 'sophisticated' and natural in the way that it handled the musical information. A league above, despite the lower power capability.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
I found the pre BT model to be very bold and upfront, to the extent that the main threads of the music seemed over emphasised at the expense of lower level detail, ambience etc.

A little like the audio equivalent of a TV with the colour turned up a bit too far.

My experience also. The sound was just too overwhelming.........I like to relax when listening to music but this amp didn't let me ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
davedotco said:

My experience also. The sound was just too overwhelming.........I like to relax when listening to music but this amp didn't let me ;)

Interesting.

I'm just the opposite, I like a system that 'demands' my attention but not by shouting at me, which is what the Kandy does. I like to be drawn in and involved, excited too, but this amp didn't do that, for me anyway.

For what it is worth, I think this has been a common but by no means universal trait of some Roksan components, the old Shiraz mc cartridge and Darius speakers certainly had it, though the record players and the early CD players did not......... :?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
I like a system that 'demands' my attention but not by shouting at me,

That's why I can't enjoy Rotel amps. They do a lot of things right but it's always a bit too forward sounding for me......I tend to lower the volume then because I'm beginning to feel a bit restless and that's not good ;)

The Pioneer A-30 amp I have now sounds just right to me. I know it's just a budget amp but the sound is perfectly balanced (to my ears).

It sounds very tempting to try the Creek evolution 50A though.............awesome reviews everywhere but the bass is worrying me. Every reviewer so far says there's not enough of it. Also I don't know any place (I live in Holland) where I can audition it.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Neptune_Twilight said:
I have the K2 & it's a great amp if you do audition one in my experience it takes an age to warm up & even from standby takes a good hour before it starts sounds good, from cold (standby) it actually sounds dire - The longer it's playing music the better it sounds.

If this is true, and I take you word for it, what use is that? I'm not going to want to wait an hour before something sounds good!

Chris

PS This may be why the K2 sounded rubbish when I auditioned it.
smiley-laughing.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
davedotco said:
I like a system that 'demands' my attention but not by shouting at me,

That's why I can't enjoy Rotel amps. They do a lot of things right but it's always a bit too forward sounding for me......I tend to lower the volume then because I'm beginning to feel a bit restless and that's not good ;)

The Pioneer A-30 amp I have now sounds just right to me. I know it's just a budget amp but the sound is perfectly balanced (to my ears).

It sounds very tempting to try the Creek evolution 50A though.............awesome reviews everywhere but the bass is worrying me. Every reviewer so far says there's not enough of it. Also I don't know any place (I live in Holland) where I can audition it.

I guess it depends on what you consider the right amount of bass. Personally I think the bass of the 50A is it's strong point, tight, controlled and devoid of the false 'warmth' and 'bloom' that plagues most sub £1000 amplifiers.

'Punters', in the main, like lots of bass, so a lot of amplifier manufacturers give it to them. That much of the 'bass' produced bares no relationship to any instruments actually being played somehow seems not to matter, strange......... :?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:
Do you rate the Arcam A19, Dave? I've read good things about how well it controls the bass, too.

Not up to speed on current Arcam product, so I really do not know.

Older Arcam amplifiers were overly warm for my taste. Had a modest involvement about 15 years ago with the then new owner, updating the product line and making it sound more 'modern' was a priority.

Didn't really get involved beyond preliminary discussions though.

Sorry, chaps, if I sound so negative.

All that counts, whichever way one wishes to twist it, is how it sounds with your current equipement and, ideally, in your listening room.

For all of Dave's knowledge - I won't question that one jot - it comes down to room size and taste. That is one thing he can't cater for.

This is one of the reasons why I purchased the Pulse: In the review it had "lean" and "fast" as opposed to pedestrian presentation of budget/midrange Marantzes, Nads, Yamahas etc etc. They are good but the Pulse takes two steps further IMO. But that is for my room and taste.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
K2 is not for the tea sipping crowds. Gets your blood preasure up quite a bit, its almost like the 'mericans made it.
eek.gif

Getting less for more gives that delusional feeling of quality, lustre and sensibility. This is why women buy expensive small designer purses in which you can barely fit a lighter. Scarcity = value. Depends on your POV ofc. ;)

Only problem with the K2 series is its price, it should be 3x more just like its performance.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Sorry, chaps, if I sound so negative.

All that counts, whichever way one wishes to twist it, is how it sounds with your current equipement and, ideally, in your listening room.

For all of Dave's knowledge - I won't question that one jot - it comes down to room size and taste. That is one thing he can't cater for.

This is one of the reasons why I purchased the Pulse: In the review it had "lean" and "fast" as opposed to pedestrian presentation of budget/midrange Marantzes, Nads, Yamahas etc etc. They are good but the Pulse takes two steps further IMO. But that is for my room and taste.

I am not familiar with any Leema product, though the impression I get is that it is pitched at a slightly higer price point than those we are discussing.

From what I have heard it sounds right up my street but I have never tried it.

Clearly the room and partnering equipment will be important but I always feel that 'taste' is overated. Real ability in hi-fi is usually pretty obvious, a decent demonstration should make this clear. Sadly such demonstrations appear to be a rarity these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts