Connecting stereo to TV...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First of all, apologies for some very basic issues - this is all very new to me, and I'm after some advice.

Having just purchased a new samsung flatscreen, I'm looking for a way to bolster the sound somewhat, as the in-built TV speakers obviously aren't that great.

I use my PS3 [connected to TV via HDMI] to play games, watch movies, and listen to CDs

I don't really want a home cinema kit, as I don't need or want surround sound.

1) So, could I get an amp and some speakers, and connect them to the TV? IS it as simple as connecting the amp to the TV via the red and white phono plugs? Would that then mean that everything (including films, games, CDs etc) would come out of said speakers?

Not having a huge budget I've been researching the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A V2.0 paired with MS Avant 902i or Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs. Any opinions on others in that rough price range would be welcomed. Maximum budget would be £500 for everything

2) Would there be more benefit buying an AV reciever and hooking everything up through that? (I also have a Wii)

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

First of all, you need to check if your Samsung has stereo phono (RCA red and white) outputs for music. You need to check these are 100% outputs, not inputs. If it does, that's great and then just connect the amp and connect everything to the TV like normal. Job done.

However, if it doesn't, you need to connect everything to the amplifier - ie, your PS3, your DVD player etc...then switch the input depending on what you are watching on your TV. To connect your TV, use the headphone output and turn it up to near full volume.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
CapnR:
First of all, apologies for some very basic issues - this is all very new to me, and I'm after some advice.

Having just purchased a new samsung flatscreen, I'm looking for a way to bolster the sound somewhat, as the in-built TV speakers obviously aren't that great.

I use my PS3 [connected to TV via HDMI] to play games, watch movies, and listen to CDs

I don't really want a home cinema kit, as I don't need or want surround sound.

1) So, could I get an amp and some speakers, and connect them to the TV? IS it as simple as connecting the amp to the TV via the red and white phono plugs? Would that then mean that everything (including films, games, CDs etc) would come out of said speakers?

Not having a huge budget I've been researching the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A V2.0 paired with MS Avant 902i or Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs. Any opinions on others in that rough price range would be welcomed. Maximum budget would be £500 for everything

2) Would there be more benefit buying an AV reciever and hooking everything up through that? (I also have a Wii)

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

If you are using the PS3 as your cd player as well, I would connect it to a stereo amp like the 540 using coaxial so that you use the DAC in the amp rather than the PS3s. You can then connect the LCD to the amp with RCA cables. It would sound much better than what you have at the moment. I would check out the 640 from CA. If you don't mind silver, it is cheaper than the 540! Add some Dali Lektor 1s and you are away...

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=DALI-LEKTOR1-LGT-WAL

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-640A-V2-SIL

A

Anonymous

I have a samsung tv too and have;

blueray to tv using hdmi. tv to stereo amp using RCA = pretty reasonable sound.

(I could put the blueray straight into amp for better sound but have yet to buy a cable)ÿ

But if you ÿwant to use it for cd playback too, I'd go with gerrardasnails to get the best sound

A

Anonymous

I have a Samsung TV, a Super XX Exposure Stereo Amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers, and PS3

PS3 to TV is connected via HDMI

TV Output L & R RCA Audio Outputs connected to L & R Amp Audio Inputs via QED2 speaker cable

Works a treat and what's more no lyp Sync issues which so many people still seem to experience

I get great dialogue and music sound in stereo and even effects sound pretty good

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the speedy advice, it's really helped me clear up a few issues.

One thing though - by 'coaxial' do you mean the 'digital out (optical)' port? And if so, I presume the CA 540 and 640 support that? I haven't been able to find it out.

Now all I need to do is narrow down my speaker choices :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, as you say, the PS3 doesn't have a coaxial output only optical and the Cambridge doesn't have an input for this. You could either look around for an amp with an optical in (don't know of any off the top of my head I'm afraid), or get something like this to convert the optical to a coaxial signal.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

Apologies to OP for using his thread for a heads-up. Ok, I have Panasonic 42PX8, CA 640A V2, and MA RS6. PX8 has something called as 'Monitor Out' and the rest are all inputs. So, can I connect using RCA cables to this 'Monitor Out' to 640A V2, will it work. If not, please tell me the procedure to do it.

Thanks very much indeed.

daveh75

vinod_david:Hi: Apologies to OP for using his thread for a heads-up. Ok, I have Panasonic 42PX8, CA 640A V2, and MA RS6. PX8 has something called as 'Monitor Out' and the rest are all inputs. So, can I connect using RCA cables to this 'Monitor Out' to 640A V2, will it work. If not, please tell me the procedure to do it. Thanks very much indeed. Just had a quick look at the instructions on-line, and yes the "monitor out" is for connection to an amp using rca

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:vinod_david:Hi: Apologies to OP for using his thread for a heads-up. Ok, I have Panasonic 42PX8, CA 640A V2, and MA RS6. PX8 has something called as 'Monitor Out' and the rest are all inputs. So, can I connect using RCA cables to this 'Monitor Out' to 640A V2, will it work. If not, please tell me the procedure to do it. Thanks very much indeed. Just had a quick look at the instructions on-line, and yes the "monitor out" is for connection to an amp using rca

Ok. So, from 'Monitor Out' in TV where do I connect the RCA cables to the Intergrated Amplifier (640A V2). And, once I switch on the TV and Integrated Amplifier, does the sound automatically comes to the speakers ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Basically, find a spare input on the amp. Looking at the manual, there's one named Aux which might be a good one, or you could use DVD if it's spare - it doesn't matter which one except for Rec Out 1 and Rec Out 2 as these are outputs for a tape loop. Then, just select this input on the amp when the TV is turned on and you should get sound.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Basically, find a spare input on the amp. Looking at the manual, there's one named Aux which might be a good one, or you could use DVD if it's spare - it doesn't matter which one except for Rec Out 1 and Rec Out 2 as these are outputs for a tape loop. Then, just select this input on the amp when the TV is turned on and you should get sound.

Just now connected red and white of RCA from Aux of int. amplifier to red and white of Monitor Out of PX8. Switched on amp. increased volume, no sound, why ?

A

Anonymous

vinod_david:professorhat:Basically, find a spare input on the amp. Looking at the manual, there's one named Aux which might be a good one, or you could use DVD if it's spare - it doesn't matter which one except for Rec Out 1 and Rec Out 2 as these are outputs for a tape loop. Then, just select this input on the amp when the TV is turned on and you should get sound.

Just now connected red and white of RCA from Aux of int. amplifier to red and white of Monitor Out of PX8. Switched on amp. increased volume, no sound, why ?

Make sure the TV is set to output sound via the outputs in the TV's menu and you may have to turn the TV volume up, I'm not sure...

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Also, amp is set to Aux input?

Sorry, selected the wrong input in amp. Connected to Aux now, and it works perfect, good sound from RS6 for movies in 2-channel mode.

Thanks PH and Hughes for valuable inputs.

A

Anonymous

vinod_david:professorhat:
Good stuff!

One last clarification, doing the duty for 2-channel music and 2-channel HT, can the amplifier and speaker handle this ?

Yep, should be no problems if your not a bass head or the amp is excessively turned up.

TRENDING THREADS