Creek Evolution – 50A vs Marantz PM6005

bmf

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new in the hifi waters, i'm just starting to wet my toes.

i want to build a new hifi sistem. So far i'we got a Arcam IRDAC

There is a sale in my country for the following amps

Creek Evolution – 50A - £430

Marantz PM6005 - £250

What to buy.. ? is the Creek worth the extra money? In the site review they said that it lacks bass

i don't have a big budget £700 for amp and speakers

I haven't got any speakers, i'm open to suggestions.

Thx

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bmf said:
Hi,

Marantz PM6005 - £250

What to buy.. ? is the Creek worth the extra money? In the site review they said that it lacks bass

Thx
hi you will not go wrong with the marantz pm6005 its a lovely amp for the money and it works very well with your dac as i have the same one as you have and i did have the the pm6005 before up grading to the bigger marantz pm8005 amp . the dali 3s will work well with marantz gear too and i think if you take a look on richer sounds they are doing a packge deal for the amp ,the matching cd player and the dali 3s or look on ebay for a secondhand marantz pm6005 as they sell for about £200 -50 secondhand but all 3 are very good starters to get on the hifi ladder and the bouns is you have the arcam dac which is better then the one used in the marantz cd player as there is a dac in the pm6005 as well

D

Deleted member 108165

bmf said:
Hi,

Marantz PM6005 - £250

Thx

I have never heard the Creek but have owned various Marantz amps and they are good amps. However, the Creek is a better amp than the Marantz, that is why it is more expensive. If you were to compare the Creek 50A to the Marantz 8005 that would be a more difficult choice but against the 6005 it would have to be the Creek. Not sure about speakers but have heard that Creek pairs well with Monitor Audio.

Your money so your choice, but try not to buy without hearing both amps to see which you prefer.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Is it a Creek Evo 50? That is very well favoured on this forum, although i havent heard it. I would say the Creek would be worth the extra money

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Creek is in a different class to the Marantz, it costs in excess of £1k with the dac board (to match functionality with the Marantz) and has several times the current capabilities.

It is not 'light in the bass' either, that's nonsense, it simply does not suffer from the artificial warmth (bass bloat?) of many budget amplifiers.

It's a class act, at the price quoted, it's a steal.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
and his budgets £700 thats why i said marantz pm6005 as its well under the budget unless he gets a secondhand creek amp and he needs speakers too so what i have said fits in with the budget plus gives money for cables and cds with the left over money if there is

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
and his budgets £700 thats why i said marantz pm6005 as its well under the budget unless he gets a secondhand creek amp and he needs speakers too so what i have said fits in with the budget plus gives money for cables and cds with the left over money if there is

We've already established that the OP already has an irDAC and the offer of a Creek 50a for £430. (So the issue of the - optional - Creek Ruby DAC is moot.)

I agree that this is a 'steal' for the money and should be snapped up. Ok it leaves a little less for speakers but that's better than a PM6005 with more expensive speakers.

rainsoothe

Agreed. If it's not a PM8005 or an Arcam A19, the Creek is the obvious choice. Just dont partner it with very bright speakers. Check XTZ 93.23 mk2 if you want a pair of great bargain speakers, Monitor Audio Silver 2 or Q Acoustics Concept 20 (or 40 or Q Acoustics 3050 if you want floorstanders). Try to audition if you can, but that price is amazing for the Creek, so you could just buy it and audition it with several speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This money would buy you a cyrus 8vs or vs2, a matching PSX-R and a pair of Usher S520 second hand.

If you're lucky you may even have enough left for some VDH CS122 Hybrid speaker cable and a length of Profigold Oxypure 1m interconnects.

Just to give you an alternative idea :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
As a long standing Creek/Epos man I would have to say at that price the Creek 50A is the one, and then keep an eye out for a 2nd hand pair of Epos Elan 10 or 15 stand mounts. Should come in right on budget, along with some Van Damme speaker cable.

DIB said:
As a long standing Creek/Epos man I would have to say at that price the Creek 50A is the one, and then keep an eye out for a 2nd hand pair of Epos Elan 10 or 15 stand mounts. Should come in right on budget, along with some Van Damme speaker cable.

Quite agree. excellent partnership and as previously posted (davedotco) that the Creek is in a different league to the Marantz and +1 for 'its a steal'.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive not heard the creek but going on specs alone and not just the power rating id go for th creek 100% over the marantz. Id also agree with others in here that the marantz 8005 would be better competition for the creek.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Creek is in a different class to the Marantz, it costs in excess of £1k with the dac board (to match functionality with the Marantz) and has several times the current capabilities.

It is not 'light in the bass' either, that's nonsense, it simply does not suffer from the artificial warmth (bass bloat?) of many budget amplifiers.

This is very true. Well controlled grippy bass does not sound bloated or over done bass and to the untrained ear may sound like its lacking but its not and after a while it becomes very apparent

bmf

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm from Romania, so there is a limited offer on hifi tech.

I found a review on the site for the cambridge_audio_aero_6! - £555

http://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/aero-6/review

In the review they say that these speakers are the best in this price range... Are they?? i can get a great deal (12 fix payments of ~ £47 per month).

I'll try to buy the arcam, but i'm a lot over budget

The CYRUS 8 vs2 also looks very nice, but only from ebay, i don't think i can find it in my country.

thx guys

le: http://www.jack-fi.ro/categorie/jack-friday/

http://www.jack-fi.ro/produs/arcam-a38-2/ ??

http://www.jack-fi.ro/produs/15376/ ?

ps: divide the amount in ron by 6.3 to get pounds...

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I had heard the marantz pm6004, infact bought 1 to replace my old musical fidelity e10. My 20 yrs old MF beat it hands down in every department so back it went where it came from. After almost 2 years of looking i found the amp i was looking for, creek evo 50a. Absolutely amazing. It doesn't lack bass at all ,As you would move from cheaper to more expensive amp it is quite a natural thing to notice along with having to really turn the volume knob to make it go louder. I would definately recommend the creek. The dealer i bougt it from don't do bw so we had it connected to focal speakers and they sounded really good.

@ £450 evo 50a is a bargain.

all the best

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

++1 for creek

rainsoothe

Ah, salut :)

I had that particular A38 on home dem and, imo, it's amazing. I almost kept it , but instead opted to go for a Unitiqute 2 + Nap100. Yes, that's what I compared it with, but it was being fed by a Naim dac V1. The guys at Jack are amazing, and if you get speakers from them as well, maybe you'll get a good deal. I personally swore I'd never buy from the guys at the "planet" place, and I prefer to buy the brands they're stocking online, even if it means paying a little extra. But don't let my previous experience stop you, especially as the CA speakers might actually be a great match for the A38.

As for the A38, there's no comparison. The Creek, good as it is, sounds like a portable radio in comparison. Audition the A38. It's brilliant and you won't regret the extra money you'll spend.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, the A38 is in a completely different price class which, in turn, puts it up against other products, not least Creeks own Evo 100.

The OP is already considering paying for the speakers in installments so personally I would advise against burdening yourself with any more credit purchases. Just my thoughts.

I know it's tempting to go that little further. I also know its easy to get carried away. I've been there once.

I think your Evo 50 or whatever else you choose will give you much enjoyment.

rainsoothe

ye, but it's only like 650 quid on its own. Maybe even less with a speaker package. It's a steal! :)

But ye, the Creek is also good enough indeed, and again, way better then the PM6005. If I were to chose between the Creek A50 or Arcam A19 I would defo go for the Arcam, even if the bass is not as well defined as on the Creek.

OP, do arrange an audition - it's really the best way to decide. Ask them to partner the A19 with Focal Aria 906 at least, or just tell them your needs, they'll accomodate you anyway they can. Audition at least the Arcam A19, Creek A50, the Arcam A38 and also a Naim Nait 5si. Again, the guys at Jack are very helpful. Go audition and let us know how it went. Oh, and also describe whatever you want from your sound, or whatever you dislike in the setups they provide.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts