Short impressions

insider9

How do you describe Hegel sound? How do you describe something that's not there?

I spent the first 45 minutes wondering just that on my first listen. It was a confusing experience. Having read every single review of the Rost I could find and talking about Hegel with others both online and in person I had a certain expectation. My reservations were how it would sound with my speakers, in my room and whether it would not sound thin, dry and/or uninvolving.

Having spent 3 days with Rost and some part of it listening via Hegel HD12 DAC I can certainly report it's none of the above. In fact now having spent more time listening to H160 I can begin to formulate some idea of Hegel sound (if there's such a thing)

I'll do my best to keep it short this time.

I'd describe both as neutral, dynamic with good musicality, rhtythm and pace. Can't really get any more vague than this... I know, right? There is however a maked difference between the two which isn't suble.

Both units have built in DAC that are decent sounding. From what I belive I've read they're the same. H160 implementation of the DAC is better. Rost sounds very well via any of it's digital inputs but its sound can be further imporved using analogue inputs.

H160 has a more expansive soundstage and slightly better top. Rost feels more controled however which is weird as it has half the power. It's probably as it has a shorter bass with a tad more rhythm. What's lacking in comparison in the size of the soundstage is made up with how it handles every note. Each instrument has a very distinct timbre which appears from completely black background. So where H160 is perhaps better with macro dynamics the nuances of micro dynamics are imrpoved in the Rost. Due to a sheer variety of timbre and what feels like lower noise floor Rost also appears more detailed.

I feel H160 would do better with speakers that may need more bass oomph. My speakers don't need it as plenty of bass coming from these 10" woofers. The shorter bass of Rost is prefered as it results in better rhythm. I tested Rost via all inputs except balanced with 2 external DAC. Used H160 mostly via its digial inputs (optical and USB).

Feel free to ask any questions. As it will be easier to clarify than to write it all up all over again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks. I probably have one or two more questions later.

Does any frequency range stand out even slightly on either model and how do the respective amps sound at high and low volume?

What are you comparing them to at present ie. your system?

insider9

They are both neutral. However H160 handles uppermids and highs slightly better and it feels more open. Rost has a presentation that although even handed has more emphasis on rhythm with kick drum and bass notes. Shorter yet still tuneful and most importantly in my room not casuing issues. Happy to listen to Rost with no DSP.

I would say this it's to do with better attack of individual notes and faster decay than actual tonal emphasis. Certainly no colouration can be found with either.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
They are both neutral. However H160 handles uppermids and highs slightly better and it feels more open. Rost has a presentation that although even handed has more emphasis on rhythm with kick drum and bass notes. Shorter yet still tuneful and most importantly in my room not casuing issues. Happy to listen to Rost with no DSP.

I would say this it's to do with better attack of individual notes and faster decay than actual tonal emphasis. Certainly no colouration can be found with either.

Thanks Insider.

I edited my post. What is your current system and room size? Does the Roest have enough power?

Being dragged out for Xmas shopping so back later :)

insider9

drummerman said:
What are you comparing them to at present ie. your system?

Right now it's against the Densen. Densen is better than Rost at mids and top. H160 comes closer but not quite although draws slighly bigger sound stage. Densen has this euphonic quality which both Hegels don't posses. Densen has a softer bass when compared to both but isn't as clean, especially against Rost. All three are dynamic, musical and very good with rhythm with no colourations.

insider9

drummerman said:
Thanks Insider.

I edited my post. What is your current system and room size? Does the Roest have enough power?

Being dragged out for Xmas shopping so back later :)

No probs. Enjoy!

My system including photos is here

Rost has plenty of power and doesn't really feel weaker than H160.

insider9

drummerman said:
how do the respective amps sound at high and low volume?

Densen is head and shoulders above both at low volume listening. I'd go as far as say magical. Especially with how it handles vocals.

Both Hegels only start singing at medium volume but the higher you can get the better. I'd even say Rost is better at higher volume due to interacting with room less than H160.

insider9 said:
drummerman said:
how do the respective amps sound at high and low volume?

Densen is head and shoulders above both at low volume listening. I'd go as far as say magical. Especially with how it handles vocals.

Both Hegels only start singing at medium volume but the higher you can get the better. I'd even say Rost is better at higher volume due to interacting with room less than H160.

Very similar findings to mine but only listened to H160. Can I ask which Densen you were referring to?

I used to own a Primare Pre / Power combo and the Hegel reminded me of that.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam glad for you, that you hear so well, and decipher the differences in sound quality. Iam totally lost here. So lost...that i can just barely make out different speakers. Amps just a bit...and Dac's.... no way...So is there something wrong with my hearing . Are these differences not subtle, do I have to pointedly listen for them. Sorry, to interrupt your flow, but your elonquent praise of the hegel got me thinking. I aspire to have a hegel 360 one day. And that will be my last amp ever till I win the lottery. Have ordered a pair of spare drivers for my PMC's to future proof them to the extent possible :))

TRENDING THREADS