Nad 352 vs Marantz PM6005

Cruncs321

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi All

I've just got hold of a set of Sonus Faber Concertino speakers and I'm looking for advice on which budget amplifier is best to power them with.

I've actually just ordered a NAD C352, however have recently come across a Marantz PM6005 for roughly the same price - can anyone let me know if there will be a discernible difference between these two. The PM6005 is obviously far more modern, although this of course does not always mean better.

Keen to hear anybody's thoughts.

Thanks

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I can’t comment on the Nad but I had the PM6005 for 5 years. Great amp, nice warm sound and superb for the money. I only replaced it because the new speakers needed something with more power.

Reactions: Cruncs321
Hi All

I've just got hold of a set of Sonus Faber Concertino speakers and I'm looking for advice on which budget amplifier is best to power them with.

I've actually just ordered a NAD C352, however have recently come across a Marantz PM6005 for roughly the same price - can anyone let me know if there will be a discernible difference between these two. The PM6005 is obviously far more modern, although this of course does not always mean better.

Keen to hear anybody's thoughts.

Thanks

What made you buy these SFs and the NAD? They are excellent speakers but they'll need a far better amplifier than the NAD and the Marantz. The Nad is a ballsy amp but doubt it'll have the necessary quality to make the most of the Sonus Fabers. Plus both amps are quite fluid and smooth, which mirrors the SF -- tonally I can't see them working unless you have stone flooring and no soft furnishings.

Regular participant @nopiano owned Sonus Fabers (can't remember which model) but he's best placed to give you advice on the best amp at the cheapest price.

I would guess, absolute minimum, Creek Evo 50, Primare i21, Leema Pulse, Naim Nait 5i... or something on those lines.

Reactions: nopiano
What made you buy these SFs and the NAD? They are excellent speakers but they'll need a far better amplifier than the NAD and the Marantz. The Nad is a ballsy amp but doubt it'll have the necessary quality to make the most of the Sonus Fabers. Plus both amps are quite fluid and smooth, which mirrors the SF -- tonally I can't see them working unless you have stone flooring and no soft furnishings.

Regular participant @nopiano owned Sonus Fabers (can't remember which model) but he's best placed to give you advice on the best amp at the cheapest price.

I would guess, absolute minimum, Creek Evo 50, Primare i21, Leema Pulse, Naim Nait 5i... or something on those lines.
As I recall @nopianos' speakers were Sonus Faber Grand Piano and driven by a Krell k300

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano
I know he had a Krell but can't recall the model of SFs. Nevertheless, he's better qualified than most to advise.
Yes, Al remembered correctly. Mine were the floor standers, Concerto Grand Piano. The amp was the 150wpc Krell KAV-300. They aren’t that hard to drive and the smaller Concertino are popular with valve amp users too, probably in smaller rooms. But as you say, they aren’t usually paired with budget amps, so it’s a tricky one.
Although I’m very fond of many Marantz products, I think the NAD with 80wpc and the ability to drive lower impedance speakers is the lesser of two evils here. But to the OP, please try to hear the Sonus Fabers on something better if you can. They are lush with the right source.
Both designs will be getting on in years, so the condition may be a factor too.

Cruncs321

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi All, thank you for your responses - all very insightful.

I didn't buy the Concertinos but have been gifted them. Most of my listening has been done on active focal studio monitors so I'm quite keen to have have something with more of a 'warm' sound. I always loved listening to them and I'm pleased to hear they seem to be held in fairly high regard.

I'm aware that these speakers deserve to be powered with something more than the NAD, but I ordered one in haste just to find a quick budget solution to get them going at home whilst looking for something more permanent. I then came across the Marrantz for the same price which is some ten years newer so wondered if it would be a worthwhile swap.

Good to hear from @nopiano that the extra power of the NAD might be better in these circumstances as that was my reasoning initially for ordering - more watts for buck as it were. I note your comment @plastic penguin about needing to look in the direction of something with a cleaner sound to match well with the SFs.

I'll explore some of the amp options you've suggested above - I did also have my eyes on a new Rega Brio which I thought may be a reasonable compromise.

Thanks for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts