Crackle and Hiss......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking that there is a slight crackle and hiss coming from one of me tweeters.............

Obviously this is not good...... but to what extent of 'not good' do forum dwellers think?

Is it on the way out or completely gone (it only happens at high volume) and is it repairable (spare part availability permitting)... if it is should I undertake the repair myself....? To clarify we are not talking about £500 Epos units here.... some 'for fun' tannoys purloined off of Ebay for £30...............

Any help will be greatfully appreciated.............

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
just discoverd i got the same problem with my mezzo 2s for the first time today i cranked them up and one tweeter started crackle hiss on a couple of tracks only a month old 2

A

Anonymous

Messiah:
How high is the volume getting 'cranked'?? What Amp is used??

Erm.... no-one will think that I cranked it now... but it was for me......

Arcam A85...... I had it up to 65 on the numerical volume thing.... Lou Reed - 'Satellite of Love'

A

Anonymous

bloatedgut:Messiah:
How high is the volume getting 'cranked'?? What Amp is used??

Erm.... no-one will think that I cranked it now... but it was for me......

Arcam A85...... I had it up to 65 on the numerical volume thing.... Lou Reed - 'Satellite of Love'

Am currently putting the snooker (Ronnie O' vs. Stephen Maguire) on it volume at 60 and there is no crackling and hiss.... but there is a little 'ruffling' but that might be because I am streaming it from the net.......

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:im using onkyo 605 ,dac magic,qed silver anniversary.and i had it up to 70 vol

Erm.... well my Dad could kick your Dad in...... so na-na-n-naa-naaaaaah

Oh..... and did it crackle and hiss?

A

Anonymous

Lol, 60 on that amp through those speakers = deafness!
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Lol, 60 on that amp through those speakers = deafness!
emotion-4.gif

Well it was an important match....... Ronnie marches on to a classic with Selby..............

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
must say i dont play music that loud most of the time but ive had speaker a month and its the first chance ive had to c what they can do.

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:must say i dont play music that loud most of the time but ive had speaker a month and its the first chance ive had to c what they can do.

The 'My dad is harder than yours...' comment was because I thought
that your second comment was from a random who had come along and read
my comment and was trying to out-do me - so I owe you an apology there
for being a bit of a fool.......

I do not know the Onkyo
amps (although they receive good write ups here.... and I have not
heard of the speakers either (this is because I am a hi-fi newbie,
though) however it does sound loud loud..... if you know what I
mean..... I mean 65 is as loud as I have gone and I would say that that
was medium loud.... the neighbours might bang on the wall loud, but it
is the middle of the day and it is only for one song so **** 'em.... I
could not of gone up to 70.... so it the Onkyo and Arcam have parity in
the volume stakes then yes it is loud.

The distortion that I am encountering though is fairly constant... and although noticeable only when I cranked it up there is minor 'ruffling' distortion when I turn it back down.... whereas yours seems to be very intermitant.... so I think that there is more hope for you..... however they must still be in warranty so why not take them back to the dealer and get them to listen to them? They will know if there is something wrong and fix/swap them....... at least then you would know.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
bloatedgut:Am currently putting the snooker (Ronnie O' vs. Stephen Maguire) on it volume at 60 and there is no crackling and hiss.... but there is a little 'ruffling' but that might be because I am streaming it from the net.......

There is always background noise in the snooker venue (heaters, etc.).

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:must say i dont play music that loud most of the time but ive had speaker a month and its the first chance ive had to c what they can do.

Just like a car, don't thrash your speakers until they are run-in properly. How do I know this? I learnt it the hard way; I have a pair of Mission E30 speakers which now have a creaking driver everytime any woofer excursion takes place because I played Van Halen to "see what they could do" on a ridiculously powerful JVC amplifier when they were new. I admit, it was funny because they were so loud it caused the top of the cabinet to seperate from the main speaker, turning them into a bass-reflex design for free!
emotion-4.gif

But no, it's silly - respect your speakers. And remember,

A brand new pair of speakers - £300
A ridiculously powerful amplifier - £250
A copy of Led Zep's IV - £12
A broken pair of speakers and no more music - priceless...

A

Anonymous

bloatedgut:
I am thinking that there is a slight crackle and hiss coming from one of me tweeters.............

Obviously this is not good...... but to what extent of 'not good' do forum dwellers think?

Is it on the way out or completely gone (it only happens at high volume) and is it repairable (spare part availability permitting)... if it is should I undertake the repair myself....? To clarify we are not talking about £500 Epos units here.... some 'for fun' tannoys purloined off of Ebay for £30...............

Any help will be greatfully appreciated.............

Isn't that a U2 CD? Oh, that's Rattle and Hum.........I'll get me coat...

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
no worries mate i didnt take it that way after hearing the noise i ran to pc to get advice and the first thing i saw was"crackle and hiss"weird thats what i was thinking.

,i think i will just give my speakers a bit of time to run in .it was only a bit of a hiss now and then and i dont play them that loud 90% of the time.i just hope it dosent start doing that at lower levals.i might just let the store no just incase it gets worse .the only thing that got me worried was it was just one speaker that did this if it was boath i would have thought oops to loud.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts